Which one do you prefer? [Honey Select / Koikatsu]

LfkCn

Apr 20, 2023
Hello everyone. I hope I'm not posting in the wrong category. I want to develop a game and I'm trying to choose which tool to use. I have a few questions. I know there are posts comparing HS and Koi, but these are old posts from 2018 or 2019. A lot can change in a few years.

1- Which one's art do people like? It doesn't really matter to me, I like both. There seems to be more Koikatsu games from what I've observed.

2- Which one is better for game development? (mod support / usability)

3- If I prefer Koi, should I download Koikatsu Sunshine or Koikatu? What is the difference between them?

4- Illusion also has options like AI Shoujo and PlayHome. Would you recommend these instead of HS or Koi?

Lerd0

Conversation Conqueror
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
.....good luck with ur project.....have fun.....
1- Which one's art do people like? It doesn't really matter to me, I like both. There seems to be more Koikatsu games from what I've observed.
both is good....
koikatsu maybe.....
3- If I prefer Koi, should I download Koikatsu Sunshine or Koikatu? What is the difference between them?
...last i checked sunshine kinda sucked.....might be wrong tho.....
4- Illusion also has options like AI Shoujo and PlayHome. Would you recommend these instead of HS or Koi?
...no....

Living In A Lewd World

Jan 15, 2021
Hello everyone. I hope I'm not posting in the wrong category. I want to develop a game and I'm trying to choose which tool to use. I have a few questions. I know there are posts comparing HS and Koi, but these are old posts from 2018 or 2019. A lot can change in a few years.
I think, this is mostly a matter of taste, and you will find audiences for both. I'm not really a fan of 2D, so I personally prefer HS and HS2 graphics.
But as far, as I've seen, there are also many people who can't stand 3D and only like 2D.

I don't know about 2D, but for 3D Honey Select 2 is surely the best Illusion-Game regarding possibilities, usability and the availability of Mods.

You may best look at the Illusion Server for having an answer to this question. I only know, that Koikatsu Sunshine is the newer one, so it may have less problems and more possibilities than Koikatsu. I think, you will also find a lot of Mods for this. But this is pure guessing.

PlayHome is as far as I know basically Honey Select (1) with some good prefabricated BDSM-animations. The problem is, that it never got that much attention from the audience, and thus there are not that much Mods available for Playhome than for any of the Honey Selects, which makes game production much harder.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
I'd say use whatever you're skilled at using. :whistle::coffee:
If you suck at using all of those, does it really matter what you choose?
The result will still suck, after all. :ROFLMAO::coffee:

Noah Neim

Formerly 'Ogrexin'
Nov 25, 2020
Given the sheer amount of koikatsu games i've seen and how uttelry bland an unoriginal the models themselves are (not including character design itself) i'll just give it to HS due to my annoyance of this

Can't say im experienced in this, but there has to be a reason koikatsu games rule the renpy engine

I heard sunshine is supposed to be an improvement

Please dont

Logan1377

Feb 13, 2023
For a long time, I wasn't crazy about the Koikatsu games because almost all of them featured a MC who was very small, thin, and weak looking. As I understood, this was due to the software being created to only make female characters and not masculine ones. There was also an issue where a lot of the games that were made using this had female characters who all looked super young and innocent, even if they were supposed to be mature adults.

However, lately it seems that more and more devs are able to create a broader variety of characters within in the games, and specifically create male characters who are taller and more muscular, as well as women of all ages and shapes, and if the dev does a good job, I really like a few of those. One of the drawbacks seems to be that all of the women are still built as if they're very tall, with really long legs, and this make some sex positions look pretty akward.

As for Honey Select, I've always liked some of the games made that way, but again, some of the devs have become real masters with it of late, and make ones that are absolute masterpieces. To me, one of the great things about HS is that it seems like its much easier to create curvy, sexy women than in the Western engines, and have them involved in a wide range of hot sex scenes and positions.