What makes a good game?

bcsjkdfjksh

Mar 22, 2019
It might sound like a simple question. But one i've been debating a lot.

What makes a good game? A great game? and then something really special?

What are the fundamentals designers should hammer and build as there core foundation?

Reactions: ChadChan3D

Zerei

Mar 4, 2020
There isn't any universal recipe for a great game, nor are there fundamentals that could be said to apply to all of them. Genre and audience alike make differences here

However if I am to answer a question this vague, then generally the "great games" tend to be what people wanted but didn't knew they wanted until finding them. Or what they wanted but no one could deliver well

If they are great not due to things like plot, but due to technical side then it's likely many others will imitate them in some way; whether in hopes of gain or due to liking the idea. It applies to more than just games, a tendency as old as history itself

That aside one can make a "solid" game. Use the genre right, avoid repetitiveness, don't make pacing too fast or too slow, more or less understand and care about audience
(something that the major developers seem to get increasingly worse at...)
and other things like that

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Good dialogue can really elevate a game. There's kind of a low bar set by some developers and lots of players have low expectations. Focusing even the smallest amount on the dialogue (rereading and editing at least a few times) can really help.

Deleted member 229118

Oct 3, 2017
People have different opinions on what makes a game good.
For me it is gameplay.
Visual novels arent even games as far i care.
Just a picture book with 1 or 2 dialog change's depending on your irelevant choice.

As for what make good gameplay:
Effort vs reward.
For example grind is doing the same action over and over again for too little reward.
Where just handing everything to the players makes it feel worthless.

A good game has proper pacing.
Slow enough to feel like you earn it but fast enough that you wont get bored with the grind.
For example: Flowers cost 30 dollars.
You earn 10 dollars every time you work.
Flowers increase targets love for you by 10.
At 10 love they give you a kiss, At 20 they give you a blowjob, etc.
As i get rewarded every time i turn in the flower i feel like i am making progress.
Where if i had to grind a 100 flowers just for a kiss(or even sex) i will just play something that is accauly fun.
Likewise if she trows herself at me and be my willing sex slave for just one flower it will feel meaningless.
I havent earned this level of devoting.
It is just given to me.
As a gamer i want to feel like i earned it.
Even if the dev is basicly giving it to me.
It must still feel earned.

Likewise likeable characters, good dialog, compelling story, etc.
All help making a good game.
But the key thing about a good game is:
Effort spend vs reward.

For example: I enjoy shadow of war because i enjoy getting my orc's in control of the fort.
Plotting what orc i want, how to get it, and how to assinate the warchief aswhile as ensure the overlords bodygaurds belong to me.
The gameplay is fun while i work towards this goal.
Without the nemesis system however the game would bored me to tears.
I already rush through the story just to get to the fun part.
Likewise games like station master, lab rats 1 and 2, strive to power, etc.
All give you the feeling of being rewarded.
Station master does this via managing your economy, gaining control of planets and the galaxie, compleet costumization of the slaves, etc.
Lab rats 1 had great characters and you love to see how much they change via your influence.
Lab rats 2 while a bit too grindy give the woman random generated personalies.
It is enjoyable to corrupt your family.
The employee's on the otherhand are meaningless.
Still a good game but way too grinding.
Strive to power is all about managine your slave's to not starve, keep the cause clean, earn money, upgrade the house, etc.

A good game give you a problem and the tools to solve said problem.
If you are making a game about a brothel the focus shoud be on money.
Upgrading the brothel, paying the whore's(slave brothels are overdone), bribing the cops, etc.
Likewise if your create a mind control game focus on giving the player the feeling of control.
Just turning woman into a slut is slutification.
Not mind control.
Having a woman whore herself out to make me money against her will.
Have he talk in monotone voice while acting as my chair.
Have her give me a blow job while i am eating.
All without her having a choice in the matter.
That is what makes mind control feel great.
Or a survival game where you need to get food, cloth, etc and use that to bribe/blackmail people into fucking you.

Effort vs reward.
That is the key thing.

Reactions: Zerei

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Asking "What makes a good game", is like asking "What makes a good car". You can't make a good car. Someone might say a good car is one that's good on gas mileage. Another might say it's the interior and exterior design that makes a good car. It's not an objective truth, instead it varies based on the audience and people who are going to play your game.

A better way to ask this would be, "What makes a good visual novel", because there lies some objective truth. Just like "What makes a good racing car", obviously it's power and speed is objectively important among other things.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
The short and also only valid answer (at least in my eyes) is: Any game which makes you REMEMBER it.

Games are getting spat out like wows from polititians these days, and most of them are arguably... less than great. However, there are games I remember for certain reasons. The reasons are very different from game to game, but the one thing they have in common is that I actually remember them.
Ofc you can also remember certain games because of how absolutely horrible they are, so it is a double-edged sword.

3lfscout

Jan 8, 2018
A good game constantly reminds you that your life sucks.
Because a good game tells you the red-text over and over again:
If you do this, if you arrange this, if this happens in real life, no lawyer will be able to save you, it's over, they will never ever let you outa the cage, unless your scheduled date of execution has come.
And that is what makes a good game so good, because - just like your greatgreatgreatgreatgreat(...)great-granddaddy in a now long forgotten era - you will NOT be punished for having fun.

JRD

Feb 4, 2018
This is a subjective question so you're going to get answers across the board. I like good plot and dialogue writing or well thought out management games. The visual art doesn't have to be 4k with painstaking detail if the writing and/or the mechanics are solid.

Again, just my opinion and not saying anyone else is right or wrong.

Summer Boy

Mar 22, 2020
to me what makes a good game is the experience, so it's a very personal matter. as we're talking about erotic games, to me the best of gameplay is a long story with several teasing events and it's better if the relationship between the mc and the npc advances slowly until they finally consummate it. dialogues and different daily activities are very important too.

akikospam74

Dec 19, 2019
Obviously this is a personal answer, does not apply for everyone

I like 3dcg VNs... so, to me, great visuals (renders + animations) and a good story are the main things every great game should have...

Other important things: MC shouldn't be a douche, choices matter to the story, and dialogues without many errors

Reactions: JRD

Hadley

Sep 18, 2017
It has to have a believable story and characters. Good writing is also very important.

Reactions: JRD

Evil Dr Porkchop

Brought to you by expensive technology
Donor
May 16, 2019
it's Subjective,myself I like humor,puzzles ( not those fuck it's gonna take me a week to figure this out ) stories that make me dislike or like a certain character,much like a movie,damn he didn't die etc

HopesGaming

The Godfather
Game Developer
Dec 21, 2017
Children in cages are usually a sure hit among the players. Plus point for no food for the kids.

Joshua Tree

Conversation Conqueror
Jul 10, 2017

Virulenz

Engaged Member
Sep 27, 2017
Shit...my language skills are too low to write a long text...i think i better make a short list:

1. Creativity (i dont care about any other aspects of a game and delete it if the story is stupid or boring as hell)
2. Humor (ok, it wouldnt fit to a drama, but i am no fan of dramas and this is my list ^^)
3. Well-conceived personalities (and individual fitting dialogues/hobbies/rooms/...no deep tanned poledancing computerfreak in gothicoutfit with a pink room at home)
4. Freedom (multiple choices and possibilities are the difference between good games and books, TV and sometimes even real life)
5. System (neatly arranged HUD, no awkwardly controls/keyset, less than 10 useless blackscreens or ". .. ..." per conversation/scene, optional content filter)
6. Look (there are many recycled backgrounds in games, some have unique but illegible fonts or color combinations triggering eye-cancer. I dont care if 2d, 3d, render or drawing, it should just blend in with the other graphics)
7. Variation (copy'n'paste is the worst concept. Individual body types, sizes, hairstyle and outfits should be used for every chara)