Will you still manually translate a game when a ChatGPT translation for that game already exist?

Will you still spending hours to translate the game?

• Total voters

Takomon

Nov 20, 2018
I'm curious if translator still going to translate a game that already ChatGPT translated and majority of people react positively about it, since it translate with about 80% accuracy, I don't really see the point anyone would spend possibly months to translate it when most people already played it in day 3 after release.

Last edited:

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
AI will eventually make a lot of jobs obsolete. Translators are one of them. But it's not there yet. There is still a gap in quality.

From a player's perspective, only the quality of the translation matters. If the ChatGPT output was good enough, with minimal inconsistencies and characterizations being adequately preserved, I probably wouldn't bother replaying a manual translation.

I'm interested in how translators feel about it though. I imagine it's the same for any field. Some will use it as a tool to help their work. Some will despair at the prospect. Some will fight it tooth and nail.

Reactions: Troqu

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
I translate games because I like those games and it's a nice passtime, not because I'm itching to play them in my language. I also think I'm giving something valuable to those devs by creating a quality translation and sharing it with others so that maybe they can expand their markets. I see it like another way to support the development by making that game available to a bunch of other players who may decide to support the dev themselves. I feel better with myself, so I'll keep translating games even if those IA translations are perfect, which is still a big if. Of course, if devs find those IA useful and the results are acceptable enough, I guess I'll eventually run out of good games to translate.

It also happens that usually I don't even like to play games translated by other translators, because I'm unconsciously searching for mistakes or ways to improve them instead of actually enjoying the game (and of course I avoid MTL like the plague). The more I translate, the more I'm experiencing this even with mainstream media (here in Spain almost everything is released dubbed).

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
If a game has a good translation it doesn't matter if it was done by chatgpt or a translator, I wouldn't see a point about translating said game again.

Another thing is comparing a low quality translation with a high quality one.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
If a game has a good translation it doesn't matter if it was done by chatgpt or a translator, I wouldn't see a point about translating said game again.
Good is one thing, but wouldn't faithful be better ?
There's puns, word play, and few other things like wrote accents. Will the AI take them literally, or will it understand and find a way to change the words to keep both the spirit of the sentence and, by example, the pun ?

By example, in his books William Gibson invented the concept of I.C.E. (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics) as evolution of our current firewalls. An acronym that represent the meaning, but also carry a feeling ; those AIs are cold and mortal. The french translator decided to do the same, translating the acronym into the french word, and finding the words that would fit the acronym will still presenting the same meaning ; what gave G.L.A.C.E for Générateur de Logiciel Anti-intrusion par Contremesures Électroniques (anti-intrustion software generator using electronic countermeasure). This way, even if he don't know English, or don't link "I.C.E" with "ice", the reader will still have both the meaning and the feeling.

As long as translation AI will not be able to do this all by themselves, as good as they will be, they'll not be faithful and you'll loose something while playing the game. The worse being that you'll probably don't notice that you lost something, precisely because the translation will be good.

moskyx

Engaged Member
Jun 17, 2019
Good is one thing, but wouldn't faithful be better ?
There's puns, word play, and few other things like wrote accents. Will the AI take them literally, or will it understand and find a way to change the words to keep both the spirit of the sentence and, by example, the pun ?

By example, in his books William Gibson invented the concept of I.C.E. (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics) as evolution of our current firewalls. An acronym that represent the meaning, but also carry a feeling ; those AIs are cold and mortal. The french translator decided to do the same, translating the acronym into the french word, and finding the words that would fit the acronym will still presenting the same meaning ; what gave G.L.A.C.E for Générateur de Logiciel Anti-intrusion par Contremesures Électroniques (anti-intrustion software generator using electronic countermeasure). This way, even if he don't know English, or don't link "I.C.E" with "ice", the reader will still have both the meaning and the feeling.

As long as translation AI will not be able to do this all by themselves, as good as they will be, they'll not be faithful and you'll loose something while playing the game. The worse being that you'll probably don't notice that you lost something, precisely because the translation will be good.
You don't want to know how many hours I've spent trying to come up with several well-known Spanish songs that could be distorted by certain blondie ensign...

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
You don't want to know how many hours I've spent trying to come up with several well-known Spanish songs that could be distorted by certain blondie ensign...
More than five minutes that I read your post, and I'm still laughing :ROFLMAO:

Not just because of the song, but because this ensign is clearly a pain in the ass to translate faithfully.

gaogao

Aug 3, 2017
AI will eventually make a lot of jobs obsolete. Translators are one of them...
That would only matter if F95zoners pay translators to begin with.

A lot of translators here do this for their own personal reasons that are less tied to financial purposes. So I don't quite believe AI is making their effort any meaningless (yet).

So for many translators out there: You are the heroes F95zone needs but does not deserve. (y)