Which PC?

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a new PC that would be good for using DAZ studio. I'm willing to spend up $1700 or even $2000 in case some really awesome deal. I got two examples that I'm currently looking at and I wonder which one is better?

1:

2:

Perhaps you guys have some other interesting deals better than those above, I'd be thankful if you'd share them with me. I want to buy a new desktop in 7 days, so I hope somebody will help me out with this. Which one should I choose or like I said earlier maybe you got a better deal for me?

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
8GB RAM seems too low, even for normal use. I have 8GB on my notebook and I saturate it just with open tabs in browsers.

Patan

May 28, 2017
Hi guys, I'm currently looking for a new PC that would be good for using DAZ studio. I'm willing to spend up $1700 or even $2000 in case some really awesome deal. I got two examples that I'm currently looking at and I wonder which one is better?

1:

2:

Perhaps you guys have some other interesting deals better than those above, I'd be thankful if you'd share them with me. I want to buy a new desktop in 7 days, so I hope somebody will help me out with this. Which one should I choose or like I said earlier maybe you got a better deal for me?
Go for the 1080ti one, yes the cpu is better at the other one but %90 of games you play will demand more gpu than cpu anyway. Also if you can, upgrade the 16gb ram, specially 3200mhz if you can afford it.
Also @Gunizz my old notebook also had 8gb ram but i never had that problem. You should check that out might be a problem with rams.

Gunizz

Aug 9, 2017
Go for the 1080ti one, yes the cpu is better at the other one but %90 of games you play will demand more gpu than cpu anyway. Also if you can, upgrade the 16gb ram, specially 3200mhz if you can afford it.
Also @Gunizz my old notebook also had 8gb ram but i never had that problem. You should check that out might be a problem with rams.
I use to have session with hundreds tabs and I never use a single browser alone. I cannot use Chrome because of that (apart from lack of features and horrible interface), it eats so much RAM with just few tabs opened.
If he needs also DAZ I suppose it will be memory hungry like Photoshop or Lightroom. He better ask for advice in a graphics forum.

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
No worries, I'm looking for 16 GB RAM [2x8GB as I heard, it's better than single].

I'm more convinced to this one:
But I was kind of hopping, that you guys might have something better in the same price [or about it].

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I'm guessing that you had some other options picked out in the Cyberpower PC configurator, that aren't embedded in the link. The goals I'd (still) recommend are 16 GB of memory (2x8, so you have empty ram slots for upgrading later), lots of storage (3 TB HDD plus say a 480 GB SSD, or even a 1 TB one if you can squeeze it into your budget), and a large power supply (say that 1000w in the Cyberpower PC configurator for an additional 8 dollars) to accomodate a second graphics card later.

As for the prebuilt one at Newegg, looks like a very nice deal, but the big question would be whether the motherboard has 2 PCIe 16 slots or 3... you want three (for later), but with the mobo 'grab bag' thing, you may not find out how many slots you end up with until after the purchase. Maybe Newegg CS could answer that question for you? The price point might still make it worth it either way though.

As for graphics, definitely shoot for 11 GB of VRAM if possible (unless you aren't doing the Iray thing), and don't settle for less than 8 GB of VRAM (1070/1080). I'm regularly struggling with 8 GB of VRAM (6.4 available after the Windows VRAM tax), but then I like to build slightly more complex scenes with multiple characters - I can manage 4-5 characters usually, if I economize a bit on assets.

It also might pay to wait for 3-4 weeks. The 2080 Tis from Nvidia are supposed to drop this month (around the 20th), and the leaks so far indicate a 35%-40% uplift in performance over the 1080 Ti. Of course, they'll be a bit more expensive, but the upside is that the remaining 1080 Tis should drop in price once the 2080 Tis hit the retail stream. So you might be able to get a sweet deal on a 1080 Ti if the 2080 Ti won't fit in your budget.

Another thought might be (if you go the configurator route) to put in the cheapest graphics card possible, and let the CPU integrated graphics drive your Daz viewport, then pick up a 2080 Ti when they finally drop. Or a pair of (now cheaper) 1080 Ti's... You could use the cheap graphics card to drive the viewport as well, if you keep it onboard. Just make sure to 'uncheck' the box for that card under the rendering options.

----

I'd also recommend looking very hard at Threadripper. the 60 PCIe lanes (other 4 used by chipset), plus the option to upgrade to a 7nm Threadripper in a year or so, yeah a TR build has some really nice upgradeability options for later. Unfortunately, finding a prebuilt system for less than $2000 could be a challenge, plus it'll probably be a bit low on memory and storage. The 16 Core Threadripper 2950x is receiving a number of good reviews right now.

The downside to TR is no integrated graphics, but you could stick in a cheap card in the 4th PCIe-16 slot for the viewport. To be honest, for regular browsing, the desktop screen lag while rendering isn't that significant, once the shaders have been compiled and the render starts crunching, UNLESS it's a CPU only render. My current system has the integrated Intel graphics locked out, which annoys me 'cuz they'd be great for the viewport, but I manage nonetheless.

The reason that the extra PCIe lanes are important is that Daz Studio loves multi-GPU Iray setups, so building a system with the option to upgrade to 4 GPUs eventually (x16/x16/x8/x8) is a nice way to go. Plus, being able to fall back on lots of CPU cores when you need to do a CPU only render due to scene complexity... yeah.

Also note that a 'dual node' 32 core 7nm Threadripper is a definite possibility, say a year from now. The 32 core Threadripper 2990WX has four 'nodes' which affects memory bandwidth a bit (they are still awesome for CPU rendering though), but at $1800, yeah pricey. If the upcoming (leaked) 16 core 7nm Ryzens become reality and are reasonably cheap, this could mean a cheaper 32 core Threadripper as well. Note that 64 core EPYC CPUs are also supposedly planned...

A dual socket EPYC workstation setup would be nice, especially with the 128 PCIe lanes/8 GPUs, but that won't fit your budget. Or most other people's...

As I just noted, the current info indicates that 7nm Ryzens I just mentioned (which should drop next year) could have up to 16 cores, although Ryzen only has 2 memory channels. Threadripper has 4... Note that the 7nm EPYC/server parts are supposedly on track to drop by the end of this year, which should give us a bit of a sneak peek r.e. 7nm Ryzen...

AMD has been stating for a while now that the 7nm parts will work in existing Ryzen (and EPYC) motherboards, which will be nice if you are looking to upgrade later.

Intel isn't standing still either, but there's not a lot of info yet about Intel's next gen processors. Yeah there's the 9700's, but those are mainly just improving upon existing processors. and the Intel HEDT processors are still rather pricey... And of course if you are looking to buy in the next four weeks, it won't matter anyways.

If you should ever decide to go the 3Delight, etc. route, i.e. a render engine that doesn't support GPU rendering, yeah more cores better, depending on clock speeds.

But enough about that. Just pointing out another way to go. Nothing wrong at all with a decent Intel setup.

Reactions: szakirari

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
@OhWee
I was hoping for your response, the old thread died, so I created a new one just to check other people opinions as well.
Basically you intrigued me with that idea of waiting 3/4 weeks for the 2080 drop, but I ask myself how much will the 1080 Ti go down on a price that time? Will it be more than a $100 down? PS the price on newegg went extra $150 down from the last time I posted it, so now I'm even more convinced than before. Still I remain questioning the idea of getting the best GPU available on the market, while I still just want to try out the DAZ Studio. The 1080 ti fits in my budget, though. So that's why I'm willing to go with it. It's already a huge update since we first talked about it [I don't know if you remember, but at the very beginning we were talking about getting the 1070]. So now I'm looking for 1080 Ti, the newegg offer seems as a good deal [or not? You were the one who showed me that at first] but now as I'm thinking about it, the power supply is only 600W, will it be enough for start? And about the PCIe slots, what is it exactly for?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@OhWee
I was hoping for your response, the old thread died, so I created a new one just to check other people opinions as well.
Basically you intrigued me with that idea of waiting 3/4 weeks for the 2080 drop, but I ask myself how much will the 1080 Ti go down on a price that time? Will it be more than a $100 down? PS the price on newegg went extra $150 down from the last time I posted it, so now I'm even more convinced than before. Still I remain questioning the idea of getting the best GPU available on the market, while I still just want to try out the DAZ Studio. The 1080 ti fits in my budget, though. So that's why I'm willing to go with it. It's already a huge update since we first talked about it [I don't know if you remember, but at the very beginning we were talking about getting the 1070]. So now I'm looking for 1080 Ti, the newegg offer seems as a good deal [or not? You were the one who showed me that at first] but now as I'm thinking about it, the power supply is only 600W, will it be enough for start? And about the PCIe slots, what is it exactly for?
I didn't realize that the other thread had been killed.

I'll keep this short.
R.E. potential GTX 10xx series (1080 Ti) price drops: I'm speculating that there maybe as much as $100 or so price drop, but you'll need to weigh that against other factors, like a sale price on a system...

R.E. the Newegg price: That does look like a pretty sweet deal, and you can always upgrade the other stuff later, if you are planning on an ongoing budget for upgrades later on.

As for that Newegg deal, it's likely that you may see a similarly good deal down the road, but you never really know about such things... Not sure how much the impending 2080 Ti release might affect the price on that deal. It might go lower, but 29% off is already pretty sweet.

The 600w power supply should be sufficient for one graphics card, but you'll need to think about upgrading it later should you decide you like this hobby and want to add more graphics cards later.

As for the Cyberpower PC configurator, it looks like the sweet back to school discounts on a few things are gone now, so with the 1080Ti that appears to be pushing the price over $2000... even if trying to build the same system as what Newegg is selling.

Just a note: I said before, for rendering, running a PCIe x16 slot at x8 (when using multiple cards) has a pretty tiny drop in overall performance (say 2-3%), which is massivley offset by the benefit of having having multiple cards essentially dropping your render times by 2x, 3x, etc... The benefit of more than 3-4 cards is negligable though. Some would argue that more than 3 isn't worth the added expense... But you can always put off buying extra graphics cards until later, once you've decided if this Daz rendering thing is for you.

The 1080 Ti is a very respectable card for gaming, etc., so you won't regret it either way if you do a lot of gaming with the latest titles.

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
Unfortunately, I'm not an gaming type of guy, I'm just to old for that shit. So PCIe stands up for extra GPU slots, correct? I think I might purchase newegg PC's. What do you think about power supply in that one?

PS of course if I'll find the DAZ Studio as a valuable tool than it's more than likely that I'll buy an additional stuff to PC.
PS2 Perhaps, it's never bad to ask, you might've found something better in suitable price?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
As I said before, I'm guessing the 600 W should be fine for now. Newegg has an awesome return policy, should there be a major issue (such as an inadequate power supply causing crashes, etc. for example). And power supplies are fairly easy to upgrade later.

But you were asking for other options:
Just for fun, I took a stab at a 16 core 1950x Threadripper build, using a cheap graphics card (1050) as a placeholder with the thought being that you could add a 1080 Ti later if you catch one on sale for a killer price.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

The Asrock Taichi in the above is a recommended board (people generally like it). The memory is 4x4, but Threadripper has 4 memory channels so this makes sense. There are four additional empty memory slots if you wanted to double up your ram later.

This ram would be a little better:
RAM / System Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR4/3200MHz Quad Channel Memory (Performance Memory by Major Brands)
but would cost about $45 more. 3200MHz is a nice sweet spot for Ryzen and Threadripper. DDR4 3000 isn't too far off though...

Note that I went with the 512 GB SSD + 3 TB HDD. You could pinch a few pennies here and go with smaller drives, but extra space is always good!

This Threadripper build would put you over budget though, if you account for the 1080 Ti that you'd eventually be buying (only a 2 GB card included in the build)...

The 2 GB card is mainly just a placeholder, and something to drive the viewport while the 'big' card is used for rendering. Another $648 could get you a 1080 Ti via the configurator, but I'm thinking you may be able to find a 1080 Ti for less than that soon...

BTW, I threw together a similar build on iBuypowerPC, for $1703, with a 4 GB card and 2x8 DDR4 3000 (4x4 is the same price btw)

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
So it's still 600$ more than this newegg deal... Hmm... So I'll probably go with this:

Thank you so much for you time and help. I really appreciate it!

szakirari

Aug 3, 2017
BTW Is there a big difference between those two?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
BTW Is there a big difference between those two?

It looks like it's simply a different case design. The motherboard might be different too, but since they aren't saying which mobo is in it, hard to know. Might have a different keyboard, etc. but I didn't check.