What makes an RPGM game bad?

WitheredTulip

Jun 19, 2022
I'm genuinely curious since I see it quite a bit on the Forums (alongside meil bad, MTL poetry, and ofc NTR arguments).

What makes an RPGM game "bad". Random enemy encounters? Large maps? Saturation of content overall lowering the quality of games produced?

Could you theoretically make a game like Corruption of Champions be "as well received" on RPGM as it was on flash? Are there any games you think would be better on RPGM?

Are there any RPGM games you like that break this curse?
Any alternative engines you would recommend to anyone trying to develop their first game, or have learnt and stuck with RPGM for all their projects?

Is RPGM only good for a specific type of game, and if so, what?
Do games like Drow's Life and Missy nail what it means to be a good RPGM game, or are those, too, potential masterpieces damned by a bad engine?

Genuinely curious, feel free to post your takes and discuss :)

Pretentious Goblin

Devoted Member
Nov 3, 2017
- Overuse of stock assets
- Potentially too much combat, especially if it's just stock RPGM battles and mechanics
- Even for games that have zero combat, some players see traversing the maps as a waste of time and would prefer a VN instead
- Few of the comforts of Ren'py when it comes to going through dialogue. No rollback, no fast skip feature, etc. Though there exist plugins for (most of?) these things on newer versions of the engine.

In short, the engine is not good out-of-the-box for the types of ero-games that are popular with western audiences (3dcg VNs) and what sets it apart (good tools for making a 16-bit RPG) is again not appreciated by western audiences when they just want to fap.

imo for ero-games, RPGM does best when it avoids most of the stuff that comes stock with it, and instead implements something that actually integrates the H into the gameplay. Karryn's Prison is very popular for that, even though it's pretty sloppy to play.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
In short, the engine is not good out-of-the-box for the types of ero-games that are popular with western audiences (3dcg VNs) and what sets it apart (good tools for making a 16-bit RPG) is again not appreciated by western audiences when they just want to fap.
It's not the reason. RPG Maker is disliked because it's used for VN-like.
Most players don't care about the combat or having to travel through the map. What they dislike is useless combats that come from nowhere, and map that exist for the sole purpose to exist. But when it's an effective RPG game, generally the game is appreciated.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Donjoe81

WitheredTulip

Jun 19, 2022
- Overuse of stock assets
- Potentially too much combat, especially if it's just stock RPGM battles and mechanics
- Even for games that have zero combat, some players see traversing the maps as a waste of time and would prefer a VN instead
- Few of the comforts of Ren'py when it comes to going through dialogue. No rollback, no fast skip feature, etc. Though there exist plugins for (most of?) these things on newer versions of the engine.

imo for ero-games, RPGM does best when it avoids most of the stuff that comes stock with it, and instead implements something that actually integrates the H into the gameplay. Karryn's Prison is very popular for that, even though it's pretty sloppy to play.
Honestly, this is what I expected

It's not the reason. RPG Maker is disliked because it's used for VN-like.
Most players don't care about the combat or having to travel through the map. What they dislike is useless combats that come from nowhere, and map that exist for the sole purpose to exist. But when it's an effective RPG game, generally the game is appreciated.
That's a good point. Something like Noxurtica's Mistress vs Slave is incredibly unfitting for RPGM, but Meritocracy of the Oni and Blade by OneOne1 is right at home with the engine.

Do your have any examples of good h-RPG games on RPGM?

Reactions: Donjoe81

Donjoe81

Dec 30, 2022
There are quite some problems I have with RPGM games and the engine in general. The engine itself is not that bad, but it doesn´t offer functions that you´ll find in renpy like the skip option, which leaves you forced to click through countless walls of text.
It also doesn´t run so well for some games that have animations. The biggest problem I have with XXX RPGM´s is that most of these games are just VN´s ,and the RPGM mechanics feel pointless and like the sole purpose of these mechanics are to be filler.
If I want to play an RPGM I play the good ones and not the xxx games.