Where do you guys get feedback / testers

Jan 25, 2018
Self-explanatory title. I'm making a free game that I hope to take in a Free Cities direction and I want to make it highly modifiable / expandable by others, but for that I need to know if the core system works for people. Where do you guys usually recruit testers?

Loqic

Royal Jelly
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I've heard about this site called ehh.. F95 or something, maybe you can try over there?

Reactions: mickydoo
Jan 25, 2018
Guess I'll use the recruitment section, based on the posts currently on there it didn't really look like the right place for it though.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Guess I'll use the recruitment section, based on the posts currently on there it didn't really look like the right place for it though.
recruitment, or an anonymous site where people are free to give honest opinions

this site isn't really geared for constructive criticism

Reactions: scrumbles

chronis

Aug 2, 2017
You can try lemmasoft for partners or fiverr for outsourcing a little bit of this and that.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Set up a discord, link it to your game when it's released. Be active in the discord, chat with people, share content, take feedback and don't get defensive about critique. That's where I'm getting my best responses, and so many testers and spelling checks.

Jan 25, 2018
Discord works great for my non-h programming projects and I even have a decent following there, which is exactly why I sort of was trying to avoid using it - it doesn't let you have multiple accounts logged in simultaneously and I don't want to leak my main discord ID. I might still go ahead with it and use the browser client, not sure.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Discord works great for my non-h programming projects and I even have a decent following there, which is exactly why I sort of was trying to avoid using it - it doesn't let you have multiple accounts logged in simultaneously and I don't want to leak my main discord ID. I might still go ahead with it and use the browser client, not sure.
Yeah, that's what I do as well, for exactly the same reason :)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Alright I guess that's what I'll do, soft launch the game somewhere and try to get some discord feedback. Cheers.
I actually had great luck with launching it here. But it does mean you risk spoiling your big splash, since this is by far the biggest community. You could try 'soft launching' in a development thread, that usually gets left alone from the bulk of users until it's promoted to the front screen.

Carpe Stultus

Engaged Member
Sep 30, 2018
Self-explanatory title. I'm making a free game that I hope to take in a Free Cities direction and I want to make it highly modifiable / expandable by others, but for that I need to know if the core system works for people. Where do you guys usually recruit testers?
Join some of the bigger discords that often pop up here on f95, use a different ID (preferably with your "dev" name) and ask people if they want to test your game. The smartest thing to do would be talking to them a bit before so you can be sure that you don't have the usual suspects as testers.