Who can help me with this writing prompt?

bluewolfzer

Jun 18, 2022
I was tasked to design and write an all female five person group trope based in college. As of right now, each of the characters that I've made has their own personality trait, those being the smart girl, the mean girl, the shy girl, the cool girl, and the funny girl. I've also set them in different social cliques such as preps, populars, goths, nerds and jocks.

That said, I was also asked an additional prompt which was to add the "sixth ranger trope" in the group. This is where I'm having trouble since I don't know or can't think of a concept for this character. Any suggestions on what this sixth member's personality and social clique should be based on the given parameters I have?

Hagatagar

Oct 11, 2019
I was tasked to design and write
:unsure:
Imagine an interior designer stepping out of a house onto the street and asks if you could help him arrange a sixth room.
Dude, that's YOUR job!

As of right now, each of the characters that I've made has their own personality trait, those being the smart girl, the mean girl, the shy girl, the cool girl, and the funny girl.
Them having only a single trait makes them sound very one-dimensional.

And even with these very simlified characteristics, it is possible to do more than one girl of each trait.
E.g. A smart girl can be books smart, nerdy or street smart and a mean girl can be an open jerk, a secret sadist or a deceitful bitch.

This alone gives you various possible personalities to work with, which can lead to very different characters.

Gabaw

Jun 23, 2017
Make it a murder mystery. Your 6th member is can be a hawk eyed detective with social anxiety.
I like it.

The 6th person is a figment of the shy girl's imagination, and part of the reason she's shy is because others caught her talking to "herself" and it made her self-conscious. But actually the 6th person is real, they're just dead because they're a ghost because the funny girl killed her because the mean girl made her do it and the smart girl is slowly figuring it out and the cool girl is the Police Chief's daughter who is now the difference between a solved murder or the killer getting away with it.

bluewolfzer

Jun 18, 2022
Imagine an interior designer stepping out of a house onto the street and asks if you could help him arrange a sixth room.
Dude, that's YOUR job!
Ah, clarifications, the last prompt was also optional.

Them having only a single trait makes them sound very one-dimensional.

And even with these very simlified characteristics, it is possible to do more than one girl of each trait.
E.g. A smart girl can be books smart, nerdy or street smart and a mean girl can be an open jerk, a secret sadist or a deceitful bitch.

This alone gives you various possible personalities to work with, which can lead to very different characters.
I'm well aware it appears one dimensional and characters can have more than one trait. However, just to clarify to the rest and others, I've already written other characteristics, flaws, traits and quirks for these characters. I'm just not mentioning it in this post since one it's way too long if I included everything here and second, I'm aiming for "you can easily categorize the character into a specific trope" then jump off that point with more unique and nuance changes in said trope. Plus, don't wanna share my ideas with anyone else so there's that. The following are just parameters, not the sum of the whole. :)

bluewolfzer

Jun 18, 2022
Make it a murder mystery. Your 6th member is can be a hawk eyed detective with social anxiety.
As much as I like this concept, I'm trying to stay away from a murder mystery story arc haha. Although the hawk eyed detective with social anxiety could be an interesting characteristic to play around with.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Ah, clarifications, the last prompt was also optional.
What make it suddenly fall totally outside of your job range...

[...] I'm aiming for "you can easily categorize the character into a specific trope" [...]
Not really sure that "probably boring personalities" is really better than "clearly one dimensional personalities".

Plus, don't wanna share my ideas with anyone else so there's that.
Yet expect "anyone else" to share their ideas with you...

But anyway, it's not how it should works.
Whatever how thin is the story, characters' personality should match it and the role the said characters will play in it ; you'll not put a psychotic killer as romancable character in a college sim date by example. It's by developing the story in your head, or on paper, that you find what personality each character have. It's them that tell it to you, by the way they insert themselves into the story, not you that force them to fit a given mold.

Edit: Love you too bluewolfzer XOXO

Last edited: