Where & How to Start Making Stuff?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1162463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1162463

So after playing a few games I have ideas bouncing around my head for games of my own. I'm facing a "slight" problem though... I have no real idea of where to start on the technical side of things. I like the DAZ3D renders that games use and the engines I like renpy and RPG Maker.

How easy are they for a novice like myself to learn, I'm not particularly technically minded? Does anyone know of good tutorials? Or are their other things easier to use for beginners that you'd recommend?

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
So after playing a few games I have ideas bouncing around my head for games of my own. I'm facing a "slight" problem though... I have no real idea of where to start on the technical side of things. I like the DAZ3D renders that games use and the engines I like renpy and RPG Maker.

How easy are they for a novice like myself to learn, I'm not particularly technically minded? Does anyone know of good tutorials? Or are their other things easier to use for beginners that you'd recommend?
Depends on how low tech you want.

With Ren'Py, it mainly needs you to learn some python (hence the py in its name), a very limited set of it and is pretty intuitive (a newbie friendly language), mainly I would say the python site itself, or the ren'py forums, plus as always "steal" code. I know this sounds "bad" but in programming, if you see something you like you grab it dissect it and then make your own.

RPG Maker, it is pretty easy to use, has a lot of plugins to change things up you can find on their forums, biggest problems will probably be learning the scripting for events, it isn't too bad.

There are other "makers" like visual novel maker, something like a fire emblem maker, pixel game maker, tyrano, and of course HTML games. Find which interests you the most.

For Daz, youtube stuff, we have a forum part here you could ask for help, official forums, etc.

D

Deleted member 1162463

Thanks very much for the start points. I guess I'd best get to work :)

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Rpgmaker is probably the easier engine to learn. It has a ton of plug-ins for pretty much anything you want, and it's event creator requires the bar minimum of coding experience, since it works more as a pick and drop system than an actual coding platform.

To stand out of other rpgmaker games require a fair amount of work on art tough. Just using the basic pieces to build your world and maps is fine for trying it out, but in the long run you might wanna invest in creating new pieces, or completely switch to parallax mapping, where you use a picture as a map (it allowes for much more freedom as you can pretty much use any artstyle you want)

Reactions: Griff83
D

Deleted member 1162463

Thanks for all the guides, got plenty to read now. It's a hell of a long road but gotta start somewhere. I had a look at some Daz3D tutorials on youTube and a brief play around with it using the basic freebies. A bit easier than I expected and the fire I started only lasted ten minutes :LOL: