What's a good amount of content for a first release?

Oct 13, 2016
Sorry if this is a little vague, but I'm curious what most people would consider a good first release for a game.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Depends on who you are and the type of game you are making.

For example, if (1) you are the game dev, and (2) you are making a game with specific mechanics, such as an rpg, you might want to release more of a tech demo first. just a few starting missions for example, nothing too deep.

If however, you are (1) a player, playing a game with a focus on (2) Story, you tend to want more content than just testing some art and programming techniques, if you can't complete a story with any one character, then instead usually just learning enough about several characters to understand their personality (and or what fetish each character panders towards) can work as a good start if any one story line can't be finished in the first release. Getting a good start understanding each character is a good way to get players initially rooted into your world.

I myself always try to make it so a player can at least complete something of interest, even if it is not part of the main story line. But you do you, you tend to get more followers with more completed games, but I also think that you get an even greater concentration of followers (although the collect slower) if your game is more specialized and niche, but that just the experience of one person talking.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
Saki sums it up pretty well to be honest so I haven't much more to add. But for what it's worth, with my recent release I was aiming for around an hour of content, perhaps more with replays.

Now that's always a tricky one to judge - especially when players can skip scenes of course. But given I'm getting the idea from feedback that it is being replayed as people go down different paths I've probably hit that mark.

Reactions: passerbyR34

passerbyR34

just wanted to passing by, end up staying anyway
Donor
Oct 29, 2018
I remember for discussing similar topic a few weeks ago , hope that helps a little
Wish u a good luck if u're planning for developing ur own game :D

Cohibozz

Aug 14, 2018
i'm almost ready for my first release of VN game. i think it's good for this a complete prologue. a good introduction ofcharacter and a first step of stats (10 point of 100 reachable).
i'm also putting some sexual scene (masturbation, peek random, night play) to make my game immediately interesting.

Reactions: passerbyR34