What should be my first step if i'm going to get into creating visual novels with daz3d/renpy?

Frooty

May 22, 2017
Note: I am just a player, i have no experience with programming or art but i'd love to gain that experience(I definitely have the free time, a bunch of it in fact) .

I just don't even know where to begin and what the requirements will be :unsure: but i am pretty sure i'm going to use Daz3d because of the HD models and all the content is has to offer, but it is the only program that i know of so..

By the way if this is in the wrong section please move it to the proper section.. i'm not use to posting on the forum. :)

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
I mean, that's a loaded question.

I think instead of typing out a large informational wikipedia, I'll just refer you to one tool that will consistently provide you the best results and help guide you through any issues or questions you have.

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

Because quite frankly there is a lot of ways you could learn, a lot of ways you could start, and a lot of ways you could finish. None of them are objectively better. One things for certain though, you'll have to search for a lot of tutorials, code examples, daz assistance, and much more. I'm not being ignorant. I just want you to familiarize yourself with this idea because it's pretty common.

EDIT: Just because this may make me sound like an ass. What you're probably looking for is . You may want to familiarize yourself with as that's the language RenPy uses. RenPy is a . For rendering, the forums are full of information on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrBree

Frooty

May 22, 2017
I mean, that's a loaded question.

I think instead of typing out a large informational wikipedia, I'll just refer you to one tool that will consistently provide you the best results and help guide you through any issues or questions you have.

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

Because quite frankly there is a lot of ways you could learn, a lot of ways you could start, and a lot of ways you could finish. None of them are objectively better. One things for certain though, you'll have to search for a lot of tutorials, code examples, daz assistance, and much more. I'm not being ignorant. I just want you to familiarize yourself with this idea because it's pretty common.
I have looked at some tutorials on youtube and created my own basic animations/poses, but i feel like this community would be better for me to learn from because of the experienced people here. Just googling things can have its pluses but it can definitely have it's negatives. For instance i'd rather have someone show me something that can help me learn how to program other than taking programming classes. I'd rather be learning what i will be using other than learning a bunch of stuff that is potentially useless for me. I don't really know what i'm getting into there for i could waste a lot of time/money which are extremely valuable.

I could easily go on to google and attempt to learn to program but i know that it's more complex than just "learning how to program" there are different languages and some languages are probably not even used to make VN games. I could definitely watch tutorials for daz3d on youtube hours a day for weeks maybe months but will i even use what i learned?

I feel like this is the difference between working hard and working smart, i'd rather work smart and hard. I'd rather use my time and money more efficiently. I plan on using what i will learn and only learn what i will use.

Hopefully i'm making sense and not sounding like a dimwit.:p

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Experiment, that would be my suggestion.

experiment with daz to see if you can generate art that interest you. experiment with renpy to see if you can get some basic game functionality, experiment with what ever interests you, be it using placeholder art, different engines or programs (like blender), try geting free game assets from itch.io or unity store and derp around

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Check out what I linked in my edit. That's RenPy which is popularly used for visual novels around here. There's nothing about RenPy that you can learn that's not worth your time. You're gonna want, but I guess you don't really need, a basic understanding of programming and python specifically to use RenPy imo.

My reason for posting Google is because a lot of these threads pop up, and it's the same discussion Everytime. Unfortunately not every detail you need to make a game is conveniently located in one spot. You'll have to piece knowledge together. There may be some people on here that will be willing to share their time to help you, but that's on their own accord.

There is nothing useless that can come out of a programming course relevant to the language or tool of your choice. In one way or another, you will end up using the knowledge in what you're doing. It just depends on how long you stick with what you're doing, and how much you want to do.

Reactions: Frooty

Frooty

May 22, 2017
Check out what I linked in my edit. That's RenPy which is popularly used for visual novels around here. There's nothing about RenPy that you can learn that's not worth your time. You're gonna want, but I guess you don't really need, a basic understanding of programming and python specifically to use RenPy imo.

My reason for posting Google is because a lot of these threads pop up, and it's the same discussion Everytime. Unfortunately not every detail you need to make a game is conveniently located in one spot. You'll have to piece knowledge together. There may be some people on here that will be willing to share their time to help you, but that's on their own accord.

There is nothing useless that can come out of a programming course relevant to the language or tool of your choice. In one way or another, you will end up using the knowledge in what you're doing. It just depends on how long you stick with what you're doing, and how much you want to do.
Hm okay i see what you're saying.. i'm a bit of a perfectionist and a major strategist so i'm just trying to come up with a plan that is very efficient. So i guess i will learn the different types of visual novels, figure out which type of visual novels i will be making, then learn the programming language that will be best for the visual novels i will make and then do what Saki_Sliz said and learn some by experimenting with renpy and daz3d. And then design the VN i want to make and buy the resources i will need to create it (daz3d assets etc.) and then attempt to create a test version of the VN i designed and mess around with it until i feel i am ready to start creating the public version of the VN.

I feel pretty confident with that plan! (y) if everything works out i would love to create a guide for people like me and possibly some program that helps people get a jump start for free.