Others What is the best animation software for game programming?

LexiLilith

Oct 6, 2020
Hello there,

what is the best software to use when creating animations to be used in-game development?

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
How long is a piece of string?
What ever package you can become really good at using.
What ever package you can produce content at a fast enough pace (suitable for your hardware and asset budget).
If your story is shit no matter how good your renders are it won't be enough to make a good game.
Finally if you are asking this question you are probably in for a very large and disheartening learning curve!

If you are completely new to this maybe just knock up a prototype using koikatsu/hs/hs2.
You can get the better repacks here.
Or whatever, I am not your supervisor.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
There isn't a "best" software for animation per say. I'm going to assume you're talking about 3D animations here, and if so these are the options that I know of.

1. Maya (Not-Free)
I've heard it's used a lot for animation/rigging. Though I personally haven't used it. Down side is it'll cost you a pretty penny.

2. Character Creator 3 by Reallusion (Not-Free)
This is less expensive than Maya, but it's still a hefty price in my opinion. Much easier to use from what I can tell, haven't used it personally.

3. Blender (Free)
The software I use and most familiar with. Has a lot of functionality regardless if you're animating or not, honestly there's just too much stuff you can do in this software. If you do settle on using this, NLA, dopesheet, timeline and drivers are what you want to take a look at first, then move onto addons that specificly help the workflow of animation. There are a few out there, paid and free alike.

At the end of the day, I'd say take a look at these and choose the one that fits your needs/wants and workflow.

• Red Heart
Reactions: LexiLilith

LexiLilith

Oct 6, 2020
There isn't a "best" software for animation per say. I'm going to assume you're talking about 3D animations here, and if so these are the options that I know of.

1. Maya (Not-Free)
I've heard it's used a lot for animation/rigging. Though I personally haven't used it. Down side is it'll cost you a pretty penny.

2. Character Creator 3 by Reallusion (Not-Free)
This is less expensive than Maya, but it's still a hefty price in my opinion. Much easier to use from what I can tell, haven't used it personally.

3. Blender (Free)
The software I use and most familiar with. Has a lot of functionality regardless if you're animating or not, honestly there's just too much stuff you can do in this software. If you do settle on using this, NLA, dopesheet, timeline and drivers are what you want to take a look at first, then move onto addons that specificly help the workflow of animation. There are a few out there, paid and free alike.

At the end of the day, I'd say take a look at these and choose the one that fits your needs/wants and workflow.
Thank you very much for ur encouraging and useful reply..