Ren'Py What render settings should I use in Adobe Premiere that fit Renpy?

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
So for those who have followed my character arc, knows that I have been doing a booty slap animation, and now I need to put it in Renpy.

So I merged the animation with the slap sound, the issue I have is that it won't play in Renpy (Because of course it wont? Right? :D)

I looked into the issue, and apparently it is that when I output the video from Premiere, I need to have certain coding settings on or something, because Renpy can only read a certain coding, I dunno lol.

So my question is this, what are the exact settings in the Output Panel in Premiere when I output my videofile that I need to tick, in order for the video to play in Renpy? I do recognise that not everyone may be using Premiere for their video render output thing, but do I need to have a set encoding on my output or something?

My resolution, as of now, is 3200x1800 Pixels (When I rendered the animation in Daz)

thx!

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
First, before inserting the images in Premiere, lower the resolution to FullHD (1920x1080)... in fact, to create animations, you could render directly to that resolution and shorten the rendering times (note that in video, image quality is not appreciated as much as with a still image).

As for the parameters when exporting the video, use the codec "H.264" (MP4) to 1920x1080, to the frames you want (usually 23.97 in areas where NTSC was used (United States, etc...), 25 frames where PAL was used (Europe, etc...), or in cinema 24 frames per second are used); progressive fields.

Check the "Process to Maximum Depth" option.

And for bitrate settings... it depends, I use a high bitrate because then I convert the video with another program to WEBM (video VP9 codec and audio OGG).
If you are going to use the Premiere file itself, select VBR 2 passes and the default bitrate (6 average, 8 max).
If you are going to convert that video, select CBR at 30Mbps... then you can use free programs (like ) to convert it to WEBM easily.

The WEBM format is smaller and works well on renpy, in fact, it's the recommended one.

Here a list of supported formats:

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Update:

Also note that Premiere can import MP3 files but cannot export them (at least I don't see that option in the version I use); by default the format used is AAC, which as far as you can see is not supported by Renpy... so, if you want to use the video produced by Premiere, you will have to select, as audio, MPEG (Mpeg-1, layer2).

In short... use premiere to edit the master video file, but then use a converter to pass it to WEBM (VP9+Ogg) :p

Reactions: KinksterKitty

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
How ever you do it, make a preset, I got this off google ages ago
premier1.jpg
Then just tick this box
premier2.jpg
Like mgomez0077 says you have to run it through another converter anyway so its compress the audio for me correctly

Reactions: KinksterKitty

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
then you can use free programs (like ) to convert it to WEBM easily.

The WEBM format is smaller and works well on renpy, in fact, it's the recommended one.

Here a list of supported formats:
Thanks! Worked like a charm <3

you have to run it through another converter anyway so its compress the audio for me correctly
Thanks for those screenshots! Will help immensely! <3

So I got the video to play, no worries there. However... I have music in my game, and the music stopped playing when I showed the clip.

I am currently using this command to show clips:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("Example.webm")

Is there any work around? If there is not, that is fair enough. Just wondering.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Thanks! Worked like a charm <3

Thanks for those screenshots! Will help immensely! <3

So I got the video to play, no worries there. However... I have music in my game, and the music stopped playing when I showed the clip.

I am currently using this command to show clips:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene("Example.webm")

Is there any work around? If there is not, that is fair enough. Just wondering.
That code for playing renpy videos is out of date :p

Try this one:
Code:
label myvideo:
    window hide
    play movie "movies/myvideo_1.webm"
    show movie
    $ renpy.pause(7.6, hard=True)   ### Forces the player to watch the video for as many seconds as you want (useful for sequences without loop)

window hide
    play movie "movies/myvideo_2.webm" loop   ### There will be a loop until the player wants to advance.
    show movie
    pause
And somewhere in the code, I also have this:
Code:
    image movie = Movie(size=(1920, 1080), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

Reactions: mickydoo

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
That code for playing renpy videos is out of date :p

Try this one:
Code:
label myvideo:
    window hide
    play movie "movies/myvideo_1.webm"
    show movie
    $ renpy.pause(7.6, hard=True)   ### Forces the player to watch the video for as many seconds as you want (useful for sequences without loop)

window hide
    play movie "movies/myvideo_2.webm" loop   ### There will be a loop until the player wants to advance.
    show movie
    pause
And somewhere in the code, I also have this:
Code:
    image movie = Movie(size=(1920, 1080), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)
I did try the label one, the problem is that my video is already being shown under a label. The player makes a choice, and then later on in that "Path" the clip gets shown.

With that said, if I do it the way you just posted, will that make my default music keep playing, or will it stop?

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
I did try the label one, the problem is that my video is already being shown under a label. The player makes a choice, and then later on in that "Path" the clip gets shown.

With that said, if I do it the way you just posted, will that make my default music keep playing, or will it stop?
If you want, put your code here and we can check it... but I don't see the problem in the labels... from what you say, your code must be something like this:
Python:
label your_actual_label:
    "..."
    play music "music/your_music.ogg"
    menu:
        "Make your choice"

"Show me the video":

window hide
             show movie
             pause

stop movie   ### stop playing video, THIS IS IMPORTANT
             scene image01   ### The next static image

pass   ### Jump to the "previous line" of indentation to continue the story.

"Don't show the video":

"Oh, it's a shame..."

pass   ### Jump to the "previous line" of indentation to continue the story.

stop music fadeout 6.0
    "..."   ## After "pass" command, story continues here

As for whether the music and audio of your video will play at the same time... I'm not 100% sure, but if not, you will have to specify a "channel" to play the videos that is independent of the music:
Python:
    image movie = Movie(channel="movie", size=(1920, 1080), xpos=0, ypos=0, xanchor=0, yanchor=0)

KinksterKitty

Jul 28, 2017
I know I am super late in saying this, but I got it to work using webm thingy

Just saying in case someone has a similiar question to me ^^