Why so much VN in unreal and Unity?

SylvanaHellsing

Mar 22, 2019
Calm down, lower your weapons, I'm not here to criticize the VN, you like it, I don't like it, we each have our reasons...

The only thing I don't understand is that Unity and Unreal engine (5) are such powerful tools, and they can be used in "visual program" mode... Why limit yourself to VN? There are plenty of other tools or much better game engines to do this...
I'm also mainly doing this thread to find a little pearl in the field of Unreal or Unity, in 3D, I'm asking for the moon, I suspect, but a 3D game, with a very nice animation, where you can see some details, or you can walk around freely as you wish, or you can watch sex scenes carefully, and not have a simple "next" button

I suspect that people will answer me to mod skyrim, or mod some other game of the genre, but it won't be the same, since the engines are starting to be largely exceeded, which the majority of mods tend to do bug the game...

Reactions: Estella69

baka

Engaged Member
Modder
Oct 13, 2016
u can use whatever language u like and know. maybe the DEV know how to program in those languages?
doesn't matter how powerful the language is, as long u are comfortable with it and it can do the job. even if what u need is something simple.
theres no big advantage to use those just to show pictures. u can use almost any language for that.
but effects, smoke, rain, morphing, smoothing, lightning etc. u will need something powerful that can use the gpu as its maximum.

its also about operating system, how it can be distributed in different system, how much u need to include in the package.
how well it run in different system, how much cpu/gpu they need for the same job. now, it all depends on what u do, just showing still pictures demands dont require that much, but again, effects, that can eat a lot of cpu/gpu.

sliveart777

Nov 12, 2019
The only reason I can see is that the code is more flexible. It's easier to program aspects of the game that may not fall under what is normally included in a typical Renpy VN.

I think a good example of this is trainer or management games. Trainers CAN be done in Renpy, but it's probably easier to implement those specific mechanics using the flexibility of Unity. I'm pretty sure this is why Mystwood Manor was made in Unity rather than Renpy. At the end of the day, Renpy is a rather simple engine designed to make a very specific game. As soon as a design goes outside those intended bounds so to speak, it becomes easier to use more flexible engines.

Reactions: woody554

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
I seem to recall that Unity at least is free to use, which is handy if you have the experince and need to go more complex on the mechanics or assets of a game.

Reactions: fusspot