What Payment metod is more used?

ReyBell

Game Developer
Aug 9, 2017
Hello guys im in need of "PayPall" like site for my project on patreon for patrons thingy. Any ideas or advices what site i should avoid or definitly go for it?

Apr 19, 2020
Patreon is popular, but people keep getting banned.
I'd say avoid if possible.

Smaller alternatives are SubscribeStar, Fanbox.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
People keep getting banned in Patreon for violating their Terms of Use, you might have nothing to worry about depending on your kind of game. I wouldn't trust my funds to a shady, almost ghostly company like subscribestar. I'd say avoid if possible.

Apr 19, 2020
People keep getting banned in Patreon for violating their Terms of Use, by a bunch of upset karens, you might have nothing to worry about depending on your kind of game and what you post outside of patreon, and how angry all the karens and patreon mods get. I wouldn't trust my funds to a shady, almost ghostly company like subscribestar and patreon. I'd say avoid if possible.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
You got some vendeta against Patreon? People are getting banned for promoting incest/rape/bestiality stories on Patreon, which is against their Terms of Use. Besdies Patreon couldnt give a shit what you make, but their investers make the rules. It's stupid they are looking the other way for their top earners, but for any new games as long as it doesnt have the above kinks you should be completely fine.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Patreon helps you to fund your project. You agree to their Terms of Use. If your real project contains incest, bestiality, shota or whatever controversial content they don't like, they have the right to investigate if you're actually trying to cheat their rules by offering a 'complete' product outside Patreon while keeping a 'light' version on their platform hoping they won't notice. You may not like the reasons behind that but they can do it. You're taking advantage of their services to get funds for making something they don't approve, something you said you won't be making when you accepted their ToU. It's easy, people who is getting banned are just cheaters who were reported probably by some of their own patrons.

Reactions: anne O'nymous

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Fun fact I've found in Subscribestar terms of use. They won't let you grab your money unless you have 150$ available in your balance. Then you can only make 2 withdrawals per month (you have to wait 14 days between withdrawals). Sure they keep your money safer... maybe investing it in the meantime? I can not imagine any other reason why they wouldn't allow you to retrieve your subscribers' money as you wish.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I can not imagine any other reason why they wouldn't allow you to retrieve your subscribers' money as you wish.
Balance between payment processor operating cost and subscribestar cut, to stay somewhat competitive. They obviously havn't the same deal patreon got being rather small. My 2 cents.

Reactions: moskyx

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
Balance between payment processor operating cost and subscribestar cut, to stay somewhat competitive. They obviously havn't the same deal patreon got being rather small. My 2 cents.
They also set a 50$ minimum per withdrawal, so it's obvious they're trying to avoid a myriad of tiny transactions. I guess your assumption is plausible but honestly I'm surprised they couldn't get a better deal anywhere, considering this should be a key element of their business.

xMentat

Apr 14, 2018
If you send me $10 in bitcoin to bc1qar0srrr7xfkvy5l643lydnw9re59gtzzwf5mdq, I will let you in to the secret.

OK, DON'T DO THAT, for the avoidance of doubt, I was having a laugh.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
They also set a 50$ minimum per withdrawal, so it's obvious they're trying to avoid a myriad of tiny transactions. I guess your assumption is plausible but honestly I'm surprised they couldn't get a better deal anywhere, considering this should be a key element of their business.
What is surprising isn't that they couldn't get a better deal, but that they don't let the creator decide by himself. It isn't really difficult to add a few lines in the code of their platform to have something like, "warning, if you withdraw your money now, the cost will be of XX, but if you wait to have 50$, it will be only of XX". Then, the creator do what he want ; after all, it's supposed to be his money now, that's what their patrons thought when they gave their pledge.

Now, for the "why", well... why not this :

If you look at the , only 13xx over 37xx earn at least $50/month, and around 2xxx, so more or less 45% would need more than two months to reach the $50 limit.
If you look at other kind of creators, like by example , it's worse. 35xx over 13xxx earn at least 50$/month, and around 55% need more that two month to earn $50.
[Note: According to the ordered data, it's 60% and not 55%. But the creators that don't make their earning public are at the bottom of the list. So I assumed that 5% of them earn at least $50/month.]

In the end, a wild but reasonable guess lead to around 50% of the creators on subscribestar having to wait at least six months before they can do their first withdrawal. Then, if they don't want to wait this much again, they'll withdraw $50 and wait at least two months before their next withdraw.
So, if there's already 4 000 creators using subscribestar, it's around 200 000$ that is always left on subscribestar's bank account. Not an astounding amount of interest, but it start to be a concern, especially since it's not their money. If it was Patreon and their 150 000+ creators, it would represent at least 7 500 000$ ; even with monthly interest of 1 per 1000, you can have a decent life with just the interest.

moskyx

Forum Fanatic
Jun 17, 2019
What is surprising isn't that they couldn't get a better deal, but that they don't let the creator decide by himself. It isn't really difficult to add a few lines in the code of their platform to have something like, "warning, if you withdraw your money now, the cost will be of XX, but if you wait to have 50$, it will be only of XX". Then, the creator do what he want ; after all, it's supposed to be his money now, that's what their patrons thought when they gave their pledge.

Now, for the "why", well... why not this :

If you look at the , only 13xx over 37xx earn at least $50/month, and around 2xxx, so more or less 45% would need more than two months to reach the $50 limit.
If you look at other kind of creators, like by example , it's worse. 35xx over 13xxx earn at least 50$/month, and around 55% need more that two month to earn $50.
[Note: According to the ordered data, it's 60% and not 55%. But the creators that don't make their earning public are at the bottom of the list. So I assumed that 5% of them earn at least $50/month.]

In the end, a wild but reasonable guess lead to around 50% of the creators on subscribestar having to wait at least six months before they can do their first withdrawal. Then, if they don't want to wait this much again, they'll withdraw $50 and wait at least two months before their next withdraw.
So, if there's already 4 000 creators using subscribestar, it's around 200 000$ that is always left on subscribestar's bank account. Not an astounding amount of interest, but it start to be a concern, especially since it's not their money. If it was Patreon and their 150 000+ creators, it would represent at least 7 500 000$ ; even with monthly interest of 1 per 1000, you can have a decent life with just the interest.
No wonder they won't ban anyone

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Something to consider I haven't seen anyone talk about is VAT. In the EU you are responsible to collect VAT from EU residents (Even if you are not located in the EU) and all countries have different levels of VAT. If you are generating enough income to be considered a company (don't have to be registered as such) you will be on the hook for VAT. Make sure the business you use to collect the money for you also collects the VAT for you otherwise you'll have to deal with that hassle yourself. Basically Patreon and Subscribestar do but I have seen at least one other platform that didn't and if you take donations directly via PayPal they definitely won't do it for you. (If you do not live in the EU, will never visit the EU and are sure your country will not try to join the EU during your life time it might be less of a problem because I doubt they will issue an arrest warrant for tax evasion on this level.)