Why don't people use ppt to make word adventure games?

watermankaku

Feb 6, 2021
I find ppt is very easy to make, and most functions can be easily realized without code. Why don't you use this software?

ganku

Nov 16, 2021
Because people use what they want to use.
Why aren't all video games shooters?
Why aren't all crustaceans crabs when they tend to be evolutionary 'superior' to lobsters for example?
Why does space smell like burnt steak?
If somebody uses something else it's probably because 1) they find something about the software they chose to be superior 2) they're more familiar with the software they chose or 3) they threw a dart at a giant dart board of all possible software programs they could have used for the same task and that's what they hit so that's what they used. The third option seems unlikely to me too, but the possibility is not 0% so I felt I had to include it.

SecretSal

Aug 25, 2016
By 'word adventure' games, you mean visual novels?
Powerpoint sounds like a very clunky way of doing those. Your project is going to be very slow once you put in a decent number of images in there, and navigating it is going to be even slower. Editing a text file will always be more efficient in the long run.

Plus, coding in interpreter languages like Python isn't that hard, and considering that games take months-years to complete development, there's enough time to get up to speed with the skillset if you plan the project well enough.

Whereas with Powerpoint, you'll hit the ceiling quickly and then spend most of your time trying to get the software to jump through hoops trying to do something that isn't its main strength.

Rafster

Bear chaser
Game Developer
Mar 23, 2019
Ugh... those games are made with powerpoint? I worked for years in a company who had their system .. on Access 97 (for those who don't know, access is part of MS office suite, which includes powerpoint. I dunno if it still exists), so I guess the language is the same. So thanks but no thanks, I wouldn't code a single line of code on that language again. I'm going to compare it to Twine, which is the tool I use for my VN + Free roam game.

Showing images is not so simple, let alone the formatting of each dialogue box, or the entire programming of the NPCs, inventory, battles, etc... hell, if I had to change, I would learn ren'py from zero instead of touching anything related to powerpoint.

Sorry but no, I'm not doing shit on powerpoint. NEVER. I'm fine using twine as the dev tool for my game. And my game is what you call a "word game" since is heavily text based.