What *Specific* Attributes Should I Look for in a Graphics Card?

Craiggerbird

Feb 24, 2020
Hello everyone,

I recently asked a similar question to this about graphics cards, but now that I've learned a bit more about them, I'd like to ask something a bit more specific.

I'm currently looking at upgrading my GTX 960 graphics card and am wondering what exact specifications I should be looking at for rendering. I've been doing a lot of research on gpu.userbenchmark.com, but it's definitely geared toward the gaming experience, not rendering.

For example, gpu.userbenchmark.com lists a GPU's real-world speed, which seems to be the most important quality for playing resource-intensive video games. Does this speed directly relate to how fast a GPU is going to render scenes for me?

Another question I have is that I know more CUDA Cores is better, but is there a difference between generations in terms of CUDA Cores? For example, the 1080-Ti appears to have a much higher real-world speed than the RTX 3060 and has the same number of CUDA Cores: 3584. Does that mean that I would be better served buying a 1080-Ti than an RTX 3060?

EDIT: Another example is the RTX 2070 Super, which only has 2560 CUDA Cores compared to the 3060's 3584, but is much faster according to the benchmarks at gpu.userbenchmark.com. (Here's a link of the comparison for anyone interested: )

Last edited: