Worth upgrading computer for rendering? (Daz, iray)

Endomorphian

Dec 12, 2017
Hi, I'm doing some rendering in Daz and I have a GTX 970, intel i5, 24 gb ddr3 ram. I really would like faster renders, but I was wondering how much improvement can you actually get in rendering speeds. I can spend about 2500$, but if the gain is small, then I'd rather not.

Does anyone have any experience with upgrading and the resulting gains in rendering speed?

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
I had, for example, a GeForce GTX 1060 among other specs. I've upgraded to 1080 and I can tell that it reduced the rending time.
Good improvement is the RAM (32 will do a good job). When you render you will see that the more complex the scenes are, the more memory will use (GPU+RAM). So, my recommendation for now is to upgrade your video card and your rams.
A tip for rendering is to reduce the max the Max Time in the render settings panel from Daz3d. From what I figured, basically you will set Daz to render your scene but in no time limit so it will take a bit longer but you will not have anymore the case where the rendering will use your CPU also (without checking it.)

Hope it helped.

Reactions: Endomorphian

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Iray switches to CPU when you don't have enough Video Memory on your GPU's. Iray has to use CPU when rendering with system memory. a 1080 has 8GB of VRAM. 1080ti has 11Gb. Both GPU's have been discontinued. the 2080 and 2080ti are their replacements. other options are to use multiple 1060's as Iray scales with more GPU's

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Iray switches to CPU when you don't have enough Video Memory on your GPU's. Iray has to use CPU when rendering with system memory. a 1080 has 8GB of VRAM. 1080ti has 11Gb. Both GPU's have been discontinued. the 2080 and 2080ti are their replacements. other options are to use multiple 1060's as Iray scales with more GPU's
Yes, it depends on your render settings also but as I've mentioned since I took the time limit, there was no CPU switch since then. Regarding 2080 I think to be buggy because there are new in the market. Also they are expensive for a first investment.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Yes, it depends on your render settings also but as I've mentioned since I took the time limit, there was no CPU switch since then. Regarding 2080 I think to be buggy because there are new in the market. Also they are expensive for a first investment.
That and Iray is not Fully compatible with the 20 series yet. It will be about a year before the updated Iray is put into Daz. Iray Mainly cares about CUDA cores the more the faster a 970 also only has 4gb of video memory so even a 1070 or 1070ti both have 8gb of Vram would be a vast improvement

Endomorphian

Dec 12, 2017
So essentially just getting a graphics card with 8gb or two of them, would be the best spent money at this point. As long as I can fit my scene within 8gb.

Endomorphian

Dec 12, 2017
I did check a typical scene and texture memory consumption was in the 6-7gb range, so 8 should be bare minimum I suppose. With the 11gb it seems I will have to buy new motherboard, PSU, and basically start from scratch.

So maybe something like this:
Is there anything you would change?

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
I did check a typical scene and texture memory consumption was in the 6-7gb range, so 8 should be bare minimum I suppose. With the 11gb it seems I will have to buy new motherboard, PSU, and basically start from scratch.

So maybe something like this:
Is there anything you would change?
I am not a fan of AMD but it is a good config

Jun 29, 2018
Shortly before getting into this 3D stuff I had built a new system:

3.6 Ghz CPU / 32G Ram / 500G SSD / GTX 1060 6GB

After getting into DAZ I wanted to speed things up and I upgraded to a GTX 1080 and I saw a huge improvement in my render speeds. Very much worth it for the speed and the 11GB of memory on the Ti series. I was considering the RTX 2080 Ti but the cost and stories about burnouts held me back so I ordered a 1080 while I still could.

Personally I would only get the 11 GB version. I ran into the memory wall back when I had my 6GB 1060 and it doesn't just slow you down a little, it's nearly unusable. I didn't think the scenes causing the trouble were that large but it adds up quickly.

If you (or anybody) are thinking of building a new system I really would check into getting a NVMe M.2 drive like the Samsung 970 EVO. They are insanely fast, about 5 times faster than a regular SSD drive. I have a 1TB one for my DAZ content and it's great. This is the one I went with:

If your mother board doesn't support it but you have an available PCIe X4 connector you can get a card that will let you use this drive type. This is the one I went with as my M.2 slot already had an older/slower M.2 drive in it:

This won't help with rendering but it does make everything else on your system feel smoother. Working in DAZ is so much nicer for me now than it used to be. If your going to build something really nice and a little extra cash won't matter it's really worth checking into.

I like the look of the system you linked. I'd go with the NVMe before the Threadripper CPU but if you can get both it would be great.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You could build a render computer. I was going that way but decided to move to a ryzen system (from a pretty sweet fx system) instead. You can buy old servers with stupid numbers of cores incredibly cheap, set up a network drive, install daz or whatever on them then.... it doesnt really matter how long the render takes.. its not hogging your main computer so who cares. The downsides of this are your power bill (at the top end if you render 24/7 with a very thirsty server id estimate 20 to 40 a month power bill) and that servers arent exactly designed to be quiet. I was looking at an older 64 core xeon server for about 450 before this and ill eventuallly get one . Downside with these is you need to make sure they'll handle the software.

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
I have a gtx 1070, RTX 2070, 850 watt gold+ psu, and an i5 8600k stock clock and it gets the job done really fast. Never ran into a memory wall... but my scenes aren't teribly huge I suppose. I have 32 gb of ram, that was my 2nd best upgrade besides the RTX card.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
I have a gtx 1070, RTX 2070, 850 watt gold+ psu, and an i5 8600k stock clock and it gets the job done really fast. Never ran into a memory wall... but my scenes aren't teribly huge I suppose. I have 32 gb of ram, that was my 2nd best upgrade besides the RTX card.
That's a pretty hardcore card you have there lol. I m going to drop another 16 gb in my system soon and i cannot wait til all the pros start ditching their 1080 ti's cheap so i can pick up two of them to drop in my system :)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
If you want to 'future proof' your system a bit, I'd highly recommend looking at a Threadripper desktop system. Since Daz is mostly Iray centered these days, and if you are going the Iray route, a 1950X (16 cores/32 threads) is more than plenty if you can find one on sale, but even the 8 core Threadripper parts are compelling. Why, you ask? The 64 PCIe lanes.

You can eventually build to a 4 GPU setup with Threadripper (2 x 16 + 2 x 8, or 4 x 8, with leftover lanes for drives, etc.), but you'll need to pick the right motherboard for such a setup.

You could also build an Intel HEDT system and go the 4x8 route (the x16 only gains you a couple of percentage points on rendering speed, more cards vastly offsets this), but Intel is generally more expensive these days.

Plus, the current Threadripper boards are 'forward compatible' with the upcoming 7nm Threadrippers. There's a lot of speculation about these, but at the very least a 32 core option (successor to the 2990 WX) is likely, possibly even a 64 core option if AMD decides that a 64 core Threadripper makes some sense from a marketing standpoint (Intel DID announce a 48 core HEDT processor...).

If you are considering 3Delight as your rendering engine of choice... yeah you can see why a 64 core Threadripper looks so attractive!

EPYC is also an option, but not really for the budget you mentioned. EPYC is the 'server' version of the Zen family, and has 128 PCIe lanes. And there are EPYC boards now that allow you to 'split out' the x16 PCIe slots for say an 8 GPU x8 setup... this is more of a pipe dream though. Threadripper does just fine in a Rendering environment. After the 3rd or 4th GPU, the gains from having multiple GPUs really falll off rendering time wise.

So I'd look at a decent Threadripper board that has 4 properly spaced full length PCIe slots, plus maybe a couple more PCIe slots for other stuff (You may need to get creative to use these though), and maybe start out with the cheapest Threadripper that you can afford (Iray renders won't benefit much from more cores), and the beefiest Nvidia card you can afford. This system will be highly upgradeable later...

Also, an NVME M2 drive for your OS. You will appreciate the faster boot times later. With an additional, affordable large HDD to store most of your files on. I went the 2 TB Samsung 970 EVO SSD route, but then I didn't mind spending $700 (at the time) on an SSD. You can make do with a 512 GB for the OS just fine. Smaller maybe, but you'll fill up 256 GB rather quickly these days...

I'd also recommend locating Daz on a separate partition from your OS, preferably a separate internal drive. That way, you can transplant Daz more quickly into a new system when you are ready to move on to said new system. I have my Daz on my C: partition at the moment, which is a problem since that system just failed... I'm sure the C: partition is fine though, but I'll need to pick up an external NVME enclosure to relocate my Daz product, scene, etc. files onto the new system... I do have backups too, but not for the last couple of weeks. But I digress...

Yeah, give an 8-16 core Threadripper system a very serious look!
;)

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Yed would not recommend a GPU with less than 8GB of VRAM though if you are planning to do Renders higher in resolution then 1440P would go with a 1080ti or 2080ti. If you're using Iray or Octane. System memory and CPU core count matters less in those But 3Delight rendering cores and system memory are everything. I do fine with two GPU's on a Regular Ryzen X1800 but if your going for four GPU's at some point the extra PCIe lanes on Threadripper will help alot