What is more popular here, 3DCG or 2D?

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
I'm thinking of starting a VN and I just want to see which audience I could reach better.

I have graphic design experience so I'm fairly confident in making art for either, so just wanted to ask the reception for 2d vs 3d.

Which is more widely preferred, in a consumer's perspective.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Theres lot of competition in the mediocre 3dcg game space, quality 2d games a rarity and the ones that do exist don't have same amount of images due to the effort required.
I'd say 2d is preferable since you can just draw a picture of whatever your audience is into fucking a thing you're into without having to go trough the effort of creating a 3d model of it first.

Reactions: scrumbles

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
If you have the skills, 2D stands out more.

But I think mostly Art is there as a help to telling your story... there are amazing stories here made using modded games like Honey Select; there are some gorgeous 2D illustrations slapped on stories nobody cares about. So find your story, then find the art style that you feel confident about doing but also compliments the story.

Reactions: Mimir's Lab

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
Theres lot of competition in the mediocre 3dcg game space, quality 2d games a rarity and the ones that do exist don't have same amount of images due to the effort required.
I'd say 2d is preferable since you can just draw a picture of whatever your audience is into fucking a thing you're into without having to go trough the effort of creating a 3d model of it first.

yes I'm fully aware of the myriad of generic 3dcg games since theyre easier to make than making actual 2d sprites/cg.

but like I mentioned, I'm asking it as a consumer's perspective.

I dont really mind for the dev side of things, which is harder to do, what most devs use etc.

I want to know from a normal user what is more popular and their preference, is it mostly 2d or 3d?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I want to know from a normal user what is more popular and their preference, is it mostly 2d or 3d?
You're not going to get a good answer here. I'm working on two games: Love of Magic, which started as a hobby, and I'm the solo developer (3D, using DAZ)
https://f95zone.to/threads/love-of-magic-v1-0-1-droid-productions.41188/

and as the programmer on Paradise Lust (2D, animated)
https://f95zone.to/threads/paradise-lust-v0-3-4-flexible-media.63083/

So far, Paradise Lust gets lots of good feedback about the art; there's definitely a market for kick ass 2D art. Love of Magic seems mostly loved for the story/writing, and the way the visuals of the character plays into that.

I will say that outside the world of F95, things are seen differently. Someone hacked and posted the Steam version of Love of Magic to Igg-games recently, and among the top voted comments are "ugh, plastic women", "fuck, I'm sure I've seen this bitch in every game this year" etc (in this case, Emily's the girl he's hating on, and she's a custom mix of ~20 different character morphs and skins). So among the non-F95 crowd ("Normal Users"), at least as far as steam pirates go, there's a distinct antipathy against what is here considered quite normal; the 3DCG daz pipeline characters. I suspect when they leak Paradise Lust, they'll find something else to complain about.

zetsupetsu

Dec 22, 2019
You're not going to get a good answer here. I'm working on two games: Love of Magic, which started as a hobby, and I'm the solo developer (3D, using DAZ)
https://f95zone.to/threads/love-of-magic-v1-0-1-droid-productions.41188/

and as the programmer on Paradise Lust (2D, animated)
https://f95zone.to/threads/paradise-lust-v0-3-4-flexible-media.63083/

So far, Paradise Lust gets lots of good feedback about the art; there's definitely a market for kick ass 2D art. Love of Magic seems mostly loved for the story/writing, and the way the visuals of the character plays into that.

I will say that outside the world of F95, things are seen differently. Someone hacked and posted the Steam version of Love of Magic to Igg-games recently, and among the top voted comments are "ugh, plastic women", "fuck, I'm sure I've seen this bitch in every game this year" etc (in this case, Emily's the girl he's hating on, and she's a custom mix of ~20 different character morphs and skins). So among the non-F95 crowd ("Normal Users"), at least as far as steam pirates go, there's a distinct antipathy against what is here considered quite normal; the 3DCG daz pipeline characters. I suspect when they leak Paradise Lust, they'll find something else to complain about.
Seems like 2D is the safest way to go I guess in terms of reception.

Its true 3DCG is more tolerated in here. But I guess if you have 2D art in your game if you have average skills all your art will look mutially similar regardless and it could be attributed to your distinct artstyle. Whereas in 3DCG if you are only average it will look like every other 3DCG Vn out there and will turn more people away.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Its true 3DCG is more tolerated in here. But I guess if you have 2D art in your game if you have average skills all your art will look mutially similar regardless and it could be attributed to your distinct artstyle. Whereas in 3DCG if you are only average it will look like every other 3DCG Vn out there and will turn more people away.
If you have the skills for great 2D, I'd advice going 2D... play to your strengths.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Igg-games
If you took a human adult of average intelligence then got that adult blind drunk on Absinthe, waited for it to pass out then caved it's skull in with a lump hammer, scraped the leaky brain juice off the floor and purged it with fire, the sloppy remains clinging to the bits of fractured skull would still be more useful than what the average user of IGG claims to have between it's ears.

I mock some people on here for making dumb posts but even those sound like philosophical debates for the ages compared to posts over on IGG.

I'm not calling IGG users dumb, that would be an insult to dumb people. Reading comments on IGG is like trying to read the thoughts of a hoard of zombies in Night of the Living Dead. They vaguely remember things but the only coherent thought they can muster is "foooooood" and even that sounds more intelligent than some of the drivvle i've read on IGG.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Droid Productions

rk-47

Jun 27, 2020
summertime saga and what a legend seem to be 2 really good 2d games that i have played, they can both get you hard because they are pretty detailed, 3d games will always be "detailed" but it just depends on your skills i suppose

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Art is subjective, saying preferred isn't really correct. Play to your strengths, and deliver the best product you can make. If you really want to know which of the two is going to be more well received, posting some of your work is the best way to find out.

megaplayboy10k

Apr 16, 2018
If you can draw good 2d art that "pops"(i.e., stands out) and has its own unique style, that's a good way to go. If you're great at 3dcg, specifically doing extensive modification to daz3d models and showing mastery of texture, lighting, posing and subtlety, that's a great way to go.

A killer story and well-designed game go a long way too.