What is your writing process when starting a new story?

I am Muk

Jun 15, 2022
Programming is my expertise, but I try to discover my creative side by writing small pieces here and there. I haven't written a complete story yet, but I like the fact that you can create your own universe where things happens how you want them to.

What I mostly do is think of major plotlines and write towards them. However, the issue with this is that it doesn't feel natural for me. I have to think of situations and triggers that start the next block of story, which sometimes feels unrealistic or rushed.

That's why I would like to receive some tips from people who write, what is your worflow when you start a new story?

Reactions: WenZel

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Do the basics first. It sounds elementary, I'm aware, but apply the who/where/when/why to each part of your initial/outline writing process. You can include the 'what', but I think you can fill in the blanks with the other four.

1. Story + Setting/Timeline(s): Who doesn't apply here, obviously. Where does this story take place? If this is mentioned, it should be fundamental to the story. If your story takes place in Tokyo, then why is it there? What's the relevance to the story? If it takes place in a New World Order, then why is that important to the story? You don't have to make it obvious, either. Slip pieces of the history (if it's on another planet/in an alternate reality) into the story (e.g. History Class.) or slip pieces of the protagonists life into it. Infodumps should be avoided here, specifically. Just leak pieces of this information. When does the story take place? Again, doesn't have to be obvious. If it's a fictional time, then sneak a poster or sign somewhere showing the fictional date of a certain event, or if it's real life, put something that's popular (currently if it's in the present) now or when the story took place. Why is this story happening? Why does this story need to be told? Why should the viewer pick up this story? It doesn't have to be relatable (incest, harems, etc. are all far from realistic), just enticing. Make it matter.

2a. Protagonist: Who is your protagonist? What are his quirks? What does he like or love? What does he dislike or hate? What turns him on? What separates him from being just a bunch of words on screen? It doesn't matter it's POV or Third-Person. Finding a way to make your protagonist human is important. Probably the most important part. Where is your protagonist? Not in regard to local, but in regard to where is he in his life? Is he angry? Rebellious? A college student? A lonely business major? Happy? Studious? A higher schooler? A rich business tycoon? When does this stories even occur in the protagonist's life? Why does it occur on the particular date? For what reason? 'When' sort of twists into the 'Why' here, as well, as you can see. Why does this event matter to the protagonists? Why should this anger/bring joy to the protagonist? What is his connection to the event/date/etc.

2b. LIs: A lot of the above applies to the LIs, or even friends. Who are they? They aren't cardboard cutouts. They're human, just like the protagonist. Interests, dislikes, hobbies, trauma, their histories. Give the LIs dimension, make them unique from each other beyond appearances (especially so for a VN.). Where do they meet the protag? College? Cafe? Alleyway? Drugstore? Father's basement? Rape dungeon? There's all kinds of ways people meet, don't fall into the cliches. A girl won't fall in love with a guy because they accidentally ran into them at a park while jogging. Do something different, unique. Maybe have the protag 'accidentally' spill his salad/messy lunch on a possible LI to get her attention. Maybe she gets angry and the protag has to do something to apologize (new clothes, etc. Imagination is key.). When do/did they meet the protag? Maybe they're old friends, or maybe they meet near the end of the story and that meeting is a girl accompliced(sp?) with the villain/bully/etc. Why do they meet the protag? Why did they notice him then and there? Why are they interested in him? Why attracts them to him over other guys? Why are they important to the story beyond getting nutted in by the protag? Why should the protag/player feel anything toward them in return?

3. Conflict: Combine everything above. A story isn't a story unless there's a conflict and a conclusion. If there isn't, you eventually get something that stays well passed its welcome (The Walking Dead). Now take your story, your protagonist, and your LIs - Where does a figurative 'bad guy' fit in here? This obviously changes per story. So, I can't give you a layout for this one. Let's use an up-and-coming Kingpin and a DEA detective, for example. This Kingpin's identity isn't known, and he happens upon a girl and starts falling for her (among other girls, if wanted. This is just an example, so I'm only using one girl.). As they grow closer and closer, she starts opening up about her job and what she does. Then she starts talking more about the man they're searching for currently - and soon the protag realizes she's after him. Now, here lies the conflict. Does he kill her/get rid of her, or does he convince her to join him in taking over the country's drug circuit? Maybe it's decided by points of some sort, or maybe it's linear with variables in choices changing each ending. Author's choice. A conflict doesn't have to be quite that hot or cold. There's needs to be a meaningful problem presented and a solution that feels meaningful to the story and the player to feel like they weren't gypped out of their time.

4. Conclusion: Bring it all together. Tie up the loose ends, flesh out the endings of each LI (assuming not a KN). Flesh out the life after the ending. Show the results the protag's/player's choices made on the story. It's pretty self-explanatory. What you write here is up to you. Maybe that's a one-liner, maybe that's some moralistic, meaningful message/proverb to the player from the protagonist. Doesn't matter. You do you.

You have your outline put together. . .now what? That's the beauty of writing. Especially with something as free flowing as Visual Novels. There's many who write backwards from ending to beginning, some writing from the natural beginning to end. I, myself, use a hybrid of both. I write my endings, not to a finished degree, but enough to lay the groundwork for me to write. Then I write from the beginning. This way, I have a beginning and end. I can go as far outside of the box as makes sense (obviously there's limitation here, it needs to make sense in the reality of the story and in the head of the protag/player.) as long as I can come back to the ending I have written. It creates a framework to build on as you write, a compass of sorts.

Meisla

Jan 17, 2022
When I took my screenwriting classes, the speaker told us that any thing could be a starting point for a story, as long as you're thrilled by it!
Could be a sentence you like, an idea of a 2 lines dialogue, a concept you find intriguing, a peculiar place you have in mind...
Let's imagine for example there's an oxymoron you find inspiring: "slave queen".

Once you've grasped that little thing that motivates you, it's time to write a story! :)

At first, I like to throw at the paper (or at the screen) lots of idea, anything that comes to mind and could be related to my initial item:
  • characters ("there could be that bad guy who sells slaves, but later we'll learn that he's not so bad because he has a good reason to do so...")
  • places ("could sets in space, on an abandoned planet where the slaves were left behind...")
  • scenes ("I'd love to have a dom scene where the haughty queen is a bit humiliated...")
  • plots ("the queen is actually selling her slave people to rich merchants...")
  • gameplay ("could be a strategy game where we manage the slave colony")
  • dialogue
  • genealogy
  • background, lore
  • the MC's favorite ice cream flavor
  • chronology
  • anything!

After that, I like to sort what I can sort (plot, sexy scenes by intensity, chronology, etc.).
I make spreadsheet to organize info. E.g. for my characters I'd put every character idea in a column, and for each of them I try to quickly throw some ideas about their: physique, relations, personality, issues, goals, needs, other points...

Generally at this point I try to connect all of my brainstorming's dots together. From this process, problems and inconsistencies arise. And that's good, because you'll get creative trying to solve these problems! :cool:

At this point it could be a good idea trying to imagine scenes, chapters, plots, and put them in an interesting order.
And for every scene, I apply a simple rule: every scene must either have emotion / or conflict / or sex AND deepen a character / or develop the plot / or develop a relationship.
I also use some tools from a screenwriter's toolbox I gathered myself, in order to spice the story a bit. :)

Good luck, have fun!

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
However, the issue with this is that it doesn't feel natural for me. I have to think of situations and triggers that start the next block of story, which sometimes feels unrealistic or rushed.
This is always the most difficult part in story writing.
Knowing from where the story come and to where it goes, tell you what the next scene/paragraph/chapter should be, but not how it is effectively linked with the previous one.

When you look at books, they either switch when changing chapter, or by using a temporal ellipse (generally a "*" triangle between two paragraphs). The reader usually use those moment to make a break, or stop reading for today, what help to fake the transition. But this can't works for games, even when they are Visual Novels.

When you look at movies, they use a cutting plan (is it the English expression for this ?). The most used one is probably when the camera leave the action to focus on something, then it, more or less slowly, transition to something else, before returning what became the next action.
This is already more adapted to games. But still it don't really works as it, because actions are proportionally longer in movies than in games. It would lead your game to rely too much on transition, what isn't a good thing.

This having been said, personally I solved this problem by changing my point of view. Instead of searching how to start the next scene, I focus on finishing correctly the current one. It's easier to do, because you're already into the action. And, since it's the continuation, or ending, of something that is already started, it give you the starting point for the next scene.

By example, a really basic one:
The MC is in the living-room, he finished to talk with his sister. The next scene is supposed to happen in the kitchen and involve the mother. Instead of simply let the MC leave the room, you can use something like:
MC "Do you still have things to say ? It's a hot day today, I would gladly just seat and do nothing at all, not even talk."
Sister "Of course it's hot today. Why do you think that I only wear my smallest underwear ? To seduce you perhaps ? By the way, I Hope you remember to drink regularly."
MC "Well..."
Sister "What ? It's important to stay correctly hydrated with such weather. Go drink something."
MC "Yeah, I'll do it."
Sister "Now !"
MC "Ok, I'll go."
And it's done, you've your transition. The MC have a reason to go in the kitchen, and once he'll be here, you can start the next scene more naturally:
MC is taking some juice in the fridge.
Mother "Good, you need to drink a lot during hot days."
MC "Yeah, I know, sis already scold me about this."
Mother "And she's right..."
All you need next, is to slowly shift the discussion to the topic you want to address.

The same also works without the effective help of an external character:
Sister "and then, she was all, 'what ? you didn't liked this movie ?'. And I said..."
MC "Oh fuck ! Talking about movies, I still have the DVD I borrowed to my best friend."
MC "Well, I'll take it back now, before I forget again. Later Sis."
Then you can continue with MC being in front of his friend house. We know why he goes there, so we assume that before this he goes in his room to take the DVD.
Once again, you've the start of the dialog, and just need to make it shift to the effective topic of this scene.

I am Muk

Jun 15, 2022
Thank you all very much for your tips! I will write a short piece following some of your advice see how it goes.

Reactions: osanaiko