Why all these "BaDIK wannabe" stories are... so bad?

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Well, guys. Just started another brand new Freshman starts university + goes living in a dorm and so on... man.

Why in the world all these BaDIK clones are so dull and vapid?

Each and every one of them. Without any exception.

Why is it? any ideas?

hysepReC

Feb 16, 2022
They're no worse than "MC returns home to bang his mother and sisters" stories. It's actually a bit sad that nobody can make a college themed VN without it immediately being labelled a "BaDik clone".

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
Being amateurish doesn't mean being crappy.
Very true, evidenced by the fact that there are some good games here.

But it remains true that most devs here are making games for the first time. Some people have absolutely no skills before starting and some may already be budding artists or programmers but have little skill putting everything together. So it should be no surprise when there are a number of bad games. Wether they're cloneso f something else or not.

HarveyD

Oct 15, 2017
There are many examples in literature of amateur writers creating great works.
It would seem that along with amateur writers, we've also got a lot of amateur readers here. I never said it was impossible for an amateur to create good work, simply that it is the most likely reason for poorer quality on average.

VMiller

Mar 7, 2023
It would seem that along with amateur writers, we've also got a lot of amateur readers here. I never said it was impossible for an amateur to create good work, simply that it is the most likely reason for poorer quality on average.
I read a lot of the works on Literotica. It's all written by amateurs and without making any money. But the quality of the texts there is many times better, although the subject matter is the same - sex, sex, sex.
The reason for the clones is the usual human greed, they want to make money with minimal effort.

Reactions: Ottoeight

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Very true, evidenced by the fact that there are some good games here.

But it remains true that most devs here are making games for the first time. Some people have absolutely no skills before starting and some may already be budding artists or programmers but have little skill putting everything together. So it should be no surprise when there are a number of bad games. Wether they're cloneso f something else or not.
The big problem is not that they're clones. On the contrary, the fact that they're mere clones should make them good copycats, at least - and yet they miserably and utterly fail. Always.

So, why do they fail while the Real Thing is such a fucking damn good VN?

That's my question: they only need to be fucking damn knockoffs in order to be only a decent game. And yet they fail. Why?

I have my hunch, and I want to hear your opinions.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
[...] any ideas?
No they don't have the starts of one, reason why they made a clone game and why it's a bad one.

When the premise of the game is "I've seen that game that is making money, I'll do the same thing and make money too", why being surprised by the poor result ?

Reactions: Ottoeight

nulnil

May 18, 2021
Personally I think it's because there wasn't alot to the source material. I played through a fairly large chunk of the game and still didn't see what everyone liked about it.