What game engine will be simpler?

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
After a year's study, I have learned to use daz, but I don't understand it at all.
Have you ever played the game of aorrta? I tried to make this sandbox, but I can't program, I'm not proficient in English, and my math is poor. What should I do?

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I tried to make this sandbox, but I can't program, I'm not proficient in English, and my math is poor. What should I do?
1. Be not lazy.
1a. Learn English.
2. Learn Math.
3. Learn to Program.
4. Use what you learned to program to code a sandbox.
5. While learning all of that, hone your lighting and posing in Daz.
6. Profit.

If you're a lazy person, this stuff ain't for you. You spend 6+ months alone working on it, with no feedback or anyone to talk to, release it to people most likely shitting on it, bitching about it being a sandbox and asking every other post if there's NTR, and then you do it all over again for the next update. It's hard work, thankless (for the most part), and you're often working for far, far less than minimum wage. So don't expect to be making money out of it, either.

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
1. Be not lazy.
1a. Learn English.
2. Learn Math.
3. Learn to Program.
4. Use what you learned to program to code a sandbox.
5. While learning all of that, hone your lighting and posing in Daz.
6. Profit.

If you're a lazy person, this stuff ain't for you. You spend 6+ months alone working on it, with no feedback or anyone to talk to, release it to people most likely shitting on it, bitching about it being a sandbox and asking every other post if there's NTR, and then you do it all over again for the next update. It's hard work, thankless (for the most part), and you're often working for far, far less than minimum wage. So don't expect to be making money out of it, either.
Thank you very much for your reply, but it's terrible. It may take another year to learn this.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
Is a sandbox not more complicated than linear?
Yep, even a short sandbox section, it's a hell of a lot more complicated than just a straight up linear section. I've only got one sandbox section in my game, and that one section alone took close to two months. Though it hasn't been released yet.

Sandbox devs are nuts. Definitely not something I'd recommend to a first time dev. Glad I got talked out of it early on.

Doorknob22

Super Moderator
Game Developer
Nov 3, 2017
Is a sandbox not more complicated than linear?
A "Sandbox" is another word for a "Game". Writing good, or even "not terrible" games is hard.

As for watermankaku, you're basically saying "I'm lazy but I want to succeed without working too hard". Did I get that right? Well, if you find out how, let us know. Humans have been searching for this answer since the dawn of time.

In a more serious note: Writing a Visual Novel is not especially hard, from the engineering aspect of it. You add texts, images, and some menus here and there and jump or call labels. If your grasp of Daz is decent, you might be to create a decent AVN if you're one hell of a storyteller and able to write such great stories and characters that people will forgive you for simplistic engineering design and basic renders. But if you can't tell a story, your renders are uninteresting and you can't code, well: no. It probably won't happen.

Good luck!

Reactions: watermankaku

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
2. Learn Math.
This one is optional.
Of course, Math is mandatory if you want to be programmer, everyone will tell you this. But once you start being programmer, you discover that it's in fact mandatory for some fields only and for, hmm, let's say 75% of programmers they don't works in one of those fields. And making an adult game don't really is either.

If you're a lazy person, this stuff ain't for you.
Totally agree.

This being said, to answer OP question, the best engine for someone lazy is RPG Maker. The come VN Maker, followed by Ren'Py. All the others need that you put your fingers out of your ass, either because they aren't translated in English, are confidential with near to no documentation, or need a lot of codding.

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
This one is optional.
Of course, Math is mandatory if you want to be programmer, everyone will tell you this. But once you start being programmer, you discover that it's in fact mandatory for some fields only and for, hmm, let's say 75% of programmers they don't works in one of those fields. And making an adult game don't really is either.

Totally agree.

This being said, to answer OP question, the best engine for someone lazy is RPG Maker. The come VN Maker, followed by Ren'Py. All the others need that you put your fingers out of your ass, either because they aren't translated in English, are confidential with near to no documentation, or need a lot of codding.
To be honest, I don't even understand rpgmaker. Playing games is really a terrible thing, but I will try.

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
It's pretty easy to use Renpy, download some games and look how they made.
Don't go for profit go for game of your dream, something you would enjoy playing by yourself.
Later you can find guys who can help with English, CG and so on, if game is good.

• I just jizzed my pants

DiviDreamer

Aug 29, 2020
I disagree with laziness, lazy people can make good games but much slower :)
they like artists you can't force inspiration of lazy coder.

• Thinking Face

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
the difference between VN and a sandbox is VAST. renpy was made to easily create VN's, but it will fight you every step of the way on a sandbox (or anything that's not a VN). for a basic VN in renpy you don't really need to learn programming, but everything outside that scope requires it.

math you'll only need in graphics programming, but you won't be doing any of that in these games. only if you make graphics code from scratch, and this isn't that gig. the difference is between USING daz and CREATING daz.

but there's no way in hell you can get through this being lazy. just no way. it's highly unlikely even if you're hard working, like 1% chance to finish a game. a shit one. it's THAT hard and exhausting.

• Yay, new update!

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
Today, I learned to modify the interface following the tutorial, but it is a very simple replacement content, and I haven't learned more complicated additions.