What is the "recommended" amount of content you should have for a first release?

gobman

Oct 20, 2017
As the title says, I'm currently developing my own, somewhat generic, renpy game. The renders will be made with TK 17, with post processing done mostly through photoshop. I'll probably have a mix between video and still images for interactions.

Another question, if i have the resolution of all images within renpy as 1920x1080, will they be "cropped" on monitors with larger resolutions? Or will everything "fill" to the borders?

Lastly, here is a small sample of the roster for my game.:

Tell me what you think each character's role should be, and please tell me if they look too young. Thanks!

bobdickgus

Apr 9, 2020
Recommended amount? All of it... opinions may vary. Maybe 1-2 H scenes is fairly common. I personally detest dreams and peeping BS but that is also common for initial releases.
Your 1920x1080 will show at that size in windowed mode on higher res displays(draggable larger or smaller) and will fill the screen in full screen mode unsurprisingly.

KoutaruArts

Sep 3, 2019
Not related to the topic but it look promising, I love the character and the tomboy is hawt hopefully will come out :D

HSlammer

Mar 7, 2021
I was also curious about this. 1-2 H scenes seems very small for a first release, is that really common bobdickgus?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I would aim for atleast half an hour playtime if somebody would read all the text. With atleast 1 full adult scene in it so people know what to expect out of it.

It's hard to fit a lot of adult scenes in a first release since you need to build to them. I don't really kind peeking/dream scenes.

Lussuria

May 26, 2020
I was also curious about this. 1-2 H scenes seems very small for a first release, is that really common bobdickgus?
Depends on the type of games. Some story heavy games can go many updates before they get even their first H-scene.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
A more detailed answer to the "will they fit" question than bobdickgus gave.

When you start your Ren'py game, you pick the resolution (in your case, 1920x1080) that you want the game to be at on its "virtual" screen. All coordinates, etc., will be specified within Ren'py assuming that the screen is, in fact, 1920x1080.

When the game is run, the physical window may be bigger or smaller than 1920x1080, depending on whether the player runs the game in full screen mode or not, and the size of his/her monitor. But Ren'py automatically handles resizing your 1920x1080 virtual screen to the actual physical window size. So, essentially, you don't have to worry if the user runs your game in full-screen mode on a 4K monitor, or runs in "windowed" mode and shrinks the window down small - as far as your code is concerned, the window is always 1920x1080. If the user runs with the window in the wrong aspect ratio, Ren'py puts black bars either above and below, or to the left and right of your 1920x1080 "virtual screen" when it renders the physical screen.

You'll be able to see this yourself when you run the game. But your images won't get cut off - they'll just get scaled appropriately to fit.