Which Images are More Realistic?

• A

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • B

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
Thanks for the responses in the last round! These images have slightly more difference between them, but it's still subtle. I've included two on each render setting to make it easier.

Stack-2.png

Stack-1.png

Scaled down side by side:
side by side.png

Last edited:

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't say either one is more realistic.
This. Both look realistic enough as far as 3D goes, unless your audience pays a huge amount of attention to detail.

Please share your audience so I can get rid of petabytes of shitty 3D koikatsu/MMD/blender/illusion/etc assets in my live archives that are absolutely not worth preserving for historical purposes regardless of how long it took to slap together a bunch of ready-to-use assets vs that kind of... quite impressive situation. If you feel offended, by the way, this is supposed to be a compliment, so sorry if I'm doing it the wrong way and I apologize for this. :)

Oct 26, 2017
I secretly wish I had this level of attention to detail.

Vote cast for B as well as I ended up not voting. No coin toss was involved. ;)

Oct 26, 2017
Is this one of those spot the difference games?
It's the lighting and shading. I honestly can't spot the difference without repeated back-and-forth.

No actual asset difference, the assets themselves are the same.

Parmenion1405

Dec 27, 2017
in my opinion the 2nd one is more realistic due to smoother lighting especially in pic one the kitchen table. One thing I have problems to create myself so far

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I really like these renders but the lighting has some room for improvement that may help achieve a more realistic look you're after. It's hard to read what the intended light situation should be. The renders feel like they're intended to be lit mostly by natural light as it's brightest nearest to the window and the shadows cast on the interior are motivated by outside light. However the HDRI seems to be a bit gloomy and almost like overcast which doesn't match the lighting we see. This is most noticeable in the second render where the lighting pouring into the room looks like a gorgeous sunny day yet the HDRI appears to be a bit cold/gloomy. You can lower the strength of all lights except the HDRI, and pump up the strength/exposure to make it blow out a bit and this will help make the HDRI appear warmer.

1626561468436.png

Both renders also have strong light on the ceiling that I've circled. I'm unsure if this is from an invisible plane light to brighten up the interior more, or if it's actually scene motivated light. If you had added some ghost lights to increase the overall brightness, you may have more interesting results by simply increasing the overall exposure of the render, rather than adding additional lights.

I've done a similar render months ago and found that by adjusting exposure, you can control your overall brightness without interfering with the light dynamics already present in your render by introducing additional lights.

A & B variations are both very similar and I don't have an opinion on which one is more realistic. I do absolutely love the 2nd render in general, it's a chef's kiss experience for me.

Reactions: TacoHoleStory

TacoHoleStory

May 11, 2021
I really like these renders but the lighting has some room for improvement that may help achieve a more realistic look you're after. It's hard to read what the intended light situation should be. The renders feel like they're intended to be lit mostly by natural light as it's brightest nearest to the window and the shadows cast on the interior are motivated by outside light. However the HDRI seems to be a bit gloomy and almost like overcast which doesn't match the lighting we see. This is most noticeable in the second render where the lighting pouring into the room looks like a gorgeous sunny day yet the HDRI appears to be a bit cold/gloomy. You can lower the strength of all lights except the HDRI, and pump up the strength/exposure to make it blow out a bit and this will help make the HDRI appear warmer.

View attachment 1304217

Both renders also have strong light on the ceiling that I've circled. I'm unsure if this is from an invisible plane light to brighten up the interior more, or if it's actually scene motivated light. If you had added some ghost lights to increase the overall brightness, you may have more interesting results by simply increasing the overall exposure of the render, rather than adding additional lights.

I've done a similar render months ago and found that by adjusting exposure, you can control your overall brightness without interfering with the light dynamics already present in your render by introducing additional lights.

A & B variations are both very similar and I don't have an opinion on which one is more realistic. I do absolutely love the 2nd render in general, it's a chef's kiss experience for me.
I went into with these renders with the idea to find a way to only use HDRI to light a scene effectively. The first is the default settings with the HDRI around 10 intensity and the second is the same but with a ton of render settings tweaked. Ironically, I think the gloomy effect on the HDRI is coming from it being too bright, I can't see a way to change that without sacrificing something else.

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
I went into with these renders with the idea to find a way to only use HDRI to light a scene effectively. The first is the default settings with the HDRI around 10 intensity and the second is the same but with a ton of render settings tweaked. Ironically, I think the gloomy effect on the HDRI is coming from it being too bright, I can't see a way to change that without sacrificing something else.
That's likely a big contributor. Light intensity/power is meant to be adjusted in relation to other lights in your scene. Overall scene brightness is still controlled by the Exposure value. Idk if lowering intensity will solve the bright light shining directly on the ceiling or if it's a problem with the angle of the HDRI. Worst case scenario you can add a large plane just outside and below the window in order to block some of the light angling upwards from the HDRI. Maybe that will create interesting some more results.

Reactions: TacoHoleStory