What rewards are most important to you when supporting a game/artist?

What rewards are most important to you for patreon/subscribestar etc?

• Exclusive/HD artwork, images or videos

• Polls on development/art

• Simply direct download/access of the game or art itself

• Name in credits

• Early access or downloads before everyone else

• Walkthroughs, guides, or process videos

• Behind the scenes and WIP updates

• Discord server

• I financially support projects and artists without expecting anything in return

• I do not financially support projects or artists

Results are only viewable after voting.
Apr 18, 2021
What rewards interest you the most when considering subscribing to a game or artist on Patreon or Subscribestar (or similar)?
Instead, do some of you offer support without expecting any rewards or do you completely disagree with financially supporting at all?

If I missed something or there is another reason that you would be interested in supporting a content creator, please add it here.

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
The only reward I want is a finished product.

So to the point, I only buy a finished product.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
I personally don't want anything other than VN updates.

But if i had to give an answer, behind the scenes/WIP and early access i guess.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
When I support a dev I don't expect anything back. I'm supporting them because I like their work and want them to do more of that work.
Exactly. What don't mean that OP can give reward, but from my point of view, they are more on the side of a "thanks" gave to those who pledge more than the others. Some kind of, "you're generous with me, let me give you this in exchange".

Apr 18, 2021
The only reward I want is a finished product.

So to the point, I only buy a finished product.
For those who feel this way, would you buy a finished partial chapter of a game such as Being A Dik's "Season 1"? Do you buy each chapter as they release or do you wait for a "full" version to purchase? What about early access games?

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
For those who feel this way, would you buy a finished partial chapter of a game such as Being A Dik's "Season 1"? Do you buy each chapter as they release or do you wait for a "full" version to purchase? What about early access games?

The reason people feel this way is because games get started and never finished, plus sometimes devs just don't do the ethical thing and stop charging their patrons when they stop working on their games.

It's kind of feast or famine. When I can afford too, I'll support creators who are actively working on their game and expect nothing else beyond that. I know that even what I consider a financially successful game is still nowhere near enough money to live off of, and the best you can hope for from most creators is someone who cares about producing their game with the little free time they have each week.

Reactions: Fatalmasterpiece
Apr 18, 2021
The reason people feel this way is because games get started and never finished, plus sometimes devs just don't do the ethical thing and stop charging their patrons when they stop working on their games.

It's kind of feast or famine. When I can afford too, I'll support creators who are actively working on their game and expect nothing else beyond that. I know that even what I consider a financially successful game is still nowhere near enough money to live off of, and the best you can hope for from most creators is someone who cares about producing their game with the little free time they have each week.
I can see that but many ongoing games will have 50+ hours of content or more despite not technically being "finished". A lot of them seem like they will never end and just have an ongoing subscriber base like Summertime Saga or Trials in Tainted Space. So I'm curious if people who want a "finished product" would be happier with episodic portions of an ongoing game that doesn't seem to have an end in sight.

Personally I'm not a big fan of these, I feel like a good story should have a beginning and an end. Some developers start introducing tons of side characters and derailing their plot in an effort to keep dragging things out *cough* BaDik *cough*

Reactions: OsamiWorks

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
I can see that but many ongoing games will have 50+ hours of content or more despite not technically being "finished". A lot of them seem like they will never end and just have an ongoing subscriber base like Summertime Saga or Trials in Tainted Space. So I'm curious if people who want a "finished product" would be happier with episodic portions of an ongoing game that doesn't seem to have an end in sight.

Personally I'm not a big fan of these, I feel like a good story should have a beginning and an end. Some developers start introducing tons of side characters and derailing their plot in an effort to keep dragging things out *cough* BaDik *cough*
lol Dr Pink Cake and his 15k patrons, he's exceptional as a writer. I played Acting Lesson but I havent revisted BaDik in a while. It wasn't a terrible story from what I remember last (except I simped for the librarian milf side character and wanted more of that). I don't remember the plot of his story, it seemed more like each girl had their own plotline and the main character's plot was to live the chad slice of life simulator. His scope might be creeping up, but he's actually making progress so I think the approach is fine.

Deleted member 563623

Apr 19, 2018
Couldn't care less about rewards. I actively dislike them and overuse of bonus and tiers and such honestly make me a bit wary of that creator. They're using fomo to entice spending.

I view and treat patreon as actual real life patronage. Simply supporting an artist so they can focus and work to produce the content that attracted me in the first place.

Apr 18, 2021
lol Dr Pink Cake and his 15k patrons, he's exceptional as a writer. I played Acting Lesson but I havent revisted BaDik in a while. It wasn't a terrible story from what I remember last (except I simped for the librarian milf side character and wanted more of that). I don't remember the plot of his story, it seemed more like each girl had their own plotline and the main character's plot was to live the chad slice of life simulator. His scope might be creeping up, but he's actually making progress so I think the approach is fine.
I agree, Acting Lessons is golden and I have really enjoyed BaDik but where Acting Lessons had a nice linear story with rising action and a conclusive plot, BaDik is really starting to ramble in Season 8 with it's expanding cast of characters. I can't see there being any kind of satisfying ending to that story any time soon.

Carrera

Jun 25, 2017
I'll buy the completed game.

And I do NOT buy early access, been burned on that shit far to often.

Finish your product, or GTFO.

But but but!!! A dev can't finish without money!!, Bullshit, some of the best games I've ever played was made in a dudes garage in his spare time and once released it made a fortune.

Yes, a dev SHOULD get paid, but I'm not supporting anyone who drags their feet and make no mistake a lot of devs, even those you consider trustworthy would work much more efficiently if they knew the only way they'd get a payday was to deliver a finished product.