What is the good way to make game like renpy but using a lot if rendered animation?

kluay

Apr 15, 2021
I saw many game that contain only image and it really huge like 1-3GB.

I want to make game with rendered animation[like Mp4 or other format] but the file size may make it hard to compile or update. [I'm not sure I have no experience about making game]

I ever thought about making game in unity or unreal 4 and import animation to that engine it will be more lightweight than rendered animation for sure but due to a lot of asset that I have not allow interactive action so it will be too much for me to remake all of that.

I ever made game with flash and HTML by contain the loop animation and make link button to other animation but it seem hard for player to play it.

If you guy have some experience or alternative method to share I would be grateful.

Niv-Mizzet the Firemind

Mar 15, 2020
If your game will be at the style of a visual novel, why not Renpy?
The same animations will add the same size to the game with each engine (unless unity/unreal compress them somehow).

I think your best bet would be to compress the animations first with another codec (renpy games usually use VP9 or x264 for videos/animations) to an acceptable size/quality ratio and then add them to the game.
Lastly, afaik you can display animations in Renpy by stringing together a series of static images, there is a particular method for that.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Some games are very large because people don't take the time to compress their images or videos. (Leading to a whole group of "compressor people" here that do that. If you pay attention to size (choosing the right codec and bit rate for videos, and the correct compression level for images) your game doesn't have to be huge. As one example, Season 1 of Whores of Thrones (for which I'm the programmer) has 114 different webm's and over 2,000 images in it, and the final version of that was still under 1Gb. So, it's definitely doable.