HTML Would a patreon integration technically be considered a breach of game rule 3

jaquine

Game Developer
Apr 12, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm just trying to do my due diligence. If I use OAuth Patreon check for supporters to automatically be granted the premium version of the game without entering cheats, would that breach rule no. 3 of game design?
The rules state:
  1. Multiplayer or online games are not allowed.
    1. Games with online features (update checks, leaderboard, etc) are allowed as long as they can be played offline. A note about it and instructions on how to block the internet connection must be added to the OP.
You are of course still able to circumvent this / ignore it and still normally participate in the game by simply typing in a cheat, I just wanna know I won't develop this feature for nothing. The game won't do an online check or anything when you play it, it would be a user-initiated check (basically a login of sorts) where they would complete the integrated Authentication and the result would then be saved in a variable locally.

Help and thoughts on this would be appreciated!

MarshmallowCasserole

Jun 7, 2018
Not a mod, so take my word with a grain of salt. There are a few games with similar functionality, and it seems they aren't breaking this rule.

However, this I can say with certainty, local jolly roger enjoyers are, putting it mildly, very unkind to this sort of design. And it shows in the reviews.

Insomnimaniac Games

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 25, 2017
However, this I can say with certainty, local jolly roger enjoyers are, putting it mildly, very unkind to this sort of design. And it shows in the reviews.
Not only would this be received unkindly, as you've said, if the game gets even a small amount of popularity, people can and will break it. Many games have tried, none have succeeded.

My advice jaquine is don't bother. You probably don't want to hear this, but this is a piracy site. If people want it, they'll get it. Your time is much better spent on making the best game you can.

jaquine

Game Developer
Apr 12, 2020
I hear you both! It was intended more as an ease of use rather than to lock content behind a "foolproof" method. But I think it's what I needed to hear... better to focus on the story rather than functionality that can be easily replaced by a "cheat" system.

And I fully expect people to break the game here, I've done it all the time too but in the end, devs that go above and beyond to create intuitive designs and good stories easily followed still earned my fiver, not because I wanted the extra content but just to say good job since I've already seen the extra content.

Reactions: Insomnimaniac Games