Others What is the best engine for my game?

KlonHad

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2019
Hey guys, I have been working on my game a couple of months in sugercube until it accumulates enough content. The game's premise is you hooking up on a tinder like app with strangers leading .

My game was on html up until now and when i end updating it i plan to reboot it to a new engine where you could use the app in a phone interface, You could build your app profile and certain selection of pictures would lead to different reaction from your matches.

What engine would be the best for having this phone interface with apps , that would later lead onto the "real life interactions" that will give you the scenes once you decided to meet?

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
If the story is mainly told with images and text then I suggest Ren'Py. Ren'Py isn't only a visual novel software, you can customize it a lot and introduce battles and even somewhat complex mechanics, I'm sure that a phone mechanic would be possible.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

KlonHad

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2019
If the story is mainly told with images and text then I suggest Ren'Py. Ren'Py isn't only a visual novel software, you can customize it a lot and introduce battles and even somewhat complex mechanics, I'm sure that a phone mechanic would be possible.
Do you have any idea if it can go from the main phone interface into the dates without getting in the way of each other?

Hentai_Kishi

Game Developer
Jul 24, 2018
Well, yeah, it could do it pretty well, the thing is: Are you willing to script Ren'Py? The software itself doesn't have these features so you will have to learn some python to build these interactions. Changing from one state to another is very much possible. As long as the mechanics aren't overly complex Ren'Py can handle it pretty well. Just take a look at some of the Ren'Py games here on this site.

I don't know much about your game. If it is more complex than this then I recommend you some engine that is easy to learn so you can focus on actually writing the story and making the game instead of having to worry about programming every little feature your game has. One such engine is Godot. It's free and open source too so you don't have to pay anyone a dime.

KlonHad

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2019
Well, yeah, it could do it pretty well, the thing is: Are you willing to script Ren'Py? The software itself doesn't have these features so you will have to learn some python to build these interactions. Changing from one state to another is very much possible. As long as the mechanics aren't overly complex Ren'Py can handle it pretty well. Just take a look at some of the Ren'Py games here on this site.

I don't know much about your game. If it is more complex than this then I recommend you some engine that is easy to learn so you can focus on actually writing the story and making the game instead of having to worry about programming every little feature your game has. One such engine is Godot. It's free and open source too so you don't have to pay anyone a dime.
The game is nearing completion as far as core content that i then want to import to the newer engine.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
Renpy is python. It is a legit programming language and is capable of a lot more than it is commonly used for here. The next step up is unity. Unity is easy to use and cross platform so id suggest that if you really want to upgrade

Last edited: