Which way for 2d animation?

pasamer

Apr 23, 2020
Well, Hi everyone!

I want to make 2d animations for adult games but I'm a bit confused. Some people say you have to draw frame by frame. But I watch something today somebody was doing animation on blender with grease pencil tool(don't exactly know what is it) so I wanted to ask you about that.. If I want to create 2d animations for adult games like summertime saga which path I should follow? I mean summertime saga animations were looking good that's why I gave that example. Also if there is no way to animate besides drawing frame by frame there is a technique for this? If someone with experience helps me I would be so happy..

RoboticRevolt

Feb 4, 2020
You could use motion tweens, and mesh deforms, or frame by frame. Tweens are nice because you don't need to draw out every frame, the in between frames of the motion are calculated, but frame by frame animation is sometimes necessary depending on the movement.

Almost all the good programs for animation are going to cost you a bit, Blender grease pencil is free, and maybe OK if you used to working in blender already for 3d animations. It's fairly newish compared to Adobe animate, and not as 2d focused as programs like Spine.

pasamer

Apr 23, 2020
You could use motion tweens, and mesh deforms, or frame by frame. Tweens are nice because you don't need to draw out every frame, the in between frames of the motion are calculated, but frame by frame animation is sometimes necessary depending on the movement.

Almost all the good programs for animation are going to cost you a bit, Blender grease pencil is free, and maybe OK if you used to working in blender already for 3d animations. It's fairly newish compared to Adobe animate, and not as 2d focused as programs like Spine.
Well, I'm sure you already know but adult sex animations generally are loop animations. Yes you can add rig and animate but I don't think I can get bounce and jiggly motion on breast or butt so that makes me confused.. I dont think I can afford adobe. I draw on krita but it doesn't have features like rigging its only frame by frame I think. Thanks for answer I hope someone explain more and makes my mind clear about breast and but motions that I can achieve on some software. Also is it same with mesh deforms? I mean basically moving body(but breasth) is mesh deform..So any software with mesh deform could be useful maybe.

(Sorry Im not native English speaker)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Well, I'm sure you already know but adult sex animations generally are loop animations. Yes you can add rig and animate but I don't think I can get bounce and jiggly motion on breast or butt so that makes me confused.. I dont think I can afford adobe. I draw on krita but it doesn't have features like rigging its only frame by frame I think. Thanks for answer I hope someone explain more and makes my mind clear about breast and but motions that I can achieve on some software. Also is it same with mesh deforms? I mean basically moving body(but breasth) is mesh deform..So any software with mesh deform could be useful maybe.

(Sorry Im not native English speaker)
Yeah, anything that can do mesh deformation can do wriggles and bounces.
doggy_normal.gif
(This is a spine animation from Paradise Lust)

Setting it up looks similar to this:
1613375730555.png

Reactions: sarzen

DingoDeer

New World Paradise
Uploader
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 19, 2018
if you ask me, I will say 15 frame by frame per sex scene for animation is the magnum opus of every sex scene in 2d.
but again mesh deformation or tween is also a good technique for this one, but hey...
as a weeb and cartoon enjoyer frame by frame is a way to go.

quarzo

Aug 25, 2017
you can make too 2d skeletal animations. using spine2d or dragonbones

lobotomist

Sep 4, 2017
First of all there's no reason why you can't combine both workflows.
skeletal animations usually have slots wich house several variations of the same body part. If you watch modern cartoons you will notice that the mouth doesn't really move but instead is made of several static images that switch in place, while the body is more of an skeletal mesh.

I recommend 3 possible free softwares for 2d animation:

1.- opentoonz/tahoma: opentoonz is the software that was used internally by studio ghibli. They released it free and open source, then some people started modifying the code to make it better and/or more similar to commercial drawing software. Of these versions tahoma is considered the best.

2.- Dragonbones: this one is similar to spine that was shown earlier. Overall is worst than opentoonz but has the huge advantage of being able to export animations to most game engines (no ren'py, but it shouldn't be that hard to convince some of the ren'py gurus in the forum to port it). Having the actual animation as oposed to an image sequence could help make more interactive or variating scenes.

3.- Unity 2D skeletal animation: this is my tool of choice (or will be if I ever make a 2d game) this tool is similar to spine and dragonbones. but has the advantages of unitys game features. like soft body and masks and 3D.
So when in other tools you would have to animate hair or boobs frame by frame. In unity you can just add soft body physics and let the engine do it.
As for mask look tutorials for eye rigging using grease pencil or with mates in opentoonz, the same thing should be achievable in unity.
Also while tools like spine have tools to fake 3D, unity is 3D so you can just rotate on 3D to achieve those perspective looks.

golrim

Aug 17, 2020
Godot has a 2d Mesh animation using bones, but it's a new feature that wasn't really focused on so it's difficult to use and to get to work compared to spine that mainly focuses on this type of animation.

Reactions: RoboticRevolt