When should I start shopping an artist?

Eezergoode

Oct 31, 2017
So, I have started working on my first Visual Novel, at least the first meant for publication. I've determined that my artistic skills are sorely lacking, and since i work my REAL job too many hours a week, plus have a family to take care of, I doubt I'll be able to refine those skills in anything resembling any time in the near future.

This is my first serious game project in... well, close to 30 years, and the last REAL game I wrote and coded was on a Commodore 64. Quite a few years back, I made some VNs for my kids, using Ren'Py and assets I found on the internet, but never seriously developed a VN. I have also used Ren'Py to make some training materials/On Line Learning interactive training for a couple local companies, also several years back.

My real question, mostly to those who have worked on an established team, is this. If my financial situation means I will have to offer a share of potential revenue, instead of up-front payment, how much of the game should I have written and coded before I start seriously looking for a partner/artist?

I know it is too soon at this point, since I am only about 20,000 words in. Basically I have the intro, the prologue, and a small bit of chapter 1 (of 9 planned chapters). But realistically, how much of it should be done before I start looking?