Where exactly do dragons and other non-humanoid creatures fall in the tag rules?

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
I've done some poking around in the tags and tag rules trying to answer this, because it's suddenly relevant to a game that just updated, specifically Carnal Instinct. Theoretically, the full range of tags that could even remotely be applied in cases like this are Bestiality, Furry, Monster, and Monster Girl. The definitions for each of those tags in the tag rules page are:
  • Bestiality [A sex act between a person and an animal. (Not monsters, aliens...).]
  • Furry [Anthropomorphic animal (Not to be confused with monster or humans with animal ears/tails).]
  • Monster [Any male sentient being that is not human, robot, animal, or furry. e.g trolls, orcs.]
  • Monster Girl [Any female sentient being that is not human, robot, animal, or furry. e.g trolls, orcs.]
Now that's all fine and well, and in the vast majority of cases on this site it's fairly easy to figure out which is which. However, there are some cases where it's a bit less clear, especially when dealing with non-humanoid creatures like dragons, sphinxes, and the like. Where is the line drawn on those? Do they get tagged monster and bestiality? Sometimes one and sometimes the other?

I went and poked around a few games to see how it was being applied in practice, and it seems inconsistent even after a quick check. For example, Ravager and Pokémon Ecchi Version have both the Bestiality and Monster tags. Ravager has an in-game bestiality setting, but I don't specifically remember any non-humanoids in the game aside from the player character and an eldritch tentacle thing. I could be wrong however, it's been a long time since I tried it. And the Pokémon one is, well. Pokémon.

On the other hand, Trials In Tainted Space allows the player to fuck (and have children with) a sentient ice dragon, yet isn't tagged Bestiality at all. It also features multiple -taurs, which also don't have a specifically clear home between Furry and Monster/Monster Girl. (However, in the case of TITS, it needs all three of those tags anyway so it's moot as an example of the tags in use.) As a side note about clarity with the aforementioned tags, aliens and robots are specifically excluded from bestiality and monster/monster girl respectively, but don't seem to have their own relevant tags either.

And thus my question winding up here.

Fzeren

Sep 25, 2020
Examples given for monsters were trolls and orcs, i.e. humanoids. A dragon is basically just a lizard with wings, so it would be bestiality.

Not sure what a sphinx would count as. Human face, animal body - reverse furry maybe?

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
For me the tag definitions of "Bestiality" and "Monster" are like a kind of scale. :unsure:
It depends on how much the creature looks and behaves like a normal animal.
That means that sex with a Growlithe could qualify as "Bestiality", but sex with a Charizard would qualify as "Monster".
Also, being sentient does matter too.

That's why I would tag dragons with "Monster".

Jan 21, 2021
i assume that dragons would fall under monster since theyre sentient beings with a fully animal body and that taurs would be furry since they usually have half human features and have half whatever-the-fuck features

TheInternetIsForThis

Mar 4, 2020
Examples given for monsters were trolls and orcs, i.e. humanoids. A dragon is basically just a lizard with wings, so it would be bestiality.

Not sure what a sphinx would count as. Human face, animal body - reverse furry maybe?
The monster tag specifically disclaims animals (and vice versa) which implies the examples are there due to being common rather than specifically to set a trend. And since bestiality specifically disclaims aliens (which are usually at least somewhat humanoid in fiction), that seems to imply being humanoid wasn't officially part of the consideration on that front.

Does that mean that if trials in tainted space were a fantasy setting rather than a scifi setting, it would be tagged bestiality? The dragon is very much a dragon, up to being named the Frostwyrm, but pretty much everything in the game is also some variety of alien due to being native to other planets in a space-based setting. Weird technicalities that really don't make much sense, no?
For me the tag definitions of "Bestiality" and "Monster" are like a kind of scale. :unsure:
It depends on how much the creature looks and behaves like a normal animal.
That means that sex with a Growlithe could qualify as "Bestiality", but sex with a Charizard would qualify as "Monster".
Also, being sentient does matter too.

That's why I would tag dragons with "Monster".
That makes sense, but also doesn't actually have any basis in the tag rules, unfortunately. I'm trying to figure out if this is a "leave it up to moderator judgement" gap in the rules, or if there actually is a specific home for them and I'm just blind.
i assume that dragons would fall under monster since theyre sentient beings with a fully animal body and that taurs would be furry since they usually have half human features and have half whatever-the-fuck features
I mean, yeah, that's pretty much in line with how many people would consider it. The problem here being that just judging by the rules and examples, figuring out where something lies in the tags is somewhat awkward. See the issue I mentioned above regarding the Frostwyrm from TiTS as an example.

FoolishSamurai

Jul 13, 2021
It does erk me out for when I'm looking for certain stuff and the tags aren't specific enough. Like, I into some psycho shit with girls getting fucked by bugs and non-humanoids and unique monsters.

When I search under "bestiality", it's dogs, horses, furry, and similarly mundane mammals. And when I search under "monster", I mostly get zombies, goblins, orcs, and other humanoids that don't offer anything actually different. "Monster girls" also end up being tossed under the "monster" tag and there ends up being only human males/partners. "Tentacles" is a little better, but that tag too is mostly slimes (the magic is a little lost when the creature is just a blob with no concrete body) and games with a single scene with a single tentacle.

Maybe a tag like "non-humanoid", "insectoid", or "monster male" can help?