MadMerlin

Game Developer
Aug 21, 2017
An open letter to the Witch Trainer Silver community

This letter is about a change in leadership for Silver and the current situation about the project.

A bit more than a year ago, Mo took over a dead project (4 Houses & Silver), having worked on it himself for a while.
Initially he worked towards adding small sized content to the Silver mod, just by himself with the support of his Patreon.
Soggy then helped as a dedicated artist for the project and soon after I (MadMerlin), Asease1 and Johnny joined, also a couple more that were part of Silver before (Dosto), came back and contributed again.

What we had now was a team of modders that worked on the mod for free, that contributed their free time to a game they liked, while the Patreon support was largely utilized for commissions and new art.
This was all perfectly fine until a shift happened around six months ago where Mo would communicate with us less and less. Work on his own content in private, while the team worked on theirs simultaneously.
His last public Patreon post was more than four months ago (early September) for v1.33c.

You might've noticed we've added content and updates since then, yet it wasn't posted on pastebin or Mo's Patreon.
At this point it had gotten worse where Mo had stopped communicating with us all together, with the exception of Soggy.
Still Soggy was asked to draw new art for Silver, and that made it into the game eventually, but no where near enough the current figures from Patreon support.

It's been early November since Soggy last heard from Mo.
We've seen some activity since then, with him adding some writing to the github, but he hasn't commissioned anything or communicated with us.

Right now we are in a situation where we feel like changes has to be made, fast. Both for our fans, supporters and ourselves. Letting thing keep going as is would not only be unfair to you, but also to us.

We have discussed the situation with the whole team many times over the past few months and got to an agreement that it would be best if somebody else would be in charge of not only the Patreon, but also Discord, Twitter,...

We feel like the main purpose is to keep the whole team informed and on the same page when it comes to development, commissions and so on so me (Merlin) and Soggy, as our lead artist will be in charge of these platforms.

Now we can't simply take over Mo's private Patreon and Discord ownership transferal is tricky.
We can only ask that, if you want to keep supporting Witch Trainer Silver, our new Patreon is going to be the one that will support the project:

We'll be able to provide more consistent content, previews and art updates. And in time things like tier rewards for people to be able to influense the content directly.
We'll also post regular updates on our Twitter page and our new Discord as always.
You can expect news about any and all project we are working on in the following months.

TeamSilver

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018

This letter is about a change in leadership for Silver and the current situation about the project.

A bit more than a year ago, Mo took over a dead project (4 Houses & Silver), having worked on it himself for a while.
Initially he worked towards adding small sized content to the Silver mod, just by himself with the support of his Patreon.
Soggy then helped as a dedicated artist for the project and soon after I (MadMerlin), Asease1 and Johnny joined, also a couple more that were part of Silver before (Dosto), came back and contributed again.

What we had now was a team of modders that worked on the mod for free, that contributed their free time to a game they liked, while the Patreon support was largely utilized for commissions and new art.
This was all perfectly fine until a shift happened around six months ago where Mo would communicate with us less and less. Work on his own content in private, while the team worked on theirs simultaneously.
His last public Patreon post was more than four months ago (early September) for v1.33c.

You might've noticed we've added content and updates since then, yet it wasn't posted on pastebin or Mo's Patreon.
At this point it had gotten worse where Mo had stopped communicating with us all together, with the exception of Soggy.
Still Soggy was asked to draw new art for Silver, and that made it into the game eventually, but no where near enough the current figures from Patreon support.

We've seen some activity since then, with him adding some writing to the github, but he hasn't commissioned anything or communicated with us.

Right now we are in a situation where we feel like changes has to be made, fast. Both for our fans, supporters and ourselves. Letting thing keep going as is would not only be unfair to you, but also to us.

We have discussed the situation with the whole team many times over the past few months and got to an agreement that it would be best if somebody else would be in charge of not only the Patreon, but also Discord, Twitter,...

We feel like the main purpose is to keep the whole team informed and on the same page when it comes to development, commissions and so on so me (Merlin) and Soggy, as our lead artist will be in charge of these platforms.

Now we can't simply take over Mo's private Patreon and Discord ownership transferal is tricky.
We can only ask that, if you want to keep supporting Witch Trainer Silver, our new Patreon is going to be the one that will support the project:

We'll be able to provide more consistent content, previews and art updates. And in time things like tier rewards for people to be able to influense the content directly.
We'll also post regular updates on our Twitter page and our new Discord as always.
You can expect news about any and all project we are working on in the following months.

TeamSilver
If it means that we keep getting content for the best game on the site, I'll go donate right now. You should report the OP with the new link though. I'd report it, but I don't think the mods will do it unless a dev reports it. Also, the new banner you guys have on Patreon is sick, you should update the OP with that as well.

Reactions: Oddball2k

anubis1970

Engaged Member
Mar 1, 2018

TeamSilver
It sucks that Mo has stopped communicating but I think the rest of the team is doing the right thing by not letting this wonderful mod die.

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
Is there a new game on the horizon?

Yes, we are currently also working on our own trainer game, in an all new setting!
With the help of Witch Trainer, and working on this mod for over a year, we have grown confident enough to create our very own game.
However, we won't stop supporting Witch Trainer anytime soon. There will be more content updates for all of the girls in the upcoming months.
This game will be developed by our team simultaneous to Witch Trainer, with a playable demo sometime in the later half of the year.
We'll share our plans for the new game very soon. ;)
Best news I've heard all day.

cold_realms

Aug 7, 2018
I notice on the new Patreon that there are 5 girls listed and five shown are Tonks, Susan, Hermione, Cho, and Luna, but isn't there 6? Have we abandoned Astoria?

Muffeh

Jun 25, 2017
I notice on the new Patreon that there are 5 girls listed and five shown are Tonks, Susan, Hermione, Cho, and Luna, but isn't there 6? Have we abandoned Astoria?
Given the state of Patreon I don't think promoting Astoria on there is a good idea.

Reactions: Wyrdo

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
I'm not insinuating anything, but this quote is not a good sign. And seeing what happened with IW, it actually is anything but good.
Don't compare these guys to the idiots who develop Innocent Witches. That's just insulting. I don't see how it's a bad sign at all, tbh. They said that they plan on making content for silver mod well into the foreseeable future, but will eventually start working on another trainer game simultaneously. How is that a bad thing?

Shardoom

Spunkbubble
Donor
May 4, 2017
Don't compare these guys to the idiots who develop Innocent Witches. That's just insulting. I don't see how it's a bad sign at all, tbh. They said that they plan on making content for silver mod well into the foreseeable future, but will eventually start working on another trainer game simultaneously. How is that a bad thing?
Because splitting time/resources between two projects can only mean slower progress for both. Concentrating on completion of one before beginning another is always preferable.

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
Because splitting time/resources between two projects can only mean slower progress for both. Concentrating on completion of one before beginning another is always preferable.
Nice assumption. I'm not buying it. Plenty of developing groups work on several projects simultaneously and it doesn't always mean slower content, it just means more content.

Shardoom

Spunkbubble
Donor
May 4, 2017
Nice assumption. I'm not buying it. Plenty of developing groups work on several projects simultaneously and it doesn't always mean slower content, it just means more content.
EVERY project I've subbed too that has announced new projects to run simultaneous to current has slowed progress. Every - single - one. No assumptions, simply giving you a legitimate answer drawn from personal experience.

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
EVERY project I've subbed too that has announced new projects to run simultaneous to current has slowed progress. Every - single - one. No assumptions, simply giving you a legitimate answer drawn from personal experience.
You're assuming that it's going to be the same story. I really doubt it tbh. If they want people to subscribe to them in order to fund their new game, they will most likely make sure to not let up on the WT content anytime soon. Yeah, sorry, but forgive me if I don't hop on board the pessimism train quite yet.

Shardoom

Spunkbubble
Donor
May 4, 2017
You're assuming that it's going to be the same story. I really doubt it tbh. If they want people to subscribe to them in order to fund their new game, they will most likely make sure to not let up on the WT content anytime soon. Yeah, sorry, but forgive me if I don't hop on board the pessimism train quite yet.
Well you are of course entitled to you're own opinion. I'm going to use past experience as a guide and remain cautious. :)

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
As a new member of the team I can assure you that currently we are fully focused on the Witch Trainer and having a second project changes nothing. The internal problems that the team had before have been solved which allows us to work a lot faster than before, the release plan has been already written down for the upcoming six months and counting. There are really great and talented people working on the game, willing to spend their time and blood just to make it the way it was imagined. If you dont believe me, at least believe in them, they have been working on the game for a one year+, they still do, and always will. :)

Shardoom

Spunkbubble
Donor
May 4, 2017
As a new member of the team I can assure you that currently we are fully focused on the Witch Trainer and having a second project changes nothing. The internal problems that the team had before have been solved which allows us to work a lot faster than before, the release plan has been already written down for the upcoming six months and counting. There are really great and talented people working on the game, willing to spend their time and blood just to make it the way it was imagined. If you dont believe me, at least believe in them, they have been working on the game for a one year+, they still do, and always will. :)
I've heard all of this before, many times...
That said, I'm not invested in this game/mod so either way I'm not 'that' bothered. Perhaps you'll surprise me and you'll be able to actually split your resources and not have it affect speed, but forgive me if I don't hold out too much hope.

DrFog

Sep 18, 2018
Not sure why @LoafyLemon hasn't reposted this over here yet, but:

LoafyLemon
Yesterday at 5:20 PM

Hello fellow Witch Trainers! As I have recently joined the team I'd like to showcase some of the things I have been working on recently. I believe the work speaks for itself thats why I would like to jump straight to the point.

This is the new desk menu that I have drawn along with improved map image, it was quite fun task and I can simply hope it is to your liking! As I am a player myself, I have made sure to make the new desk self-explanatory so the players always know what the interactive elements do. You will have to wait and see how exactly it works, lets make it a surprise.

The edges of the map have been redone to make it look more like an actual map, icons have been cleaned up and some of them replaced to make it more visible for the player, the whole image has been upscaled 2x to allow renpy scaling function work better. Both the desk and the map have been coded by @MadMerlin and myself.

This is just one small project I have been working on but believe me there is much more, but thats a tale for another day.

P.S. Looks like Genie left some cards on the desk, I wonder what kind of game could he possibly be playing?

1547940383992.png

cold_realms

Aug 7, 2018
Given the state of Patreon I don't think promoting Astoria on there is a good idea.

Good point. Honestly i would have preferred a middle ground on her behavior. Would prefer her to act less like an 8yo and more age appropriate to the genre anyway.

4.20 star(s) 75 Votes