What tools to use

clong

Apr 15, 2018
hi im trying to start a little hobby creating RPG and im wondering what tools do I need to start? Should I have Unity? or RPG Maker(if so what is the best to use there's a bunch version of this there's VX MV etc. but i can't understand the difference between them).

Also what Programming Language should I be using? I know Java and C# have done creating a mobile game using both of this. Wil lbe looking forward for the reply #TIA

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
RPGM would be easier, but definitely consult this .

That said, I'd be much more likely to give a Unity game a try. I have been burned by RPGM enough that it won't even get a play without a recommendation.

C# for unity, I don't know what RPGM uses.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] RPG Maker(if so what is the best to use there's a bunch version of this there's VX MV etc. but i can't understand the difference between them).
Like there's a bunch of version of Unity. The difference is that Unity have number as version, and RPG Maker have name as version. I don't know for sure what is the latest version, but normally it should be the only one you can buy.

I don't know what RPGM uses.
I think that the latest versions use JavaScript for the coded part.

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
If you go for RPGM go for MV, it has both touch to move and click to move support as standard rather than the old wasd or arrow key options of earlier RPGM versions, making it a significant step up in user experience and audience potential(mobile devices).

As for RPGM vs Unity, don't use RPGM unless you intend to take advantage of things like the inherent support for a battle system that is usable out the box, (even better with plugins of course), in general Unity is the better platform IMO but it is going to be difficult to do what RPGM can do in terms of battles, maps, sprites and user interface in the same sort of time scale if you use Unity. Unity on the other hand allows you to build a totally different type of game and since you already have C# to a good standard the learning curve of Unity shouldn't be that much of a problem for you.

In short it depends on the type of game you want to make, if it's an RPG type game go for RPGM, otherwise go with Unity i think.

Reactions: clong

clong

Apr 15, 2018
If you go for RPGM go for MV, it has both touch to move and click to move support as standard rather than the old wasd or arrow key options of earlier RPGM versions, making it a significant step up in user experience and audience potential(mobile devices).

As for RPGM vs Unity, don't use RPGM unless you intend to take advantage of things like the inherent support for a battle system that is usable out the box, (even better with plugins of course), in general Unity is the better platform IMO but it is going to be difficult to do what RPGM can do in terms of battles, maps, sprites and user interface in the same sort of time scale if you use Unity. Unity on the other hand allows you to build a totally different type of game and since you already have C# to a good standard the learning curve of Unity shouldn't be that much of a problem for you.

In short it depends on the type of game you want to make, if it's an RPG type game go for RPGM, otherwise go with Unity i think.
wow thanks guess i'll give this RPGM a shot

Volta

Apr 27, 2017
wow thanks guess i'll give this RPGM a shot
Good to hear, a well implemented RPGM game is a joy to play, I personally like CTB (sadly no longer supported) over conventional turn-based (FF10 battle style over for example Dragon quest or older final fantasy round based systems), if you were interested in an abnormal system like this there are a hoard of plugins available that can allow you to pick and choose features for RPGM MV, i think they are all, or at least most are free use so go nuts, play around see what fits the style you're going for.

would be a good place to start most likely, not all plugins are technically supported anymore but i think it should do to start with.