What makes a really good adult game?

goatscaping

May 23, 2018
I've played a lot of games, but none that I actually felt incorporated the sex with the game to make it feel whole.

In my opinion, adult games tend to ignore the fact that it's a game and devolves into some mindless activity for the "reward" of sex scenes.

I think this is why I felt skyrim or even the sims4 with adult mods is better than all the professional "adult" games that I've played so far.

What are your thoughts on this?

*Extra questions, just because I'm curious:

1. What do you guys prefer 2D or 3D?

My own opinion is that both are fine, as long as the game can actually hook me into the story.

2. Static or animated?

Animated.

3. Static with good writing or animated with controls?

This is honestly a toss up for me, both have their merits, but what I have yet to see is a game both animated with controls and with good writing and I would like to see someone make a game like that.

4. RPG, linear visual novels, VNs with choices, clicking games, or card games (like on nutaku)?

For me, RPG as long as it doesn't have random encounters and boring combat.

Jan 4, 2019
Definitely something I think about. Being able to play lots of games very quickly on this site makes it easier to see what design works and doesn't.

To answer your questions, I prefer 2D, animated games. I can enjoy both static games as well as control-based games, but my general rules of thumb are no RPGmaker games (some exceptions), no Visual Novels (as I want some gameplay), and no "realistic" 3D render-based graphics (I find most of it way too uncanny).

Although I have played around with some adult game mods, I think games built from the ground up as H games can better integrate gameplay and adult content. I think also having the H content being largely optional is another good feature, and variety is another important goal. One game which did a great job of this (although it ultimately ended up as a Patreon scam) was SimBro. You can "peek" on brothel activity if you want (optional (y)), this brothel activity is your main money maker and girls you hire will appear in the scenes (integrated, high variety (y)).

I think having a "metagame" or New Game+ system also goes a long way to making a game a truly replayable timesink. SimBro has this as well, but a game like Incubus City with it's variety of endings, beginnings, and collectible scene tokens would be a prime example of a good implementation of this.

One other thing that I think makes really great games, but which perhaps is underutilized is player choice. Ultimately, the individual playing knows what they want, so I think there is definitely room for more "sandbox" style games. Lilith's Throne is one example of a game that pulls this off well, by procedurally generating characters on a static map and providing a very in-depth (although text-based) sex system.

Not sure any of these will line up with your tastes, but I am just providing them as examples of games that execute these particular elements of "goodness" very well.

Reactions: goatscaping