What makes a great patreon page?

mmfcjf

Sep 15, 2021
Hello all,

What are some of the things that you believe are bare minimum for a developer's patreon page? What are some developers who standout for their pages and why? If you yourself have one, what are some advice you'd give in running one? I'm considering starting one for developing a game, and wanted to reach out and start a discussion about how to deliever the highest quality page as possible.

Reactions: Mano_Muerta

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
All patreon pages look incredibly shit and off putting with no info and locked down posts.
The winning move is have a functional page of info somewhere else.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
Include some info/updates that the public can see. If I go to your page and everything is behind a paywall, why would I bother to support you?

Also title your posts in a way that is clear and makes sense, so that even if I can't see that post I understand what you're doing and how often.

Reactions: hakarlman

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Include some info/updates that the public can see. If I go to your page and everything is behind a paywall, why would I bother to support you?
I just want to make a note about this, because is not as easy as it seems. The public posts in patreon are monitored, there are even bots that trigger if you even mention things like sex, so it's difficult to post public updates on the project without mentioning them. Some games publish project updates public, like Hornstown, but they have to word them weirdly to avoid this.

At first I did it, but as time went on I've found that really difficult. Until I got to my current sex worker storyline, now I had to make the updates for patreon-only or I wouldn't be able to say anything on the posts :ROFLMAO:

But I know I need to re-do almost everything on my Patreon page, starting with my boring banner.

Nov 8, 2021
I'd say as long as you communicate well and don't over-exert the project I consider that to be a good page.
On a related note- I've seen people complain about discords but I mean really they're well integrated ways to have "face to face" conversations about the project.

In most games' cases the issue wasn't the patreon (though they didn't help) it was the dev hell that ensued. The most recent case I can think of at the moment is Kingdom of Deception, which was a game with good momentum that came to a halt when their lead writer left. The game's updates have been in a flux state, with the team switching to a more modular approach I hear. There is another example but I don't like hating and I don't want to invoke any wrath.

Deleted member 5954819

Beyond Tomorrow
Game Developer
Mar 31, 2023
What a developer can post publicly on their Patreon is pretty limited. Erotica, nudity, and similar examples are prohibited for public sharing. Even some pictures in which the character is in underwear are evaluated by the system as inappropriate, and Patreon itself immediately recommends that you publish the post only for subscribers. Otherwise, it may happen that the post will be deleted or you will be banned straight away, as it has already happened to some developers here

Reactions: hakarlman

Max Craving

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2017
I think what makes a great Patreon page is a great game. Players donate to get something. As long as they understand what they will get and they want it, they will donate, I think. I have no experience with Patreon, but logic tells me so.

Fried_Squid

Dec 7, 2019
Hard to say since I wouldn't consider Patreon a considerably effect website for conveying information to the audience. The info you can include is what the Patreon provides to the patrons. Tell them precisely what they could expect if they give you their coins. Maybe a timeline on when they can expect updates and follow that schedule to the T. If you can't meet the schedule for any particular reason, make sure the patrons know beforehand so they don't get blindsided by an unexpected lack of updates. I suppose that's what people generally expect from a Patreon page.

TessaXYZ

Game Developer
Mar 24, 2020
Hello all,

What are some of the things that you believe are bare minimum for a developer's patreon page? What are some developers who standout for their pages and why? If you yourself have one, what are some advice you'd give in running one? I'm considering starting one for developing a game, and wanted to reach out and start a discussion about how to deliever the highest quality page as possible.
Transparency. That's the only thing that really matters.

May 12, 2023
I think having a Demo reel of current progress and, having lots of images that people can check out before deciding to donate. Also, having a professional pfp. Like, don't just put Naruto as your pfp on your patreon, but the Logo of the game.

Reactions: Max Craving

NightLux

Aug 4, 2017
All patreon pages look incredibly shit and off putting with no info and locked down posts.
The winning move is have a functional page of info somewhere else.
This this this.

Look, if all I have to go on is your page here (or a few others elsewhere) and a patreon that is locked down, its going to be hard for me to want to sign up.

Oh, and having the lowest option be something around $1-3 dollars. I'd consider that a tip if nothing else to get the newest version and look around. I saw one the other day that had the lowest option be $10. WTH?

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
Oh, and having the lowest option be something around $1-3 dollars. I'd consider that a tip if nothing else to get the newest version and look around. I saw one the other day that had the lowest option be $10. WTH?
no money no honey

NightLux

Aug 4, 2017
no money no honey
And it works the other way in return. Go take a look at DarkCookie's. Now, granted, that's based on a whole team, but it points you to many things, gives a lot of details and even some of the posts can be viewed. And, again, that low level gives someone an entry point. While I understand you might be losing some $5 subscribers with that $1, its about point of entry and retention. Someone paying $1 per month will probably not look at that subscription as the first to cut... but someone paying $20? Yeah, that's probably the top of the list, especially given the industry.

peterppp

Mar 5, 2020
And it works the other way in return. Go take a look at DarkCookie's. Now, granted, that's based on a whole team, but it points you to many things, gives a lot of details and even some of the posts can be viewed. And, again, that low level gives someone an entry point. While I understand you might be losing some $5 subscribers with that $1, its about point of entry and retention. Someone paying $1 per month will probably not look at that subscription as the first to cut... but someone paying $20? Yeah, that's probably the top of the list, especially given the industry.
yes it's an entry point but whether you earn more from it or not is arguable. after fees, you wont earn much from $1 subs and if there were no $1 tier perhaps they would go for the lowest $5 or $10 tier. and it's one less tier to bother with for the dev. i probably wouldn't have a $10 tier as the lowest, but also have a $1 or $2 tier, but for $5 i think you probably earn more for skipping any lower tier. but more than anything, that depends on the rewards for the tiers.

Death Panda

May 8, 2023
What a developer can post publicly on their Patreon is pretty limited. Erotica, nudity, and similar examples are prohibited for public sharing. Even some pictures in which the character is in underwear are evaluated by the system as inappropriate, and Patreon itself immediately recommends that you publish the post only for subscribers. Otherwise, it may happen that the post will be deleted or you will be banned straight away, as it has already happened to some developers here
Maybe that is a sign that Patreon is not a suitable place to ask for donations to support the development of erotic games, rather than a reason to not be transparent when doing so.