What is the deal with so many 3DCG VNs and weird kissing scene angles?

Jonboy80

Dec 8, 2017
Does anyone else immediately get turned off when, during a kissing scene in VNs with 3D CG, the camera is focused on the character's lips/tongue/tonsils? To the point that I'm just fast clicking to pass the kiss.

I've kissed my fair share of guys and girls in my life and I can't, for the life of me, remember looking down their throat in the process.

I only remember one VN actually having realistic angles and I can't even remember which one that was. Basically, it was like the below image, except zoomed in further so all you saw was an eye, a bit of her nose, the side of her head and then mostly the background took up the rest of the image. What you'd see when you were really kissing someone.

But this is an example of what I'm talking about that I'm, quite frankly, getting tired of seeing:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It just looks gross as hell to me.

Even when it's just a normal kiss, I can't get past the fact it looks like they're doing ducklips for a selfie.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I've seem that kind of kisses only in Corrupted Kingdom but that's because the game tries not to show the MC as much as possible and Koikatu doesn't have any good way to make kissing lips.

Not a fan of those scenes honestly.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I only remember one VN actually having realistic angles and I can't even remember which one that was. Basically, it was like the below image, except zoomed in further so all you saw was an eye, a bit of her nose, the side of her head and then mostly the background took up the rest of the image. What you'd see when you were really kissing someone.
The vast majority of assets used look terrible close up so people avoid close ups. And most backgrounds are very basic, simple and often just pretty bad. Dont want to focus on that either.

And if a game doesn't really have a good designed MC (which is like 99% of the games on here, getting tired of seeing 12 year old boys with the most punchable faces in the world being shipped as 20+ adults) you dont really want to show those to much either, so they use those wierd throat shots. It's completely stupid, but I guess they think its the best option.

Zippity

Respected User
Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone else immediately get turned off when, during a kissing scene in VNs with 3D CG, the camera is focused on the character's lips/tongue/tonsils? To the point that I'm just fast clicking to pass the kiss.

I've kissed my fair share of guys and girls in my life and I can't, for the life of me, remember looking down their throat in the process.

But this is an example of what I'm talking about that I'm, quite frankly, getting tired of seeing:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
It just looks gross as hell to me.

Even when it's just a normal kiss, I can't get past the fact it looks like they're doing ducklips for a selfie.
I don't mind Point Of View (POV) kissing scenes if they are done right... They tend to work best when it's just basic kissing, and not french kissing (aka open mouth kissing with tongue usually)... French kissing varies in quality from one VN/Game to the other when it's a POV image... The zoomed in faces when doing POV in general are usually meant to instill a sense of closeness and emotional attachment... So when it is done well, I do feel that it adds value, especially if there is any form of romantic attachment between the protagonist and the character in the image...

But yes, sometimes the french kissing looks a bit odd or weird if not done right, or if done entirely too often through POV... It usually looks far more natural when french kissing is portrayed via a 3rd party view or zoom out, rather then zoomed in POV...

Zip