What make a grindy gameplay?

Shinoera

Jan 13, 2019
Greetings :sneaky:
Simple question. I've played games myself that have made my butt clench so tightly that I've become self-constipated. Strange experience that sex games sometimes give us, that sometimes we can confuse these ones with one of the latest FromSoftware game. Either this kind of games are parodies of Dark Souls, like: BLACKSOULS, or the game is unbearably complicated for some obscure reason.

The real problem isn't the difficulty, but the reward given to the player after having nuked 4 trillion of his neurons to kill 400 slimes or collect a sum of money that could pay off the debt of several families at once.

The player comes back happy, his stick in hand, ready to polish his big vermicelli or moistening her oyster but he or she finally leaves with a pixelated picture of a monster-girl and/or with a kiss on the cheek.
Dev-san? Excuse-me, wtf? :HideThePain:

Screenshot_655.png I'm now silenced. Dev-san don't like my review.

This has the effect of creating the most painful blue balls that a man has to endure, not only for the player, but also for the developer who sees his/her game scores barely above 2 stars. However, as a result of these blue balls, the player can join Valhalla, the developer ends up in limbo.
Sad story, I know.

Now, how can we overcome this awful fate? Not jerking off is a valid solution, but it's trivial. So here, my opinion on the things to avoid so that the player doesn't stop playing after 30 minutes :
  • Walking Simulator: If at the very least the player won strength, stamina points for this or that he recovers or found anything by walking, it would be much more acceptable, and it would almost make the player want to farm walking in order to loot something, etc.. But usually Walking Simulators games don't do that, and seems to be inspired by Death Stranding, no thanks, I don't want to be a deliverer anymore. RPGM games particularly suffer from this disease, so let's be cautious about that.
  • Respawns Simulator: Another kind of simulator just as annoying, this is present in both VNs and RPGMs and sometimes in bigger games such as STS. At first everything seems normal, it's fun, but after a few hours of playing, farming money, and doing the same tasks you realize that every day you wake up in the same room, go to the same rooms, produce the same things, live the same things in order to access a sex scene that MAY satisfy the player. I don't think a lot of player come to feel the same routine that they may already be feeling in their lives, try to bring that in a softer, different way please. Same for the games where the difficulty is really present, people don't come to play Sekiro or Minesweeper, if we want that, we go there: The dev have to announce it directly, so there won't be any unpleasant surprises.
  • Day/Night system: This one is a bit tricky. Most of the time the player has time to do whatever he wants outside when he is supposed to be in class or at work, which takes away from the credibility we bring to this system. It's not that I don't like it, but sometimes its usefulness can be questionable. Is the day/night system really essential or could we do without it? The contents can sometimes be blocked depending on the date or time it is in the game, which can annoy some players (myself included, of course). It's not that I'm not patient, but with so many systems like this, I'd like to find something different. In other words, I think this point is more understandable for people who have already played a lot of sandbox games, for example. Making the player wait again and again can sometimes take a lot of patience in the long-term.
  • Identical characters/Mary Sue: Grinding but we realize that the character are some Mary Sue, unidimentional character with no real "life" in it. Or the sprite/model used is the same as in 95 other games. The player then understands that his grinding is ruined, as well as his experience and his wank. Sad story, again.
A game who combine at least 2 of this grinding point finish here:
Screenshot_1838.png

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I'm thinking about right now, if you have any ideas, feel free to come up :BootyTime: