What kind of game do you prefer?

What's your favorite game?

• TiTs

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • CoC

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • FreeCities

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • AW (Well... this one is still mysterious)

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Apocamorphosis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LT

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Others...

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Pandorium (Just for curiosity, my area is text games.)

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Caliross (Just for curiosity, my area is text games.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
I wondered today what kind of adult game attracts most people, whether management games like the abandoned FreeCities and Pandorium or life simulators like AW and other like CoC. Creating a game is a considerable time investment and I would like to know where to look.
It would be simpler to get the RPG maker for this, it makes things easier... But a lot of people do not seem to like the RPGM. There is a chance a life simulator like newlife can be a waste of time since the AW is in development... What kind of game would you like?

New games add.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Most players prefer other game engines over rpgm cuz... It's not like yer gonna hack n slash your way to go to yer gf's room, go to school, go to workplace, etc. So why make them walk? It's just a hassle for them... unless each building in the map has side stories for us to see anytime not later.
Anyway, if you have a vn in mind with interesting plot, go for it! Give us a good beta release and please... dont leave us hangin with just handjobs. Make sure your "to be continued" is really well-placed. And your updates are steady if not early AND NOT A BUNCH OF BUGFIX UPDATES.

good luck future dev an give us shock and awe

Airell

Developer of Love and Corruption
Game Developer
Aug 18, 2017
Most players prefer other game engines over rpgm cuz... It's not like yer gonna hack n slash your way to go to yer gf's room, go to school, go to workplace, etc. So why make them walk? It's just a hassle for them... unless each building in the map has side stories for us to see anytime not later.
Anyway, if you have a vn in mind with interesting plot, go for it! Give us a good beta release and please... dont leave us hangin with just handjobs. Make sure your "to be continued" is really well-placed. And your updates are steady if not early AND NOT A BUNCH OF BUGFIX UPDATES.

good luck future dev an give us shock and awe
I am no professional programmer, just a beginner who would like to practice what I have learned. But really a VN is not what I want to do...

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Seems like you are a fan of text-based adventure games.
Even tho they do not require any renders or art as a VN's usually does, they are still very hard to do. Do not underestimate what it takes.

But if that is what you want to make, go for it. It'd be a fun journey.

The poll itself is like any other poll asking for opinions about what is popular and liked. Simply ineffective.
People have different preferences and impossible to get a correct assessment.

1. You can either look at which one of these game have the most success and try to make a game like that.
This option is the most used for new devs due to fear of failing and wasting time.

2. Do like the one who gained success by make a game you desire without thinking of what is popular. It's a gamble. But a gamble worth doing. (and imo the only right way)

I wish you luck.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I'd concur with @HopesGaming on all he said there.

The big thing to bear in mind is that making a decent game IS hard. There are times when it's boring, frustrating and grindier than playing Big Brother.

And if you're not making the game you want to make, not making the game -you're- passionate about when that happens? It then becomes ten times harder.

Take the risk and make your vision, not someone else's.

But, whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. :)

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
You wanna practice, huh?

Well, programming games using API's and SDK's without game engines could be a good practice :p game engines baaaah... What if they get obsolete? Study another? That's more time consuming imo... Of course it's a steep learning curve at first but when you're well experienced and you build your own library and templates, building next projects will be easier and you're not stuck with wysiwyg engines. But that's just me (shrugs).

As for what games do we want on this site... Well, any XXX games will do! rpg/vn/strategy games... your call. If it has a good storylines and mouthwatering ladies then I'm in :sneaky:

EDIT: i don't mean to offend the devs here. I know y'all dont wanna delve into programming and just wanna make a project pronto. Efficiency is your key here.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
People have different preferences and impossible to get a correct assessment.
I'll even go further. Sometimes a story can make you like a game that otherwise you would have disliked because of the engine, type of game or game mechanism.

Well, programming games using API's and SDK's without game engines could be a good practice :p game engines baaaah... What if they get obsolete?
DOS, EMS/XMS, DOS/4G, Win16, WinG, Win32s, Win32, Direct X, (turbo) Pascal, C, C++. That's the non exhaustive list of what I had to learn between the moment I started to go with the API/SDK approach, in the early 80's and the moment I stopped in the early 00's. Nowadays you need to include C# and .net, I don't know about the effective changes between Win32 and the 64bits API, and since things go backward, directly addressing the video card can be the best option here and there.

Well, I'm not sure that going for the API/SDK approach is really an effective way to prevent the learning of new things every now and then. This especially since learning how to use a game engine mean that your games will works on more than a single OS. By example, if he learn how to use Ren'py, it will replace the need to learn how to use the API/SDK for Windows, Linux, MacOS X, iOS and Android. Even if the API/SDK stayed put, he would need to pass through five different game engines for both approach to be equals.
But this imply that the API/SDK stay put and that the game engine development process stop. It happen sometimes but not for the most used ones. RPG Maker started in the early 90's and the last PC version was release in 2015. Unreal started in the late 90's and the last version was released in 2014. Ren'py started in 2004 and the last version was released few days ago. Unity started in 2005 and the last version released few month ago.
Except perhaps RPG Maker, they are far to the end of their development process, while all of them let your game run on at least three OSes.

Of course it's a steep learning curve at first but when you're well experienced and you build your own library and templates, building next projects will be easier and you're not stuck with wysiwyg engines. But that's just me (shrugs).
What are you talking about exactly ?
Where have you seen that Ren'py, Unity or Unreal, to name only three, are near to WYSIWYG engines ? What make you think that they can't benefit from the libraries and templates used for another game ?
Modern generic game engines are more on the side of an API on top of the system, than anything else. This whatever they rely on an existing language (C, C#, lua, javascript) or have their own one or, like Ren'py, have both.

EDIT: i don't mean to offend the devs here. I know y'all dont wanna delve into programming and just wanna make a project pronto. Efficiency is your key here.
Honestly, it's with this edit that you can offend them. And I'm not talking about the "make a project pronto" part, but about the "programming" one. Even authors using RPG Maker need to code if they want to achieve something interesting.

Fliptoynk

Nov 9, 2018
Given how software development works nowadays, yes you're right, my bad. I was stuck in the old dos programming days when my games written in turbo c gets criticized by the assembly maestro(he's not really one but we call him that anyway). Upto now, I can't help but think that low-level programming really has the upperhand in terms of quality. I wouldn't even be surprised if a 3d game, purely written in assembly with no $ engine, is able to run smoothly on a decade old potato and I'll give the assembly programmer a praise. About the wysiwyg part, yeah thats a bad generalization there except for rpgm, i mean, you cant go full 3d there so ... :/
I have a decade-old netbook and I played an rpgm game. The animation is sluggish and it's just 2d! Sucks!!! My snes games plays better. So sorry, I'm like 'what the hell is with this game?'. Some might say 'buy a new rig' but c'mon... That's still a bad coding on the game or engine's part. And about the edit part, I'm sorry. Maybe I should've added 'deeper' after the delve word. I won't force you to go that far. My little rant doesnt matter anymore since yer games run fine on today's pc.