What happened to short and fun games?

hejhej123123

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like back in the day the majority of adult games were pretty short and light hearted. Like arcade games where you get a girl to strip and then some adult content. Now 99% of games are visual novels with tons of text. I like some of those games too, but don't you think a valuable part of the segment has gone missing? Honestly I don't always feel like reading through a 1+ hour prologue about how your parents died or whatever.

Or am I simply looking in the wrong places?

F4C430

Dec 4, 2018

When you do find these devs, you need to support (not necessarily financially) them if you want more.

Nunu312

Smut Peddler
Game Developer
Jul 25, 2018
It's not JUST about milking your patrons. A lot of the time people want to tell a story that, for lack of a better term, makes sense. It's got buildup and payoff so the sex is meaningful, which isn't something you can do without a 1 hour novel about why your parents died. I know I've got some jokes in there but that does tend to be the main thing, telling novels rather than shorts.

Besides that I know Ambir hates story which is why they made sexy minesweeper and similar gameplay heavy / story light things.

Then I wanted to be experimental, and just do something quick and fun, so I made something short and just yeeted it at my discord. Maybe other people do too?

Kagarus

Sep 28, 2017
Eh, I think it's primarily because of two developments:

One the one hand, we have the effects of Renpy, Patreon and the proliferation of accessible 3D Rendering/Posting software::
-Renpy allows for a much easier creation of visual novels as opposed to creating them from scratch, or programming an arcade game. Renpy scripting can be as complex as you want it to be, but for a beginner it's really easy to get started and have something fun (there were open VN engines before - Kirikiri and NScripter - however they were in japanese.)
-3D Rendering/Posing removes the second barrier to entry - skill with drawing. With a 2D, gameplayfocused game, you either needed to be able to draw yourself acceptably well or needed someone else who could. With a poser, that barrier to entry is much lower (as in, this art is functional and I can show it to people without being ashamed) - and it's a new, fun skill to learn, instead of something you hated since you had to do it in elementary school...
-Patreon both offers a way to distribute and monetize the game, and allowed for games to be much more widely played while in development. Which not only makes creating and publishing erotic games much more attractive, but also meant that now that game you were tinkering on and off again, but had only shown to maybe a friend or to before? People are now playing it.

The combined effect of which has lead to a downright insane boom in english-language erotic VNs, in large part by people who previously wouldn't have created any erotic game at all - people who had an idea, a concept/scenario, and maybe the wish to create a game before, but no real idea of where to start. It's hard to measure, but we're probably seeing more activity in a week than what happened in a year erotic game-wise way back when Newgrounds and AIF groups were the only game in town.

On the other hand, gaming changed. Not only did visual novels shift from being a strange type of "is this really a game" genre only popular among "weird otakus (who probably learned japanese)" to something that's actually quite popular and mainstream, but tastes and expectations changed to - story and characters are much more valued (as opposed to gameplay), arcade games went from something everyone had played at some time to retro games, being replaced by FPS and action-adventures.

So you have 1. a great flood of visual novels, 2. some of the people that want to make gameplay-focused erotic games going for 3d games (another change in gaming -"modern" (AAA-inspired) game development requires much more work hours, so the failure rate is higher and updates/games fewer), and 3. a few others that still make some arcade games, but compared to the first two they're much less visible. The couple of jump'n'runs, the puzzle game here or there - unless you're specifically looking for them, they'll just fade into the background.

(For me, the thing I miss about those days are adult interactive fiction games/gamebooks. Sure, VNs are similar, there's chyoa and fiction.live, and there are some twine games here. And in reality we probably also produce more of those nowadays than back then, but I still feel like there should be so much more out there and I'm just not aware :ROFLMAO: )

Last edited:

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
and there are some twine games here
They're in good health, 1 or 2 new HTML games appear weekly at latest updates, and a lot more still receive updates. Just take a look at the HTML tag. Of course, there are a lot that are abandoned...but I think that's also true to the other platforms.