Which camera POV do you prefer ?

Erros

Aug 28, 2017
Hi,
I'm having trouble creating good pov for my game.
Before i've already parented a camera to the MC's head (right eye) without touching to the camera settings (other than setting the headlamp off).
But now i'm having trouble finding a good and believable pov. Because each time that i do a pov scene, it feels like le camera is really close to what i'm trying to show, while it's not the case.
So i did a few test. (i've stopped the rendering before they reach 100%)
This is the scene that i'm trying to make:

Here is what i've got by default with the unmodified pov: Here she is too close.

And here's is after modification with the same camera:

And there i changed the camera position more to the center of the head and lil' bit higher than the original position:

So which one do you think is the best ?

N1K17Y

Jun 12, 2017
1st is too close. 2nd pov looks the most realistic. the 3rd looks like she is standing in front of a camera, not a person.

Oiz

I am not Bloo, cause Bloo is a cunt
Modder
Donor
Aug 5, 2016
Second one.
No particular reason, just a gut feeling.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
I concur with the others. 1st one is too close and the third one is competing with the backgroud. On a side-note, a little more lighting on her front would look better, in my opinion.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Does it have to be 1st person pov?
Unless I'm controlling the 1st person pov camera in a 3d game I don't really see the point of it. Just make it cinematic 3rd person povs.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
My preference would be the 3rd person one, but another angle.

Of the 1st person shots, I like the second, but would move the angle a bit as to not cut the top of her head. The main focus of a close-up shot is the head, so cutting it is not good.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Ahh, the joy, doing these sort of shots can be a bit of a pain. I usually end up bending the head way back (in what would normally be a neck snapping pose) so that I put my camera there. If you are doing a 'look down' shot, where you want to see the chest and neck, well simply hiding the neck may result in you seeing the insides of the model...

BTW, in case you didn't know this (ignore this paragraph if you already knew about it), you can control the zoom on the camera (or perspective) by right clicking the magnifying glass instead of left clicking. This way, you can zoom in or out without having to move the camera. Use gently though, otherwise the 'fisheye' thing starts to become rather noticeable.

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
Maybe you should try like this:

- Position the camera a little higher (10 more?) Because your mc seems taller than her.
- A distance between the camera and the female figure of 80 (for people shaking hands)
- A focal of 50 (closer to human vision)
- And target the female character's mouth with the center of your camera. (because our vision is a little bigger down than up)

Erros

Aug 28, 2017
Hi.
So i did small adjustments following what you all said.

And there will be some scene taken in 3rd person view. it'll probably be 70% 1st view against 30% 3rd view.
But my game isn't out yet. When i'll release the first update there is high chance i'll change things depending on players opinion.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I like this POV, but it all depends what you are trying to tell us with the scene... Maybe introduce some DOF as this will focus on the girl and not the whole surrounding, BUT this depends on what you want to tell us....

If i may be so bold, your quote "i'll change things depending on players opinion" be careful with this as "players" will say what they want and if you read to much into it, then it can break you. Find the suggestions that you think will enhance your game and do not just try and please everyone. Always have fun with making the game, otherwise players opinions can be such a negative.

Just my thoughts on it as I still have to release my game.

Hi.
So i did small adjustments following what you all said.

And there will be some scene taken in 3rd person view. it'll probably be 70% 1st view against 30% 3rd view.
But my game isn't out yet. When i'll release the first update there is high chance i'll change things depending on players opinion.

Erros

Aug 28, 2017
I like this POV, but it all depends what you are trying to tell us with the scene... Maybe introduce some DOF as this will focus on the girl and not the whole surrounding, BUT this depends on what you want to tell us....

If i may be so bold, your quote "i'll change things depending on players opinion" be careful with this as "players" will say what they want and if you read to much into it, then it can break you. Find the suggestions that you think will enhance your game and do not just try and please everyone. Always have fun with making the game, otherwise players opinions can be such a negative.

Just my thoughts on it as I still have to release my game.
When i talk about modifications, i talk about changing lighting, camera pov, maybe haircut or even clothes.

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Just my 2 cents, but I don't think DoF works well with static images, instead I'd advise to use color and detail reduction in the BG. In this case, I think it's fine, the background is mostly composed of light tones, while the woman has more saturated or darker colors that contrast with the BG.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I remember reading a thread on the Daz forums about this, and they came to the conclusion that the "virtual camera sensor" was about 8cm (Daz cm) in front of the centre of the Camera object. Which is the main reason it looks too close when you parent the camera to the eyeball.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
As I am not sure who she is in the game or what the actual story is for the image, I just have a feeling you should give her smaller glasses and make her hair longer. That would up her sex appeal. For me at the moment she's just a chick at the work place the MC is meeting, unless that is exactly what you are going for, plain Jane but with loads of hungry desires and killer body...