Which card is better for Daz?

m5e39

May 1, 2017
Guy, I'm new in Daz, and I will make a new tower this month, to play some games , and work with daz, it will be an asrock b450, r5 2600, 16gb 3466 my video card will be an Rx 570 4 gb, but, idk if Nvidia cards r better for work with daz, if u can tell me, I'll be very grateful.

Philly_Games

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
You need to use a nvivdia card actually. The amd ones will just kick to cpu and you will be looking at render times upwards of days instead of minutes or hours. If you are on a heavy budget id suggest just grabbing a 1060 or 1070. This will at least allow you to practice.

Reactions: Domiek and Namco15

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
There's still quite a lot of used 1070s for relatively cheap. Highly recommend you get one of budget is tight because the difference between 4gb and 8gb is night and day. Your entire scene needs to fit on the GPU or else Daz will switch over to CPU rendering which is painfully slow.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I was looking around trying to find some GPU comparisons for Daz performance and couldn't really find any. However there are a decent number of comparisons out there for Blender and I suspect that Blender performance is going to be at least roughly similar for Nvidia cards.

I think for the most part there are 3 situations most people would be considering when deciding what card to buy for rendering. If they're looking for the best budget card then just buy the Nvidia card with the most memory you can afford. The performance doesn't matter. If you want the best consumer card for rendering but still want to game with it, then get the 2080Ti. If you're a pro and are rendering scenes for high def movies or something then get a Quadro. I suppose a non Nvidia card is also an option if you only render with apps that can use a non Nvidia GPU for rendering (so not Daz).

In my case, I'm ok with the performance of my low end card for modding. Vram (4GB) is my real issue. Some of my scenes I have to optimize pretty aggressively to get memory utilization down enough to render with the GPU.