Why aren't there any more adult games that use SFM for the art assets?

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
This past decade we've seen the rise of 3D adult games with many of them using models and renders made in Daz, Blender and other famous 3D modeling software.

But also there are a lot of 3D games that use other types of software such as Honey Select, Koikatsu and similars. Custom characters are created using those tools (which are games themselves) and sex poses are animated and then used as art assets in Renpy and RPGM. Now I'm not sure what are the legal implications of using such assets as I'm not a lawyer so maybe there's something that I'm missing but...

This begs the question: Why aren't there adult games using Source Film Maker? I think we don't even need to mention SFM's popularity in the animation community, so why when it comes to games there aren't any using those models or animations? Is it a technical issue or a legal one? And if it is a legal issue, then how come that isn't an issue when it comes to using the 3D models of the Illusion games mentioned above?

Of course, I cant say that I'm aware of the entirety of adult games ever released, so please if you know of games that use SFM I appreciate your comment educating me, and maybe I'm wrong in assuming that there aren't any, but I still get the impression that we should be seeing way more games using it but for some reason or another they aren't being made.

Reactions: handa seishuu

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
You're asking why no one has made a game using a movie making tool?

Because it's a movie making tool.

You're also comparing the legal side of using Steams tools to Illusions assets ..... 2 entirely different things.

Eikichi

Dec 18, 2018

Furabia

Donor
Jun 23, 2019
Eikichi wow thank you so much! That's what I'm talking about! I recognized the distinctive sfm 3D style right away in the game you mentioned.

So I did as you said and dived a bit using the search function and found some games (including the one you mentioned) and there aren't that many of them, with a good portion even abandoned it seems. Intriguing.

You're asking why no one has made a game using a movie making tool?
Hmm yeah? It is a movie making tool but obviously the models and assets used to make such movies are 3D and can be fully manipulated at will during production. Thus SFM is a medium that is technically as valid as any other tool to create assets that can be used in a game.

And given Eikichi answer, it is clear that you were as ignorant as I was of those game's existance which greatly diminishes the merit of your entire comment, since you asserted something with a lot of confidence but didn't have the proper knowledge of the subject matter. Case in point, and thus my question: Why aren't sfm made assets used more in games? Because clearly it is possible to do so, but I find a huge discrepancy between the tool's popularity/accessibility compared to the small amount of games using it.

You're also comparing the legal side of using Steams tools to Illusions assets ..... 2 entirely different things.
Care to elaborate? Again, I'm no lawyer and also I'm unfamiliar with the licenses of Illusion's games... but from the little I know I don't think that the custom characters created in their games can be used for any commercial purposes, including indirectly benefiting (aka game released for free but dev has patreon)... so how would that be any different than with using sfm models?

So unless the illusion game's licences strictly mention that custom characters can be used in that way, I fail to see how they are "entirelly different" as you put it.

Reactions: handa seishuu