VN what should a new solo game developer do? make a free game or a paid one and why?

realpookie

Game Developer
Jan 6, 2023
what should a new solo game developer do? make a free game or a paid one and why? to get more successful?

so I'm developing my own title now and I don't know what to do when it comes to monetizing the work, and I know that it will be hard to make money from the first game even if its the best thing in the world, but I don't know why my mind is not giving me clear answers to my question like I want to make the free game and promote them till a get somewhat famous but I already put so many efforts into it that I want to make something on it, idk how to solve this issue, that why I'm asking this question if anyone the members want to guide me please do so, I would really really appreciate your feedback

M$hot

May 28, 2017
How about a mix? You offer it here for free (a week or w/e after you release it to your Patreon/Subscribestar) and when the game is done you throw it onto Steam? Normally I am not a big believer in 'payment in exposure' but in this case, giving it away for free is cheaper than spending on Google Adsense or otherwise having to advertise your game. Plus I think a big part of your target demographic has adblock anyway.

That way people who like it early and want to support early can, people who may be converted to supporting IF they see steady progress can get their hands on it to at least know about the game so they may support it eventually AND the people who have been burned so often they only want to buy completed games can buy it once you've finished it.

In short, delayed free model probably. And be realistic, even if you don't offer it for free, with enough demand for it, it will end up here regardless.

Reactions: realpookie

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I think if you're a new dev you're best off starting with a mod rather than a full fledged game. It's a smaller undertaking but still gives you a chance to learn and get feedback from fans.

Reactions: realpookie

Tataro

Mar 27, 2018
If people supported games only to get access to them you'd only buy patreon membership on release and cancel immediately. Make the game free while allowing people to support you trough patreon until you get off your feet.

realpookie

Game Developer
Jan 6, 2023
How about a mix? You offer it here for free (a week or w/e after you release it to your Patreon/Subscribestar) and when the game is done you throw it onto Steam? Normally I am not a big believer in 'payment in exposure' but in this case, giving it away for free is cheaper than spending on Google Adsense or otherwise having to advertise your game. Plus I think a big part of your target demographic has adblock anyway.

That way people who like it early and want to support early can, people who may be converted to supporting IF they see steady progress can get their hands on it to at least know about the game so they may support it eventually AND the people who have been burned so often they only want to buy completed games can buy it once you've finished it.

In short, delayed free model probably. And be realistic, even if you don't offer it for free, with enough demand for it, it will end up here regardless.
i think you are right