who's it happening to

bigbossbravo6

Sep 21, 2017
Something I've found frustrating, is that by looking at games, it's hard to tell what's happening to who? Idk about y'all but I think it'd be helpful to know if the game is about say male humiliation or female. Is our protagonist getting humiliated, or are we the ones who are going to humiliate someone else? I might just be stupid here, but I look at some games, and I have no idea who the humiliated party is going to be. I'm just using humiliated as an example, it could apply to many things, e.g cuckold is my main character getting cuckolded, or ar we cuckolding someone else?

Ultralazuli

Jul 8, 2018
In the case of cuckolding, there's netorare and netori. From my understanding, the former is being cuckolded, while the latter is doing it to someone else.
Apart from that, it can be a bit of a crapshoot sometimes when dealing with the specifics of perspective, even IN the games. However, since most protagonists are male, in those games, you can probably safely assume that if a male is being humiliated, it's probably you, or has the potential to be you or another male.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
I see your point, but the problem is that the tags will grow to be highly specific and the amount of tags required will explode. You have to keep in mind that developers are expected to include any tag relevant to their game.

Imagine a game like big brother. This game currently has 21 tags: 3dcg, anal, sex, bdsm, blackmail, corruption, drugs, female, domination, footjob, handjob, incest, lesbian, male domination, male protagonist, masturbation, milf, ntr, oral sex, romance, spanking, vaginal sex, voyeurism.

If we apply your idea, the tags would look something like this: 3dcg, anal (by player), sex (with player), sex (without player), bdsm (by player), bdsm (against player), blackmail (by player), blackmail (against player), corruption (by player), corruption (against player), drugs (to player), drugs (by player), female domination (against player), female domination (to others), footjob (to player), handjob (to player), incest (sister+sister), incest (brother+sister), incest (mother+son), incest (nephew+aunt), incest (aunt+niece), lesbian, male domination (by player), male protagonist, masturbation (by player), masturbation (by others), milf, ntr (by player), ntr (against player), oral sex (by player), oral sex (to player), romance, spanking (by player), spanking (against player), vaginal sex (with player), vaginal sex (without player), voyeurism (by player), voyeurism (by others).

These are the original tags, just changed to match what you are describing, to the best of my abilities, from what I recall from playing the game. You see the massive increase in tags? Nobody wants to read through all of that. Also, try to imagine the poor dev, who will have to remember every possible scenario his game offers, and watch half his game page occupied by tags.

I understand where you are coming from, but it is not realistic to practically incorperate it into the system.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I see your point, but the problem is that the tags will grow to be highly specific and the amount of tags required will explode.
I agree, but in the same time I agree with OP.
Take @DarthSeduction 's The Things We Do For Love, by example. It's tagged as "gay" and "rape" because of a single scene during the introduction. As it feel playing it, it will be the sole "gay" and "rape" content of the whole game. It's the limitation of tags, and I'm completely fine with this. But sometimes it feel a little too limited.
Take the "futa" tag by example. By itself it's enough for a player to know that there will be content that he'll dislike. But it's not enough to know that you'll effectively like the game. I recently played a game (not from here) because it was supposed to have futa content. Well, it had, but at no time the futa characters had sexual interactions with the player and it was a real loose of time.

Imagine a game like big brother. This game currently has 21 tags: [...]
If we apply your idea, the tags would look something like this: 3dcg, anal (by player), sex (with player), sex (without player), [...]
Gently said, your example is more ridiculous that anything else. There's no need to go as far as your "sex (with player), sex (without player)" and it's not what OP is talking about.
If tags should be added, it's just few of them like, by example : "female domination involving player", "male domination involving player", "BDSM involving player", "Futa involving player".
There's no real need for more because they are the only situations that can effectively deceive a player. For any other case, like voyeurism or water play, whatever if it explicitly happen to the player, the content is enough to fulfill the kink. But there's nothing more deceiving that playing a game because it have "male protagonist" and "female domination" as tag, and reach the end of the game without a single femdom scene involving the player. That's what the player wanted to see if he choose the game because of these two tags...

Now, I don't say that those tags are really needed. But there should have a way to know if, for these few particular cases, the player will be involved or not. Perhaps as part of the "in OP" tags section and not as part of the effective tags of the thread. Personally I don't care how, as long as I don't lost my time because the tags promised me a pleasure that I didn't had in the end.

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
I agree, but in the same time I agree with OP.
Take @DarthSeduction 's The Things We Do For Love, by example. It's tagged as "gay" and "rape" because of a single scene during the introduction. As it feel playing it, it will be the sole "gay" and "rape" content of the whole game. It's the limitation of tags, and I'm completely fine with this. But sometimes it feel a little too limited.
Take the "futa" tag by example. By itself it's enough for a player to know that there will be content that he'll dislike. But it's not enough to know that you'll effectively like the game. I recently played a game (not from here) because it was supposed to have futa content. Well, it had, but at no time the futa characters had sexual interactions with the player and it was a real loose of time.

Gently said, your example is more ridiculous that anything else. There's no need to go as far as your "sex (with player), sex (without player)" and it's not what OP is talking about.
If tags should be added, it's just few of them like, by example : "female domination involving player", "male domination involving player", "BDSM involving player", "Futa involving player".
There's no real need for more because they are the only situations that can effectively deceive a player. For any other case, like voyeurism or water play, whatever if it explicitly happen to the player, the content is enough to fulfill the kink. But there's nothing more deceiving that playing a game because it have "male protagonist" and "female domination" as tag, and reach the end of the game without a single femdom scene involving the player. That's what the player wanted to see if he choose the game because of these two tags...

Now, I don't say that those tags are really needed. But there should have a way to know if, for these few particular cases, the player will be involved or not. Perhaps as part of the "in OP" tags section and not as part of the effective tags of the thread. Personally I don't care how, as long as I don't lost my time because the tags promised me a pleasure that I didn't had in the end.
Well, i agree on a lot of the things you are saying, and if nothing else, it does show that the tag system is far from perfect. I agree that that my example is blown up, but that was kinda the point with it. OP did request to know exactly what fetish involves the player and in which way (at least that is how I understood it), which is what I tried (and perhaps failed, I am not perfect in any way) to show is really hard to do.
Now, the tagging system does need a rework, I agree on that. I just don't think it will be easy to make a system that does what OP is asking for, without making it a hassle for everyone, including players and developers.

Reactions: Namco15

Agent HK47

Mar 3, 2018
We've become so spoiled, got to have every single little thing marked, filtered, packed, sorted and explained.
Next thing we know, the left will be invading F95zone. I can just picture it before me: "Hey, every game on this site has at least 1 thing I don't personally enjoy. Therefore, I hereby demand that every game is deleted from the site, and that the devs make new games, specifcally for me.
Also, this has given me emotional trauma, and I am suing the site!"

Oh, that shall be a glorious time! :eek:

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Well there is a problem with tags I only realized after I posted my game. In the game is one rape scene, also in the intro and it's only there for story reasons and not even visualized (black screen, text only), but of course I had to use the rape tag because of it. That's actually okay on my end.
If it'd be in the OP only, but it's also under the search tags and that's something I see as a problem.
If someone is searching for rape games, he will find my game and get the wrong idea.
If someone doesn't like rape games and excludes rape in his search, he won't find my game, even if it's actually far away from being a rape game.
Some differenciation would be nice.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
This can be solved by better descriptions or a FAQ section in the OP. Maybe for a more controversial fetish like NTR an "NTR-Avoidable" tag would be useful, but you cant do that for all the tags IMO. Would become too complicated.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
This can be solved by better descriptions or a FAQ section in the OP.
Of course, but you see these tags above the first post in games threads? These are the search tags and that's what many people look at before they read the description (if they care to read it) and decide to try the game or leave.

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I see the tags as being more useful for deciding what you DON'T want to play rather than what you do. Although it will prompt me to at least look at the web page for the game if it has a lot of tags for things I like. IMO the game's web page (screenshots, descriptions, etc) give a better indication of what the focus of the game really is.

There are certain things that I just don't want to see even if it's only in 1 scene so tags for those types of scenes are basically dealbreakers for me. So for example if it has the gay tag then nothing else matters, I won't be playing it. The flip side of that is not true for me. For instance, MFF tends to be one of my favorite type of scenes but so that will make me more likely to take a look at the game's webpage, but only if it doesn't have any of my "dealbreaker" tags. Most of the things I'm not into I'm more indifferent to as long as that's not really the focus of the game. For instance anything involving feet doesn't do anything for me but I don't really mind if it's in there as long as it's not the focus of most scenes.

freedom.call

Donor
Mar 8, 2018
Of course, but you see these tags above the first post in games threads? These are the search tags and that's what many people look at before they read the description (if they care to read it) and decide to try the game or leave.
It's a difficult one imo, any modification would kinda take away from the fact. On the other hand it's a pivotal moment in a life and I assume to the person/story. I don't know how that can be properly handled in a different way.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
It's a difficult one imo, any modification would kinda take away from the fact. On the other hand it's a pivotal moment in a life and I assume to the person/story. I don't know how that can be properly handled in a different way.
Yeah I know what you mean. Maybe it would be enough to divide into fetish or not fetish.

Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
that can be fixed with tags like M/F, F/F, F/M, M/M

Mangananga

Jun 14, 2018
Just have tag that says Mdf (Male dominates female) Fdm (Female dominates male) Mdm(Male dominates male) and Fdf (Female dominates female). It is really a confusing distinction, or keep the femdom on female domination and the male dom on male domination, cause when you criss cross it, you advertise to the wrong crowds, and then you'll get complaints, it should not be that hard

Reactions: bigbossbravo6