Ren'Py Where am I? (Wip Title) [Development Thread]

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
Heya everyone,

After playing many games with incest, impregnation, and pregnancy here on this site. I have felt most left me hoping for more with them. I have been stirring around an idea in my mind of making a game for several months now not only to find that more for myself but because I think my idea is interesting enough too. It will be heavily inspired by Lilith's Throne, Strive, and Adam and Gaia. Ultimately the game is a power fantasy with mystery and science fiction set in a dystopian future city. I don't want to spoil the story so even some of the spoilers will be vague.

I am not gonna kid myself into thinking this project will be easy, quite the contrary, I know it will be extremely difficult. I have no coding or graphic design experience. I'm going to have to learn everything which is gonna take months or even years. I know that I want to use the Ren'py for the engine, Daz studio for the characters, (Though if I can't change the Generation Eight males and females to my liking I might make all things in Blender.) and Blender for the three dimensional environments for the characters. I am not sure of the limitations of any of the programs yet. The plans I have for this game are stupidly ambitious for a one man first timer with no experience. I don't mind putting one code in front of the other, to borrow a phrase. However long it takes is just however long it will take. It is a passion project.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I won't be putting this on Patreon for obvious reasons when I finish the first chapter, because I want to keep incest as a part of the story. Being American I despise all things censorship. I firmly believe all of us have a right to explore all things in fantasy. Any censorship hampers creativity and without creativity art is diminished. Without art society is stagnant. I am still debating whether I want to monetize this at all. If I do I know that Subscribestar would be the best bet. If I don't monetize it then F95 Zone will be it's only home. Thank you kindly for your time on reading this very long introduction of the game I want to make. Any and all pointers to help are welcome.

Last edited:

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
Huh, I can only say that you are very ambitious, especially if this is going to be your first game.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Tarock

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
Huh, I can only say that you are very ambitious, especially if this is going to be your first game.
Yep, It is no doubt ambitious. Got to start somewhere though. I would rather work on what i really want to do as my muse to improve my understanding than work on a small something that i don't want to do and lose that muse.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018

why is there an issue playing video?

I think what you want to try to do is use renpy, while sure, some would say it is easier, and it helps that it has a lot of the User interface systems already working for you, and it has a fair scripting system, the main reason I suggest renpy is you'll have a better chance at getting help with coding. What I mean by that is, at some point, you are going to want to introduce a new concept or mechanic to the game, that the engine doesn't initially support. for example, your charm mechanic, you'll have to add variables and functions to track and handle how things will work out with this mechanic. You'll basically have to figure this out from nothing. Renpy supports executing python scripts, which most users find the easiest language to start with (but it can be hard to learn other languages after python since it skips a lot of details and can give you some bad habits, pass by reference shenanigans). That is the majority of coding, identify what you want to do, break down what you want to do into manageable parts (this require programming experience and familiarity with transforming certain problems into code), and you basically have to write code from nothing.

this is true with unity as well, unity would be the 2nd suggestion I make, because there are lots of resources to learn how to code... but that is the issue. with unity and other engines, you need to learn how to code before you can effectively make the code you need for your personal project. Sure you can post your code on stack exchange, but I find that this often doesn't help new users because what users want to do is post their code, raw. However, it can make it hard for other users to try to help, and will often asked for a simplified version. And if you do provide a simplified version, other users will help explain the simplified version, but then with little to know coding experience it is hard to translate what you see in one example to you often much more complex and messy version of your code. It's like the teacher explaining a simple example problem, but then throws you into a real life situation.

however, I have found with this site, many users will be able to post their code, and some users will go far out of their way to rewrite the code 3 times ot try to see what works for you. so I suggest renpy simply because you may have a better time getting help with code on this site.

Last edited:

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019

why is there an issue playing video?

I think what you want to try to do is use renpy, while sure, some would say it is easier, and it helps that it has a lot of the User interface systems already working for you, and it has a fair scripting system, the main reason I suggest renpy is you'll have a better chance at getting help with coding. What I mean by that is, at some point, you are going to want to introduce a new concept or mechanic to the game, that the engine doesn't initially support. for example, your charm mechanic, you'll have to add variables and functions to track and handle how things will work out with this mechanic. You'll basically have to figure this out from nothing. Renpy supports executing python scripts, which most users find the easiest language to start with (but it can be hard to learn other languages after python since it skips a lot of details and can give you some bad habits, pass by reference shenanigans). That is the majority of coding, identify what you want to do, break down what you want to do into manageable parts (this require programming experience and familiarity with transforming certain problems into code), and you basically have to write code from nothing.

this is true with unity as well, unity would be the 2nd suggestion I make, because there are lots of resources to learn how to code... but that is the issue. with unity and other engines, you need to learn how to code before you can effectively make the code you need for your personal project. Sure you can post your code on stack exchange, but I find that this often doesn't help new users because what users want to do is post their code, raw. However, it can make it hard for other users to try to help, and will often asked for a simplified version. And if you do provide a simplified version, other users will help explain the simplified version, but then with little to know coding experience it is hard to translate what you see in one example to you often much more complex and messy version of your code. It's like the teacher explaining a simple example problem, but then throws you into a real life situation.

however, I have found with this site, many users will be able to post their code, and some users will go far out of their way to rewrite the code 3 times ot try to see what works for you. so I suggest renpy simply because you may have a better time getting help with code on this site.
Yeah, That is why i chose Ren'py. I knew it would be easier to learn. I did not realize there were people here who help with writing code. I thought i had to learn to do the coding myself which was why i gave the estimate it would take months or years to learn to code before even starting on the game.

Really, the Charm mechanic can't be binary with python scripts? I was thinking of making it a choice variable when ever an encounter happens but if i can't do that. Hmm I really don't mind learning to write it from nothing if that is what it takes. At the same time If there are people who want to help with coding who have an interest in the game i certainly wouldn't mind that kind of help either especially if it helps the development go faster.

I am currently learning to use Atom to make adjustments to the code with Ren'py. Still a lot to learn. heh.

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
UPDATE:

I just finished the main story for the (RCS path, Which is The Romantic and corrupter scientist.) with a storyboard for the first chapter. That helped me decide on four choices in total for the forming of the main character's personality which i am dubbing (RCS), (R), (C), and (S). I still have to write the story board for the (R, The Romantic), (C, The Corrupter) and (S, The Scientist) paths for people who want to play just those specific personalities.

I am making progress, once i finish all the paths in chapter one, I will go back to learning Atom and Daz and when i finally know enough of how to form the choices, the story will be easy to transfer to Ren'py with it fully written out. I am quite surprised i was able to write as much as i did already. I will probably be creating things from scratch in Daz, The City will be unlike anything that is available in Daz studio to buy. If i can't find what i am looking for maybe use some other render studios for the backgrounds and just use Daz for the characters. I know exactly how i want the city to be. Those are my plans for now. I will update when i finish writing the other paths.

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
UPDATE:

Finally finished the writing for the first chapter of all four personality paths for the main character. I am now gonna devote myself completely to learning atom and coding for Ren'py. I decided on blender for making the city for backgrounds and have already been learning things from that angle when not writing the story. I am pretty excited about this project and will be posting examples of the alley where the main character wakes up when i finish the test render. It is probably gonna be a while though before that happens. I want things to look just right because for me the atmosphere means a lot to the feeling of the game.

As far as character's go. I will be using modified gen eights with DAZ. If i can't get the character's to looks like i want. I might just just create everything from scratch with blender, meshes and all. I still have a lot of learning to do. It might be several months before i post an update again. Hopefully by then, if learning goes well i will have set renders for both the Alley and character appearances to give an idea. If y'all have any questions about the project let me know.

Jul 27, 2020
GOOD LUCK WITH PROJECT.I LIKE THE IDEA AND WOULD LIKE TO DO IT OR HELP BUT HAVE NOT DONE PROGRAMMING SINCE BASIC-A (YES THE STONE AGE CODE)

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
GOOD LUCK WITH PROJECT.I LIKE THE IDEA AND WOULD LIKE TO DO IT OR HELP BUT HAVE NOT DONE PROGRAMMING SINCE BASIC-A (YES THE STONE AGE CODE)
No worries. I am still learning myself. Honestly although i know it would go faster if i had help. I decided i wanted to create the game all by myself. I appreciate you wanting to help but i would prefer to create the game without any help. I hope you enjoy it though! It's still gonna be a while. :)

AdamJohn36

Feb 12, 2019
any up date one your progress?
Still learning both coding and blender so not much progress but i am doing my best. One step at a time. heh Chapter one has been written a long time ago. So, all i need to do is convert it to ryn'py once i finished learning coding and then i can start putting pictures to the words once i feel confident enough with blender.