Which game would you prefer?

Murble

Oct 2, 2018
I've been working on two games by myself, and it has been going really slowly since I'm just one guy. So, I've decided to focus on one then the other.
My question here is which would you prefer playing? Also, what art style would you prefer, anime or realistic or a mixture of the two (like a fortnite style)? If you also have any suggestions, I'll hear them.

The first game is a Reverse Dungeon Crawler where you build a dungeon and have AI invade it. Currently how it works is you purchase a premade cave system and inside it you build your own dungeon. In the dungeon you place down things to attract more adventurers, like treasure chests, and you place monsters to guard these attractions. The number of adventurers willing to go into your dungeon depends on the balance of treasure to monsters. You can also place prison cells to capture adventurers (which is where the fun part begins) but be careful since captured adventurers cause stronger adventurers to enter.
This game is nice since it will not need your active attention to play it, though I'm sure you can min-max things here.

The other game I've been working on is a Time Stop Voyeur game. Pretty much as it sounds, it's a game where you're in a city and you stop time and "look around". You also have a camera which can earn you money for some photos. Just remember when you stop time, it is only for a short range, so those outside its effect will spot you and report you, which can cause heavy fines placed against you. Money is important too since it allows you to upgrade your powers to add things like longer freeze times, larger effect radius, and even the ability to pose those you freeze.
This is a very simple game with complex mechanics. This will take the longest to finish and require the player to actually play to get the scenes they want.

Both games will be 3D, though the dungeon crawler will be top-down while the time stop will be first person. I've yet to do any art for them, since I suck and would rather hire someone. For programming I have about 30% of the dungeon crawler done and 20% of the time stop done.

hiya02

Oct 14, 2019
The dungeon building sounds more interesting of the two, and for the art I'd definitely prefer a realistic style compared to the unrealistic manga art.
That kind of constructing/management type games are much too rare, and every now and then it feels all there is just endless batches of simple KN/VN "games"...

Murble

Oct 2, 2018
every now and then it feels all there is just endless batches of simple KN/VN "games"...
I agree with you so much here. It's why I wanted to make a game. Well, that and I spent 11 years learning how to program even though I'm a business student in college. Might as well put my experience to some use.

But, I have seen a lot of management games, albeit them being text based or trainers. That's why I was thinking the dungeon one was a bit repetitive. But it should offer a bit more gameplay then the other management games.

As for the art style, when I say anime I mean more like Zelda Breath of the Wild. I plan on the guards you place to be monsters, like you would normally find in a dungeon. I don't know how hard it will be to make realistic monsters, or if everyone's PC could run realistic graphics. IDK, that is up to the art guy I eventually hire.

Last edited:

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
make both, when you are tired of work on 1, then switch to the other :p

Kinderalpha

Pleb
Donor
Dec 2, 2019
Your dungeon crawling idea has a solid hook and design behind it. I'd be all in on that project. You're gonna need a lot of time to perfect and unit test the AI so I think it's worth it. There's one game that comes to mind when I think of that design and it's "Goblin Burrow". Solid. Game.

If you're using Unity, you can hit me up and I'm willing to collab or help where I can. Love when original ideas outside the VN genre get posted and worked on. Keep it up!!

KiaAzad

Feb 27, 2019
Funny how I too have both of those ideas on back burner waiting for the right artist to come along.
I suggest going with the smaller one. Although, if it's your first game, I suggest starting with an even smaller game.

Reactions: DarkerThenBlack