where does someone start?

Mar 30, 2018
I've been playing several of these games for a while now and have resently came up with an idea for, what I think would be an interesting game/vn but I'm not sure where to begin. does anyone have any advise?

GuyFreely

May 2, 2018
I don't want to shit on your dreams, but I think you have to be really honest with yourself about your ability to make a game. I would say at a bare minimum you need halfway decent art, halfway decent writing, and the ability to put it together in some program to make it into a game/VN. Whether that means you yourself have these things or you can source them from other people. Finally, it takes time and commitment. So if you have (or can get) all of those things, I think you are on your way.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I don't want to shit on your dreams, but I think you have to be really honest with yourself about your ability to make a game.
I second that.
Since more or less one year it seem that too many people awake one day with an idea for a game, start the said game the next day and release the first update one week later... Before abandoning the whole thing after half a year because they, in fact, don't have the minimum needed to do such a thing.
It's depressing for the players, but I think that it's also depressing for the author. You can always learn something from a failure, but you need to overpass the said failure first.

Nottravis

Sci-fi Smutress
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 3, 2017
I've been playing several of these games for a while now and have resently came up with an idea for, what I think would be an interesting game/vn but I'm not sure where to begin. does anyone have any advise?
I was in a similar position to you. In fact, you're ahead of me as all I had was a single image in my head of the end of the story. So, although the guys here are right in what they say, don't also be discouraged.

All I can really do is say what I did, which may or may not be any help.

Firstly, map out the story/game you want to tell. It doesn't have to be all the dialogue but it does need plot beats and key points. This will allow you to see how long it will be, what art assets you need, what game engine works best.

Once you've narrowed down those choices play around with the engine and/or art software for a bit. Just see what it, and you, can do. Learn what you need for your game.

Then, and only then, would I suggest making the game itself. But even then you need to think about the characters in your game. What do they like, how do they react etc?

As a point of reference it took me about six months from that initial image to my first release. But I am a bit of a ditz. Your mileage may vary ;)

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
I was in a similar position to you. In fact, you're ahead of me as all I had was a single image in my head of the end of the story. So, although the guys here are right in what they say, don't also be discouraged.

All I can really do is say what I did, which may or may not be any help.

Firstly, map out the story/game you want to tell. It doesn't have to be all the dialogue but it does need plot beats and key points. This will allow you to see how long it will be, what art assets you need, what game engine works best.

Once you've narrowed down those choices play around with the engine and/or art software for a bit. Just see what it, and you, can do. Learn what you need for your game.

Then, and only then, would I suggest making the game itself. But even then you need to think about the characters in your game. What do they like, how do they react etc?

As a point of reference it took me about six months from that initial image to my first release. But I am a bit of a ditz. Your mileage may vary ;)
@PowerEncarnate listen to @Domiek and @Nottravis , they know what they are talking about. And they represent oposites spectrums when it comes to tropes

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
There's only thing I that can offer that's not already been said every time one of these threads pop up.

Make a short story first, 1 to 2 hours tops. There's so much to learn that's unique to each dev that you won't be aware of until you start making your first game. I've made that mistake myself and have had to spend a lot of time going back and redoing old content and redoing renders, code, and structure.

Reactions: Nottravis

Sumodeine

I killed Eric
Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
First advice: Be realistic. You aren't going to make a ton of money really quickly. As a matter of fact, if you are legitimately buying assets, you probably will lose money for the first few months.

Secondly, it will take a shit ton of time. Like take the amount of time you think you'll spend making it, and double it. Maybe even triple it. Do you have enough time to dedicate to making it?

Thirdly: You have to have thick skin. People are going to shit on what you just spent a lot of time and money creating. Even if you think it's great, it's impossible to please everyone, so don't try. You have to block out the negative and focus on the positive, while still trying to find constructive criticism on the forums.

Now if you've said yes to those three things, congratulations! You (hopefully) won't quick after before your third release!

As far as making the game, outline out what you want to have happen in the story. One idea is good, but is that enough to carry a game? Jot down your ideas and what you want to have happen to make your story develop.

If you're going the Daz/Renpy route, download both of them and watch tutorials. Look at other people's code and figure out how renpy works. Play around with Daz and learn how that works too. These are the backbones for the game. You can have the best storyline in the world, but if the visuals are awful and the code is broken, no one is going to want to play it.

Lastly, have fun and make sure you enjoy making it. If you don't like making a game and aren't passionate about your project will be doomed before you ever get started.

Good luck!!

Goblin Baily: DILF

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 29, 2017
First advice: Be realistic. You aren't going to make a ton of money really quickly. As a matter of fact, if you are legitimately buying assets, you probably will lose money for the first few months.

Secondly, it will take a shit ton of time. Like take the amount of time you think you'll spend making it, and double it. Maybe even triple it. Do you have enough time to dedicate to making it?

Thirdly: You have to have thick skin. People are going to shit on what you just spent a lot of time and money creating. Even if you think it's great, it's impossible to please everyone, so don't try. You have to block out the negative and focus on the positive, while still trying to find constructive criticism on the forums.

Now if you've said yes to those three things, congratulations! You (hopefully) won't quick after before your third release!

As far as making the game, outline out what you want to have happen in the story. One idea is good, but is that enough to carry a game? Jot down your ideas and what you want to have happen to make your story develop.

If you're going the Daz/Renpy route, download both of them and watch tutorials. Look at other people's code and figure out how renpy works. Play around with Daz and learn how that works too. These are the backbones for the game. You can have the best storyline in the world, but if the visuals are awful and the code is broken, no one is going to want to play it.

Lastly, have fun and make sure you enjoy making it. If you don't like making a game and aren't passionate about your project will be doomed before you ever get started.

Good luck!!
another skilled mod worth listening

Reactions: Sumodeine
Mar 30, 2018

Good luck!!
I really don't care about making money doing this. I just hope I can create something that people will enjoy. I went do collage for software design and art and graphics design. but never put those skills to work. I had, what I felt was an interesting and different idea for a story and have alway been good at creating stories so I thought I would put those skills and talents to practical use and try to develope the idea so others might enjoy it also.

I started this thread because software has progressed a bit in the last few years and my experience is a bit dated now. so I needed a signpost of sorts and some advice on a direction to aquire tools that I will need to get started lol

Mar 30, 2018
There's only thing I that can offer that's not already been said every time one of these threads pop up.

Make a short story first, 1 to 2 hours tops. There's so much to learn that's unique to each dev that you won't be aware of until you start making your first game. I've made that mistake myself and have had to spend a lot of time going back and redoing old content and redoing renders, code, and structure.
that's actually a good idea. perhaps a side story im the same world as my main story.

Creiz

Game Developer
Sep 18, 2018
Everyone here is giving you solid advice. If I may add some of my own:

Check everything you can do and need. Write it on a notepad or something. What can you do? You can draw, you can write, you need someone for music, you need someone for sound effects(well, someone, you can find those for free, but you get the idea).

Make a game. Complete it. But Don't release it. Go in blind. That will be your practice game. Get some kind of mind mapping software so you can map out your story. Follow the others advice, they're pretty good.

When you finish that one game, make another one. Complete it. Go back to your first one and replay it. Now that you have more experience, you'll find some huge, glaring flaws you made. Fix them. Do it again.

Apart from that, yeah, the other guys advice are pretty much the way to go.

Reactions: Nottravis

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I can't count how many games are just copies of another game.
Where someone took a game, and changed parts of it to make a new game.
If your game idea is similar to an existing game, you wouldn't be the first to just change some pictures and text, and win a developer of the week prize.

Mar 30, 2018
I can't count how many games are just copies of another game.
Where someone took a game, and changed parts of it to make a new game.
If your game idea is similar to an existing game, you wouldn't be the first to just change some pictures and text, and win a developer of the week prize.
my idea isnt like anything i have seen but i dont know rbery game out however