Why are basically all RPGM style games such low resolution?

Oir

Nov 5, 2018
Sorry, I've never made an RPGM game before.

Why is it that they all seem to be such low resolution to the point of being a tiny window on any modern HD display?

Is it impossible to make full HD RPGM games? Or at least have it scale reasonably to a full HD gameplay? Is there something about the RPGM engine that makes it very hard to code a full HD game? Is it just more time consuming to draw up graphics in full HD rather than a lower resolution?

It's not a resources thing where a full HD RPGM game would lag computers is it? I can't imagine RPGM being so poorly optimized that a full HD game would lag any computer really.

Thanks for your time and sorry for my lack of understanding!

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Developers too lazy to increase resolution, for MV at least all it takes is clicking on a tab and writing the desired resolution.

Loqic

Royal Jelly
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
Most of the older RPGM versions are more limited I guess. No clue why they still use it, but they do for some reason.
As for MV, all it takes is an afternoon of researching some basic settings and dicking around with plugins to make something really nice. I've messed around with the program for a day or two and it's really fun to play around with. I made a nice map from scratch, added some plugins, made it widescreen and higher resolution, added custom stuff, etc, without any prior experience.
So if devs are still messing about with low res 4:3 aspect ratios and standard maps after a year of development... well, I guess they just don't care about it.

There is however a case to be made for the amount of cells you get to see that's linked to the resolution. Lower resolution is more zoomed in, so making a 4K RPGM game might be unplayable with your tiny tiny character and NPC's.

What's even worse is when they don't enable resizing the window. -_-
Luckily there is ResizeEnable that you can find on this forum.

Oir

Nov 5, 2018
Most of the older RPGM versions are more limited I guess. No clue why they still use it, but they do for some reason.
As for MV, all it takes is an afternoon of researching some basic settings and dicking around with plugins to make something really nice. I've messed around with the program for a day or two and it's really fun to play around with. I made a nice map from scratch, added some plugins, made it widescreen and higher resolution, added custom stuff, etc, without any prior experience.
So if devs are still messing about with low res 4:3 aspect ratios and standard maps after a year of development... well, I guess they just don't care about it.

There is however a case to be made for the amount of cells you get to see that's linked to the resolution. Lower resolution is more zoomed in, so making a 4K RPGM game might be unplayable with your tiny tiny character and NPC's.

What's even worse is when they don't enable resizing the window. -_-
Luckily there is ResizeEnable that you can find on this forum.
Ahhh I see what you mean about having your character be super tiny on a wide resolution. Food for thought at the very least and it's a relief to hear that it's definitely possible and perhaps even a simple matter. Thanks for the response (same to the user above you).

PirateWorks

Game Developer
Dec 19, 2018
Mostly people use RpgMaker as an engine because of how easy it is to get into making games without learning much code, game logic etc. When you increase the resolution of the game window, you need to also increase the size of characters, buildings, menus or anything else that you see in the game. The remaking of all assets for bigger resolution is a lot of work which defeats the main purpose of "easy game building". Also, if you are going to put in so much work you would rather use unity or unreal engines for higher functionality and other features.

For RpgMaker vx ace or older versions, its an engine limitation but for RpgMaker MV, an HD game is doable I would say. Its like I said, if you have the time and resources to make an HD game, other engines got more features to offer than RpgMaker. For example, you have to draw sprite sheets in RpgMaker for combat animations but, if you have the resources, you would rather use skeleton based animations to achieve higher quality and save time.

I hope what I said makes sense lol.