Will 6gb Nvidia Graphics Card will be enough for Daz

LewdPie

Jul 22, 2018
Hi, so I decided to build a PC for Daz budget is limited.
Ryzen 5 3500, 512gb SSD, 1 tb HDD and other required things.
I have one question will 6gb Nvidia 1660 be enough.
I will try to make renders in 1920x1080 removing all unnecessary objects in the scene and no animation until I upgraded the GPU.
Will that work?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
The 6Gb could be workable - I do all my rendering on cards that have 8Gb, and (with a bit of care) don't run into any problems.

My main concern would be the generation of the 1660 - I'm not sure what architecture it's on. iRay recently dropped support for one of the older architectures. I would double check whether that card's still supported over on the Daz forums before I spend the cash on it.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
6gb is enough for simple scenes or if you go to G3 in stead of G8. I would not pick up 2x4GB you'd be very limited in what you'd be able to render.
The 6Gb could be workable - I do all my rendering on cards that have 8Gb, and (with a bit of care) don't run into any problems.

My main concern would be the generation of the 1660 - I'm not sure what architecture it's on. iRay recently dropped support for one of the older architectures. I would double check whether that card's still supported over on the Daz forums before I spend the cash on it.
I doubt this will be an issue the 1660 is from the same era as the 20x cards but lacks RTX support. I doubt Iray will drop a card like that already. (Though it never hurts to check of course).

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I doubt this will be an issue the 1660 is from the same era as the 20x cards but lacks RTX support. I doubt Iray will drop a card like that already. (Though it never hurts to check of course).
Yes - the 1660 is the Turing architecture, so that's not an issue. It was just a model number I hadn't run across before, so wasn't certain what architecture it was.

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
6gb is enough for simple scenes [...] I would not pick up 2x4GB you'd be very limited in what you'd be able to render.

It used to be the case that 2x 4GB cards meant only 4GB of scene space within Daz, but rendered quicker by using both cards.

I believe that some recent changes meant that it will now make use of the 8GB total for larger scenes.
I don't use Daz, but I used to share the "2x 4GB is only 4GB for Daz" warning. But a couple of people have said recently that it is no longer the case.
Edit: It's only 20- series RTX cards via NVLink (hardware connector). So, no... not for the most of us I guess yet.

If true (and not dependant on specific models), 2x 4GB might offer flexibility of faster <4GB scenes compared with a single 6GB card, while still able to deliver up to 8GB scenes.

Last edited:

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
It used to be the case that 2x 4GB cards meant only 4GB of scene space within Daz, but rendered quicker by using both cards.

I believe that some recent changes meant that it will now make use of the 8GB total for larger scenes.
I don't use Daz, but I used to share the "2x 4GB is only 4GB for Daz" warning. But a couple of people have said recently that it is no longer the case.

If true (and not dependant on specific models), 2x 4GB might offer flexibility of faster <4GB scenes compared with a single 6GB card, while still able to deliver up to 8GB scenes.
That needs more investigation. I would love to have 16GB of videomemory available in stead of 2x8 if true... My scenes tend to be slightly massive...

79flavors

Respected User
Jun 14, 2018
That needs more investigation. I would love to have 16GB of videomemory available in stead of 2x8 if true... My scenes tend to be slightly massive...

A quick google search and I found it's something to do with NVLink.
Here's one discussion (there are others)...

Apparently it works with mainly RTX 20- series and Titan RTX cards though.

So doesn't sound hopeful for a 1660.

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Ah yes NVLink is only for high end cards. it's not for us mere mortals unfortunately. it requires a special connector to link the cards together.

Romirom

Jul 5, 2018
6gb is enough for simple scenes or if you go to G3 in stead of G8.

My GTX 1060 - 6GB works like a charm for Genesis 8 Figures if you know what you're doing. You don't necessarily need huge amounts of vram. There are a ton of workarounds like deleting objects that are out of the camera and so on.

I recently tried to load this wolf ( ) and added just one character and my vram was completely eaten away. Must have something to do with the fur. But it looks so goood, damn. Would be interesting if someone with more vram could try the grey wolf with one or two characters in iray. Fur seems to be a huge problem for my 1060.

Anyways, if you're trying to load 4-6 characters including hair, environment and genitals then it can be too much. I'm still planning on getting myself a 3090 or something similar by the end of the year.

Cheers

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
My GTX 1060 - 6GB works like a charm for Genesis 8 Figures if you know what you're doing. You don't necessarily need huge amounts of vram. There are a ton of workarounds like deleting objects that are out of the camera and so on.

I recently tried to load this wolf ( ) and added just one character and my vram was completely eaten away. Must have something to do with the fur. But it looks so goood, damn. Would be interesting if someone with more vram could try the grey wolf with one or two characters in iray. Fur seems to be a huge problem for my 1060.

Anyways, if you're trying to load 4-6 characters including hair, environment and genitals then it can be too much. I'm still planning on getting myself a 3090 or something similar by the end of the year.

Cheers
Yeah, using dForce hair can cause chew up a lot of vRAM but did a quick test to see (the wolf + 2 G8.1 figures).

wolf_test.png
Used a total of 7.3 GB so you'd likely need to split this scene in 2 if using less than 8GB. And this does not include any 3D environment, only a HDRI so you'd probably still need to do some optimization

Did a quick test without the wolf and it was approaching 6 GB of vRAM so using a 6GB card could still cause some problems when using multiple figures, so some scenes you'll have to render in parts and combine afterwards.

However, I did get by using a 8GB card before upgrading and over time, optimizing the scene becomes second nature with only a few times I had to resort to splitting the scene up.

Romirom

Jul 5, 2018
Yeah, using dForce hair can cause chew up a lot of vRAM but did a quick test to see (the wolf + 2 G8.1 figures).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Used a total of 7.3 GB so you'd likely need to split this scene in 2 if using less than 8GB. And this does not include any 3D environment, only a HDRI so you'd probably still need to do some optimization

Did a quick test without the wolf and it was approaching 6 GB of vRAM so using a 6GB card could still cause some problems when using multiple figures, so some scenes you'll have to render in parts and combine afterwards.

However, I did get by using a 8GB card before upgrading and over time, optimizing the scene becomes second nature with only a few times I had to resort to splitting the scene up.
First of all thanks for testing. So that proved my point of the wolf fur eating all my vram. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.

Anyway, the idea of splitting the images in 2 renders and combining them in post is method I used to do before but doesn't work that well for my kink with this wolf and it's fur in particular. You know... the animal human sexy encounter thing.

Splitting it in two parts could technically work if I'm disabling the fur for the first render and activating it again for the second without the actor but because the actor and the wolf with the fur would be in touch in the final image all the shadows created by the fur would make it impossible to combine afterwards.

Lewdpanda95

Sep 9, 2018
Daz models and props use 4K maps for almost any surface. You can convert many of them to lower resolutions and free up tons of memory without reducing the visual quality, especially if the objects are further away. There's this (link) tool for example with which you can do this quite comfortably.

GrayTShirt

Game Developer
Nov 27, 2019
I was using a 2060 with 6gb and I wound up having to hide almost everything in a scene except the dForce hair, model, and whatever the hair fell on (usually a pillow). If I kept getting an error, I would keep hiding things until it was able to simulate.
I would also simulate the model in it's own file then merge it into a scene. One of my characters has alot of dForce clothing and hair. I just had the model in one file by itself, ran simulation, save, then merge that file/model into the scene I was ultimately rendering.