Ren'Py Where does a RenPy game save all of its files?

mcfeckin

May 8, 2022
Let's say that, for a bunch of reasons, I need to periodically wipe my computer clean of any traces of games I played.
Apart from the game folder itself, I know that RenPy saves each game's progress in %APPDATA%/RenPy/game_directory (by the way, I have all necessary privileges).
Are there any other folders or files created when playing a game? I understand that this may vary depending on the specific game.
Thank you in advance.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It saves only in two places: Appdata, and locally (Game's folder)

Penumbral Evanescence

|☽◯☾| Somnium of the Night ✧ Bête Noire
Donor
Jul 16, 2021
Let's say that, for a bunch of reasons, I need to periodically wipe my computer clean of any traces of games I played.
Apart from the game folder itself, I know that RenPy saves each game's progress in %APPDATA%/RenPy/game_directory (by the way, I have all necessary privileges).
Are there any other folders or files created when playing a game? I understand that this may vary depending on the specific game.
Thank you in advance.
Do you normally install Ren'PY games on Windows-specific devices? I assume that is the case because you brought up %APPDATA% in your question.

However, just for your reference moving forward if in the event that you have any Ren'PY games installed on another OS (e.g., MAC device), the file location name is different.

I.e., MAC Save File Directory should be the following IIRC:

~/Library/RenPy/game_directory

Just thought I would drop this note in case you may be playing Ren'PY games across various devices on different OS types.