Why are there new accounts often giving 100% saves?

zoneitorboneit

Apr 30, 2018
For many games, people ask for 100% completion saves but I noticed that often times it's accounts with 0-3 previous posts that provide them.
I have to admit that I often used them and they usually worked but does anyone find it concerning that it's usually these types of accounts that provide them?
The problem here being that the rar (compressed) files could have something malicious in them.

Cirro84

Resident Evil-doer, part-time Candyman
Dec 24, 2016
Hm, yeah, ppl should really always think of taking care about their downloads. Games are usually checked twice already.

In dubio pro reo. Could also be those newbies just want to earn likes, and it is an easy way to get 'em. These saves can be uploaded to e.g. VirusTotal and Jotti’s Malware Scan and checked. Often ppl already did this.

W65

May 31, 2018
Er, isn't it most likely that some lurker says to themself "wait, I actually have that save," and registers or starts posting just to be helpful?

Except for older Japanese games on sagaoz.net, it's not like there's a central repository for game saves, so we're reliant on just whoever happens to have finished some game. If it's a complicated game at all, then it's likely to not have too many people who organically go ahead and finish the game. If it's an unpopular one, then maybe nearly nobody will have a save like that.

Too, most game saves are going to be relatively small, single, non-executable files. It'd be hard to package malware into those without exploiting some known problem with the engine the game uses--which is totally possible in theory, yeah.

Anyhow, I dunno if it seems all that nefarious to me. As has already been said in this thread, about all you can do if you want to use the save is have it scanned. I still think it's probably a fairly safe activity, though, barring there being known exploits circulating for the popular game-creation engines.